Refer a friend to American Express and earn up to 200,000 bonus Membership Rewards points.
The American Express “Refer a Friend” program is designed to let you share membership perks with people you care about. It gives you a chance to earn between 10,000 and 20,000 bonus points for every friend or family member you refer through the program when they apply and are approved for an eligible American Express credit card.
Meanwhile, the people you refer can enjoy new membership perks like a waived annual fee, bonus Membership Rewards points or a statement credit. Use this guide to learn how to refer a friend, which cards are eligible and how you can benefit from the referral perks.
What cards can I refer and what are the potential benefits?
The rewards you and your friend can earn depend on the card you hold and specific offers available at the time of the referral. Some examples of these cards and the rewards available are as follows:
American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card
If you hold an American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, you will earn Membership Rewards Bonus Points when your friend is approved. Your friend will earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points when they apply for the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card, are approved, and spend $550 in the first 2 months of card membership.
Qantas American Express Premium Card
If you hold a Qantas American Express Premium Card, you will earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points when your friend is approved. Your friend will receive 47,500 Qantas Points when they spend $500 in the first 3 months of card membership and an additional 2,500 Qantas Points when they first use their Amex card to spend on selected Qantas products and services in Australia.
American Express Velocity Platinum Card
If you hold an American Express Velocity Platinum Card, you will earn 30,000 Velocity Points when your friend is approved. Your friend will receive 70,000 Velocity Points upon spending $3,000 in their first 3 months of card membership.
American Express Platinum Card
If you hold an American Express Platinum Card, an American Express Centurion Card or an American Express Gold Card, you will earn 20,000 Membership Rewards points when your friend is approved. If you hold an American Express Card or an American Express Rewards Advantage Card, you will earn 10,000 Membership Rewards points when your friend is approved. Your friend will receive 90,000 Membership Rewards points upon spending $3,000 in their first 3 months of card membership.
David Jones American Express Credit Card
If you hold a David Jones American Express Credit Card, you will earn 15,000 Membership Rewards points when your friend is approved. Your friend's reward will be 30,000 points when they use the card to spend outside of David Jones three times within the first month of becoming a Card Member.
^Information valid as of September 2016
How can I refer a friend?
To earn rewards for referring friends and family to American Express, you need to follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1: Go to the American Express referral page and login with your user ID and password or credit card information.
Step 2: You will see the bonus offers you can earn when referring a friend. Select the card you wish to refer. The website will then generate your own personal referral link.
Step 3: Share this referral link with your friends and family via email, text message, LinkedIn or Facebook. It is very important to make sure they apply using your generated personal link because you will not receive your referral bonus if they sign up directly with American Express or use a different link.
Terms and conditions to note
- No spam. American Express has strong anti-spam sentiments and states that you can only send referral messages to close friends and family who have already consented to receiving this information. You should not market this offer via paid advertising or public forums.
- Referral cap. You may send referral messages to no more than 20 friends, and can earn up to a maximum 200,000 Membership Rewards points through this program each year.
- Contingent on approval. The bonus rewards points are subject to your friend’s application being approved, and to any other specific conditions for the specific referral offer you use. Note that American Express will not inform you about the status of your friend’s application (whether it has been approved or declined) for reasons of privacy and confidentiality.
- New membership. This program is only open to friends or family that would be considered as new American Express members. This means the people you refer cannot hold a current Amex card and cannot have held an American Express card in the last 18 months.
- Rewards Program. You must be enrolled in the participating credit card rewards program to receive bonus points through "Refer a Friend". For example, if the offer is for Membership Rewards, you would have to have a credit card enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards Program. Similarly, if the referral offered bonus Qantas or Velocity frequent flyer points, you would have to have an Amex card enrolled in the respective frequent flyer program.
- Crediting process. You will receive your earned points in 8 to 10 weeks if your friend’s membership application is successful.
With these tips in mind, you’re all set to begin referring friends or family members who are interested in getting an American Express card. Just remember, the bonus points you can earn are subject to your friend's application approval and offers are only available for a limited time, so make sure you check for updates and follow the steps above when you find an offer that works for you and your friend.Back to top