Your guide to the American Express referral program
Refer a friend to American Express and earn up to 200,000 bonus Membership Rewards or frequent flyer points.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The American Express “Refer a Friend” program is designed to let you share membership perks with people you care about. It gives you a chance to earn between 10,000 and 20,000 bonus points for every friend or family member you refer through the program when they apply and are approved for an eligible American Express credit card.
Meanwhile, the people you refer can enjoy new membership perks like a waived annual fee, bonus Membership Rewards points or a statement credit. Use this guide to learn how to refer a friend, which cards are eligible and how you can benefit from the referral perks.
What cards can I refer and what are the potential benefits?
The rewards you and your friend can earn depend on the card you hold and specific offers available at the time of the referral. As of 26 February 2020, some examples of current offers are as follows:
Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
If you hold a Qantas American Express Ultimate Card, you will earn 40,000 Qantas Points for each friend approved using your referral link. Your friend will receive 650,000 Qantas Points upon being approved for a Qantas American Express Ultimate Card and spending $3,000 in their first 3 months of card membership. Friends can choose from any available Amex Qantas Cards but bonus points will vary.
How can I refer a friend?
The easiest way to refer a friend or get your referral link is through the Amex app. To earn rewards for referring friends and family using your computer, you need to follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1: Go to the American Express referral page and login with your user ID and password or credit card information.
Step 2: You will see the bonus offers you can earn when referring a friend. Select the card you wish to refer. The website will then generate your own personal referral link.
Step 3: Share this referral link with your friends and family via email, text message, LinkedIn or Facebook. It is very important to make sure they apply using your generated personal link because you will not receive your referral bonus if they sign up directly with American Express or use a different link.
Terms and conditions to note
- No spam. American Express has strong anti-spam sentiments and states that you can only send referral messages to close friends and family who have already consented to receiving this information. You should not market this offer via paid advertising or public forums.
- Referral cap. You may send referral messages to no more than 20 friends, and can earn up to a maximum 200,000 Membership Rewards or Qantas Points through this program each year.
- Contingent on approval. The bonus rewards points are subject to your friend’s application being approved, and to any other specific conditions for the specific referral offer you use. Note that American Express will not inform you about the status of your friend’s application (whether it has been approved or declined) for reasons of privacy and confidentiality.
- New membership. This program is only open to friends or family that would be considered as new American Express members. This means the people you refer cannot hold a current Amex card and cannot have held an American Express card in the last 18 months.
- Rewards Program. You must be enrolled in the participating credit card rewards program to receive bonus points through "Refer a Friend". For example, if the offer is for Membership Rewards, you would have to have a credit card enrolled in the American Express Membership Rewards Program. Similarly, if the referral offered bonus Qantas frequent flyer points, you would have to have an Amex card enrolled in the respective frequent flyer program.
- Crediting process. You will receive your earned points in 8 to 10 weeks if your friend’s membership application is successful.
With these tips in mind, you’re all set to begin referring friends or family members who are interested in getting an American Express card. Just remember, the bonus points you can earn are subject to your friend's application approval and offers are only available for a limited time, so make sure you check for updates and follow the steps above when you find an offer that works for you and your friend.
Don't have an Amex yet? Compare American Express Credit Cards
More guides on Finder
Citi Rewards Card – Exclusive Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this exclusive Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Diners Club Personal Card
Diners Club offers a competitive rewards program, travel and shopping perks and can be used at businesses including Coles, Woolworths and Target.
Velocity 20% bonus for card and hotel transfers: Worth it?
American Express, NAB Rewards and Accor are all on board.
Netflix frequent flyer wars: Coles and Woolworths points deals compared
Earn Qantas or Velocity points from streaming. Which deal is better?
The 5 most important changes to Qantas Frequent Flyer explained
Extra Status Credits! More reward flights! More Points Planes! Here's what it all means.
Where to buy washable, reusable face masks in Australia
Protect yourself and the environment with a reusable face mask from one of these great stores.
Qantas and Afterpay: Everything you need to know
You can earn frequent flyer points with the popular buy now pay later service – here's how.
All the current bonus frequent flyer and reward points offers October 2020
Bonus points for gift cards, shopping, insurance and more.
How to meet credit card bonus point spending requirements
With most credit card bonus point offers including a minimum spending requirement, here’s what you need to know to meet it and maximise your rewards.
Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards June 2020
Imagine what you could do with up to 200,000 bonus points on one of these credit cards.
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.