American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
The American Express Platinum Reserve is no longer available. Compare other Amex cards below.
The American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card has not been available for new applications since 1 October 2014. However, we've kept the information online for the benefit of existing customers and for those who are interested. The most similar credit card currently available to the Platinum Reserve is the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card.
Compare current American Express cards with similar perks
You get automatic membership into a rewards program that enables you to earn up to 1 rewards point for every dollar you spend. Redeeming accumulated rewards points presents you with a host of alternatives.
This card also comes with a variety of travel benefits, making it ideal for people who travel frequently. Apart from offering world class service that customers have come to expect of American Express, this card also offers cardholders a number of complementary insurance covers.
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card review
This American Express card allows you to transfer balances which attract a very competitive interest rate for up to 12 months. You can get up to 4 additional cards which don’t attract any annual account-keeping fees, enabling you to earn more rewards points. This card comes with PIN, chip, and contactless technologies, offering convenience along with security. You can use this card at any merchant who accepts American Express, anywhere in the world, and you can also use this card to make online purchases. What requires special mention, though, is its extensive rewards program.
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
- Balance transfer offer. You can take advantage of a balance transfer option if you apply before a given date, and a one-time establishment fee of 1% applies. There is a maximum limit of how much you can transfer, and this is 70% of your approved credit limit. The special balance transfer rate stays in place for 12 months, after which any left over balance attracts a standard interest rate.
- Complimentary insurances. When you buy air tickets using this card you get free domestic and international travel and accident insurance that provides cover to you and to dependent family members. Travel inconvenience cover is in place to offer cover in case of delayed luggage, missed connections, and flight delays. Refund protection ensures you get a credit in case a merchant refuses a qualifying refund within 90 days of purchase. Purchase protection offers cover in case you lose, break, or damage an item within 90 days of purchase. Online fraud protection guarantee ensures you don’t have to pay for fraudulent transactions as long as you notify American Express immediately upon finding out about them.
Features of the American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
- Earning rewards points. When you receive your Platinum Reserve Credit Card, you get complimentary Membership Rewards Ascent program enrolment.
- Restaurant perks. When you use this card to make payments, you earn 3 points on every dollar spent at select restaurants; 2 points per dollar spent on select airlines, tour and cruise operators, and accommodation; and point for every dollar spent on most other transactions. Transactions including utilities and insurances still earn 0.5 point for every dollar spent.
- Points cap. This pattern continues until you reach an annual threshold of points, after which all qualifying transactions earn 1 point for every dollar spent.
- Redeeming rewards points. To redeem points, you can turn to nine leading airline partners, you can make in-store purchases through American Express Travelscene and Harvey World Travel, and you can also redeem points online via Webjet
- Travel privileges. With your Priority Pass, you get access to more than 600 VIP lounges, and your first two visits within every 12-month period are free. Each year you get to avail of a complimentary night’s stay at select luxury hotels, and you can swap this with a domestic or international return airfare to select destinations. Travel Advantage, an online service, offers cardholders quick and easy solutions when it comes to making travel bookings.
- Online access. You can access your account details from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet enabled desktop, laptop, or smartphone. Once online, you can keep track of transactions, you can schedule payments, you can set up reminders so you don’t miss making payments, and you can also track progress of your rewards points.
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.