A complete guide to Amex Connect
From dining discounts to business benefits, discover the exclusive offers you can access through Amex Connect.
If you have an American Express card, you can enjoy a variety of exclusive travel, shopping and lifestyle offers through Amex Connect. Here, we look at how this service works, which credit cards provide access to Amex Connect, and the different types of offers available. We also look at how you can claim an offer and the other key American Express services and features so that you can decide if an Amex card will be worth it for you.
What is Amex Connect?
Amex Connect is a complimentary service that offers rewarding deals on everything from travel to dining, shopping and entertainment. Each deal is available for a limited time, with offers ranging from cash off your shopping to exclusive gifts, dining offers, ticket discounts and travel perks.
By signing up to the service, you can also unlock more personalised offers and experiences based on your spending habits and tastes. Eligible card members can opt to receive emails about new offers, benefits and tailored content delivered direct to their inbox.
Which credit cards provide access to Amex Connect?
Amex Connect is available on American Express cards issued by American Express Australia Limited or by the following licensed network partners:
Note that only companion or dual cards from Westpac are eligible for Amex Connect offers. These accounts offer both an American Express card and a Visa or Mastercard to help maximise your rewards and spending options.
If you’re interested in a dual credit card, we’ve included details of current companion card options from the Big Four banks in the table below.
Are there any American Express cards that aren’t eligible for Amex Connect?
At this time, the following cards are not eligible for this service:
- American Express Business Travel Accounts
- Government Cards
- Corporate Purchasing Cards
- Corporate Meeting Cards
- Corporate Cards
- Prepaid Cards
- David Jones American Express Cards
What types of offers can I get through Amex Connect?
The Amex Connect website lists current offers in five key categories. While individual offers are only available for a limited time, we’ve included examples for each category below:
- Shopping. Offers could include cashback for spending a specific amount with a partner retailer, complimentary gifts when you meet spending requirements, or a percentage off your shop. Examples of past offers include getting $10 back at kikki.K if you spent $20 or more and receiving complimentary Lindt pralines if you spent $50 or more in-store.
- Dining. Previous offers have included cashback on restaurant bookings and food and drink purchases. As an example, Amex cardholders who spent $50 at participating Dimmi restaurants could get $20 back between 28 November and 31 December 2016.
- Travel. Offers include cashback, discounts and complimentary upgrades with hotel partners, car hire companies and travel agencies. Recent offers include complimentary Hertz Plus Gold Rewards status, and a complimentary night plus US$25 credit at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts.
- Entertainment. As Amex already has a dedicated entertainment ticket program, these offers tend to be complimentary extras you can get at certain venues or events. For example, a complimentary blanket at Ben & Jerry’s Outdoor Cinemas, or complimentary water when you spend at least $15 at any food and beverage outlet at Qudos Bank Arena Sydney, Perth Arena or Brisbane Entertainment Centre.
- Business. Business offers through Amex Connect tend to provide fee waivers or wholesale pricing for products and services, for example getting fees waived for the first $1,000 worth of card transactions processed through Square.
How do I claim an Amex Connect offer?
You can use the following steps to take advantage of Amex Connect offers and benefits:
- Go to the Amex Connect website.
- Browse the current offers and select the offer you want to use.
- Read the terms and conditions for that offer, and follow the prompts to redeem it.
Remember that you will have to use your American Express card for any eligible purchases or to meet spending requirements for the offer. For cashback offers, it may also take time for the statement credit to show up in your account.
What other benefits can I get with an American Express card?
American Express perks vary from card to card, but some of the other features you could gain access to include:
- American Express Experiences. This complimentary service provides you with access to exclusive discounts, presale tickets and competitions for entertainment events and experiences.
- Membership Rewards. Credit cards enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards program allow you to earn points for your everyday spending, which you can then redeem for travel, cashback, merchandise and other rewards.
- Lounge access. Some premium Amex cards provide complimentary airport lounge passes or enrolment in airport lounge programs. The American Express Explorer, for example, offers two complimentary passes to the American Express Lounge at Sydney International (Kingsford Smith) Airport T1, while the American Express Platinum provides Priority Pass membership and complimentary Virgin Australia lounge access when you fly with the airline.
- Concierge service. Available on platinum cards, the American Express concierge service provides you with personal assistance for everything from dinner reservations to buying flowers or gifts for loved ones.
- Complimentary insurance. Depending on the card, you could take advantage of complimentary travel insurance, purchase protection insurance, extended warranty coverage, refund protection and more.
- Contactless and mobile payments. American Express Contactless card technology allows you to make purchases by tapping your card at the checkout. If you have an eligible Amex card, you’ll also be able to pay with your mobile phone when you set up Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
Other factors to consider
Before getting wrapped up in all the benefits an Amex card can offer, make sure you also consider the following details.
- Interest rates. Most American Express credit cards have high standard variable interest rates for purchases, which could add to your account costs if you carry a balance.
- Annual fees. While Amex cards are known for their privileges and prestige, these perks usually come at a cost. If you don’t make use of your Amex benefits, it’s likely the annual fee will leave you out of pocket. If you’d prefer to avoid this cost, there is a limited range of American express cards with no annual fee you could consider.
- Card acceptance and surcharges. While Amex cards do provide you with a lot of benefits, keep in mind that they’re not as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard options. American Express cards also usually attract significantly higher surcharges.
- Offer terms and conditions. Remember that all the offers available through Amex Connect (and other Amex services) have their own eligibility requirements you’ll need to follow to take full advantage of them. It’s important to be aware of these details before trying to claim an offer, so that you can ensure you meet all the requirements.
Amex Connect offers can provide you with extra value when you use an American Express credit card with partnered brands. But, as with any complimentary service, remember to weigh the potential value against costs so that the credit card you choose works for you.
Comparison of American Express credit cards
Picture: ShutterstockBack to top
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.