Need car insurance in Victoria? Find out what you will need to get suitable cover.
Three steps to get insured in VIC.
- Get Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. In Victoria, each time you renew your car registration, or register a new vehicle, 12 months of CTP cover is built into the cost.
- Choose your damage cover. In addition to CTP cover, you need to choose the type of car damage insurance that works for you.
- Compare and buy online. Once you’ve found the right policy, compare it to other options and buy online. Your car is now fully insured, and you’re good to go.
CTP insurance is mandatory in all states of Australia. In Victoria, the cost of CTP insurance is built into vehicle registration automatically, and you only need to choose liability and damage cover.
Compare comprehensive policies from Australian brands for VIC
What types of car insurance can I get in VIC?
CTP is included whenever you register a vehicle in Victoria, or renew the registration. It protects you from the cost of medical expenses incurred by accidents, but not the cost of the damage to other cars or property. This is where the other types of car insurance come in. Select a cover option that strikes a suitable balance between cost and protection.
|Third party property||Third party property, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Protection for your car||No||Cover for fire damage and theft||Comprehensive protection from many forms of damage|
- Personal liability: Personal liability expenses result from damage to cars or other property in an accident. Any type of car insurance with personal liability cover will include cover for this.
- Protection for your car: Different policies will deliver various levels of protection. Third party property will cover personal liability expenses, while third party property with fire and theft will also cover you from costs associated with vehicle fires or theft. Comprehensive cover, meanwhile, delivers a wide range of protection from a number of different hazards that might befall your car.
How much does car insurance cost in VIC?
Car insurance in VIC is priced according to a similar range of factors as in the rest of Australia. The more likely you are to make a claim, the higher your premiums will be. This includes factors such as age, gender, how safe a driver you are and whether your type of car is more or less likely to be stolen than most.
- VIC has the second highest average car insurance prices in Australia, just behind New South Wales.
Rounded average annual cost of comprehensive car insurance, for recent model cars, in VIC
|Under 25||25 to 29||30 to 44||45+|
- Stamp duty: Different financial services are taxed at different levels around Australia. In VIC, the stamp duty tax is 10% of premiums paid, which is typically added to the cost.
What car insurers can I access in VIC?
The finder.com.au car insurance panel lets you compare options from some of the nation’s top insurers.
Australia Post delivers flexible car insurance that combines protection and affordability. With Australia Post, you can find value-adding extras suitable to specific policy types, such as free trailer cover with comprehensive policies, or cover for the cost of a rental vehicle hire following theft with fire and theft policies.
Thanks to bundled extras, Australia Post car insurance may be the right option for individuals that want to get a bit more value for their money out of the right policy.
Whether you prefer to have comprehensive car insurance but hope to never make a claim, or are one of those people who tries to maximise value from all policy types, QBE may be a suitable option for you with options like excess free windscreen and glass protection and protection for your no-claims bonus. All of QBE car insurance policies let you choose your own repairer to make sure you can access the service you need. Comprehensive policies include cover for vehicle tools and personal effects as well as other benefits.
If you want a highly tailored policy, QBE may be the option for you.
Budget Direct has a reputation for value for money in car insurance, largely thanks to maintaining eligibility requirements. By only insuring safer drivers, Budget Direct keeps costs down and can pass the savings on.
For safe drivers, or those who want to opt out of many unwanted extras, Budget Direct car insurance policies might offer you lower prices for equivalent cover.
Customisability is one of the main areas of focus for Youi. This insurer strives to offer more value and less hassle by making policies simple and easy to customise that can make a significant difference to price and cover. Opt out of the unwanted features and pick the ones you can benefit from to find a policy that’s built for you.
Youi car insurance can deliver additional options for those who want them, while more budget-conscious buyers can save money by opting out of extras.
Simple prices, simple policies and high quality customer service are good qualities to find in an insurer, and ones that Dodo strives to offer. All of Dodo’s car insurance policies carefully match features to a price range, letting you find suitable policies quickly and without necessarily needing to tailor them to the same extent as other providers.
For those who appreciate simplicity and affordability, as well as a useful, but not overwhelming, level of customisability, Dodo car insurance might be the right option.
Woolworths matches competitor prices and also offers bonus features such as discounts for eligible customers to help the right person get more value for money out of their car insurance. With Woolworths, you can customise not only your cover, but also your discounts.
If you’re ready to manage your policy closely and hunt for discounts, you might be able to find more benefits with Woolworths.
With two different comprehensive car insurance policies, Virgin Money has varied options to better suit more people, meaning it’s easier to find the line between affordability and effective cover. In addition to this, existing Virgin customers may be able to access more rewards and other bonuses by holding policies with Virgin Money.
If you want comprehensive car insurance but don’t want to pay for all the extras it usually comes with, or are an existing Virgin customer on the lookout for more discounts, it may be worth considering Virgin Money’s car insurance.