The American Express Platinum credit card is no longer available. Compare your other American Express options below.
As of the 1st of October 2014, American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card will no longer be available for applications as this credit card is no longer available to new customers. The information provided and cards cannot be applied for, however, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers and for those who are interested.
You can compare other American Express credit cards here.
While the American Express Platinum Reserve Card attracts an annual fee, it comes with a range of benefits to match. For starters, you stand to receive 30,000 membership rewards bonus points when you join, as long you join by a given date.
You get automatic membership into a rewards program that enables you to earn up to rewards points for every dollar you spend. Redeeming accumulated rewards points presents you with a host of alternatives.
This card also comes with a variety of travel benefits, making it ideal for people who travel frequently. Apart from offering world class service that customers have come to expect of American Express, this card also offers cardholders a number of complementary insurance covers.
American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card Review
This American Express card allows you to transfer balances which attract a very competitive interest rate for up to 6 months. You can get up to 4 additional cards which don’t attract any annual account-keeping fees, enabling you to earn more rewards points. This card comes with PIN, chip, and contactless technologies, offering convenience along with security. You can use this card at any merchant who accepts American Express, anywhere in the world, and you can also use this card to make online purchases. What requires special mention, though, is its extensive rewards program.
Benefits of the American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
- Balance transfer offer. You can take advantage of a balance transfer option if you apply before a given date, and a one-time establishment fee of 1% applies. There is a maximum limit of how much you can transfer, and this is the lesser between 50% of your approved credit limit and $3,000. The special balance transfer rate stays in place for 6 months, after which any left over balance attracts a standard interest rate.
- Complimentary insurances. When you buy air tickets using this card you get free domestic and international travel and accident insurance that provides cover to you and to dependent family members. Travel inconvenience cover is in place to offer cover in case of delayed luggage, missed connections, and flight delays. Refund protection ensures you get a credit in case a merchant refuses a qualifying refund within 90 days of purchase. Purchase protection offers cover in case you lose, break, or damage an item within 90 days of purchase. Online fraud protection guarantee ensures you don’t have to pay for fraudulent transactions as long as you notify American Express immediately upon finding out about them.
Features of the American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
- Earning rewards points. When you receive your Platinum Reserve Credit Card you get complimentary Membership Rewards Ascent program enrolment.
- Restaurant perks. When you use this card to make payments, you earn 3 points on every dollar spent at select restaurants; 2 points per dollar spent on select airlines, tour and cruise operators, and accommodation; and point for every dollar spent on most other transactions. Transactions including utilities and insurances still earn 0.5 point for every dollar spent.
- Points cap. This pattern continues until you reach an annual threshold of 150,000 points, after which all qualifying transactions earn 1 point for every dollar spent.
- Redeeming rewards points. To redeem points, you can turn to nine leading airline partners, you can make in-store purchases through American Express Travelscene and Harvey World Travel, and you can also redeem points online via Webjet.
- Travel privileges. With your Priority Pass, you get access to more than 600 VIP lounges, and your first two visits within every 12 month period are free. Each year you get to avail of a complimentary night’s stay at select luxury hotels, and you can swap this with a domestic or international return airfare to select destinations. Travel Advantage, an online service, offers cardholders quick and easy solutions when it comes to making travel bookings.
- Online access. You can access your account details from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet enabled desktop, laptop, or smartphone. Once online, you can keep track of transactions, you can schedule payments, you can set up reminders so you don’t miss making payments, and you can also track progress of your rewards points.
How to apply for the American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
You can apply for this credit card in different ways, and the easiest is to submit an online application.
Before that, make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are over years 18 years old
- You are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, or you hold a Subclass 457 - Business Long Stay Visa.
- Your household pre-tax gross annual income exceeds $65,000 p.a.
- You don’t have a history of poor credit
In order to do this, it might require you to submit the following:
- A copy of your driver’s license, passport, and Medicare card
- Employment related information
- Details surrounding annual earnings
- List of assets and liabilities