Kmart no longer offer car insurance. But there's still a bunch of other options.
Kmart no longer offer car insurance. But don't fret! You can compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
Note: the following information is from their previous car insurance offerings.
What cover options are available?
You can get a range of car insurance options with Kmart, including comprehensive cover, third party, and a balance of the two with third party plus fire and theft cover.
|Insured events||Comprehensive||Third party plus fire and theft||Third party only|
|Fire and explosion|
|Storm, hail, lightning, rain, flood or other water damage|
|Own car collision damage|
|Change of car|
|Child seats and baby capsules|
|Uninsured driver cover|
|Emergency accommodation and completion of journey|
|Lifetime repair guarantee|
|New car replacement|
|Replacement of car keys|
|Towing and storage costs|
|Optional benefits at extra cost|
|No claims discount protection|
|No excess windscreen claims|
These are the things your car insurance covers you against. Generally, additional benefits will only apply to insured events.
Your insured events will vary depending on whether you choose comprehensive cover, third party only cover, or third party insurance with fire and theft cover.
Note that the only type of accidental damage covered by this comprehensive policy is the damage that results from collisions. Claims may be denied in the event of a rollover or other accident which does not involve a collision.
Similarly, you are also not covered for impact damage, except as a result of hail. If a tree branch falls on your car, for example, you would only be covered if it fell on your car as the result of a storm or other insured event.
This is a slightly narrower range of cover than what is provided with many other comprehensive car insurance policies, so you might want to get a quote to see if you’re also getting slightly lower premiums, and whether it’s worth it.
These are the automatically included benefits. The extras you have depend on the type of Kmart car insurance you choose.
- Change of car. If you sell and replace your car, Kmart can insure the new vehicle as a continuation of your current policy.
- Child seats and baby capsules. Covers damage to or loss of child seats and baby capsules, up to $400 when resulting from an insured event.
- Uninsured driver cover. If your car is damaged in an accident by an uninsured driver, then you can claim up to $3,000 for repairs to your own vehicle. This is much like a limited level of accident cover for third party cover, when another driver is responsible for the accident.
- Emergency accommodation and completion of journey. If your car is lost or undriveable following an insured event, Kmart will pay for reasonable accommodation and travel costs, up to $100 a day or $500 every 12 months, to return you and your family home.
- Grocery replacement. Up to $200 for lost groceries if stolen or damaged by an insured event.
- Lifetime repair guarantee. Kmart will guarantee any authorised repairs carried out by its approved insurers following for an insured event. This may not apply if you choose to use a repairer other than a Kmart approved one.
- New car replacement. If a new car is written off within the first 12 months of its original registration, you can get an equivalent new replacement.
- Trailer cover. Up to $750 of cover for your trailer while it’s attached to your car.
- Replacement of car keys. Up to $500 to recode or replace your car keys and locks if your keys are stolen.
- Towing and storage costs. Cover for the reasonable costs of towing and storing your car following an insured event, or recovery after it’s stolen.
The following are options, available at extra cost, with comprehensive car insurance only:
- Hire car. An equivalent replacement hire car for up to 14 days, at a maximum cost of $50 a day, if your car is damaged or stolen and needs to be repaired or recovered in an insured event.
- Protected no claims bonus. You can get a discount for not making at-fault claims. With this optional extra, your no claims bonus can be protected when it’s full.
- No excess windscreen replacement. With this optional extra you are able to claim accidental windscreen glass damage, up to once per period of insurance, without paying an excess or it affecting your no claims discount.
You can also choose:
- To insure your car for market value or an agreed value
- To insure your car for personal use or business use
- To adjust your voluntary excess, with comprehensive cover only. Picking a higher excess can reduce your premiums.
Why go with Kmart?
You might be able to find cheaper car insurance with Kmart than other providers, and if you’re a regular customer of Kmart automotive service centres it might be a lot easier to get your car insurance in the same place.
You can also access a range of other automotive services, such as roadside assistance and more.
General exclusions to be aware of
You are not covered for:
- Deliberate or criminal acts, or misuse of your vehicle or equipment, such as overloading it
- Depreciation and wear and tear
- Mechanical, structural or electrical failure
- Modifications that are not legal, or were not disclosed to Kmart
- Your car being used for racing, trials or other motorsports
You may not be covered if you did not accurately disclose your previous driving and car insurance history, specifically if you did not mention prior events, such as:
- being refused car insurance or having it withdrawn
- insurance being cancelled or any renewal of insurance declined or refused
- having your driving licence cancelled, suspended, downgraded, lapsed or having special conditions imposed