The Amex Refer a Friend program gives you a way to get more points for yourself, plus perks for friends or family that you refer to American Express. When an offer is running, you can earn bonus points for each successful referral you make.
The people you refer also get bonus points or other perks, such as a waived annual fee in the first year. So, let's take a closer look at how it works.
How many points can I get through the Amex Refer a Friend program?
You can earn up to 200,000 points per year for successful referrals and can refer up to 20 people per year. But the total you'll earn per referral is different for each offer.
To give you an idea of the potential value, below we've included some examples of offers that were active in September 2021.
Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
If you hold a Qantas American Express Ultimate Card, you will earn 40,000 Qantas Points for each friend or family member that applies and is approved using your referral link.
For applications made before 20 October 2021, people you refer will earn 110,000 bonus Qantas Points and get $200 back on their account when they apply online and spend $3,000 in their first 3 months of card membership.
Qantas American Express Discovery Card
With the Qantas American Express Discovery, you'll earn 10,000 Qantas Points for each successful referral.
People you refer can also get 10,000 bonus Qantas Points if they use your referral link to apply online by 20 October 2021 and spend $750 on their new card in the first 3 months.
How can I refer a friend to Amex?
You can refer friends through the Amex app or website. The steps below take you through how to do it online.
1. Log in
Go to the American Express referral page and log in with your user ID and password or credit card information.
2. Check for Amex referral offers
You will see the current bonus offer (or offers) you can get for referring friends.
Note: If there is more than one referral offer, choose the one that you want to use. You'll then get a referral link for it.
3. Share your referral link with friends and family
You'll get a link you can copy and share around. Or, click on "Send Email" to generate an email template that automatically includes your referral link.
Note: Make sure your friends and family apply using your referral link. Otherwise, you won't be eligible for a referral bonus and they won't be eligible for any referral offers either.
Amex Refer a Friend terms and conditions: Key details
The terms and conditions for this referral program vary but usually include the following:
- No spam. American Express has strong anti-spam sentiments and states that you should ask for permission before sending someone a referral link. You also shouldn't share this offer in public forums, on social media or anywhere else where people you don't know could use it.
- Friends and family. You can only send American Express referrals and offers to close friends and family.
- Referral cap. You can refer up to 20 people per year, and can earn up to a maximum 200,000 Membership Rewards or frequent flyer points through this program each year.
- Approved applications only. You'll only get a referral bonus if the person you refer applies and is approved for the card using your referral link. There may be other terms and conditions for specific offers too. For privacy and confidentiality, American Express will not let you know if someone you have referred is approved or declined. If they are successful, the bonus points will be added to your account in 8 to 10 weeks.
- New memberships. This program is only open to friends or family that would be considered as new American Express members. This means the people you refer cannot hold a current Amex card and cannot have held an American Express card in the last 18 months.
With these details in mind, you’re all set to begin referring friends or family members who are interested in getting an American Express card. Just remember, the bonus points you can earn are subject to your friend's application approval and offers are only available for a limited time, so make sure you check for updates and follow the steps above when you find an offer that works for you and your friend.
Don't have an Amex card yet? Compare American Express Credit Cards
You might be interested in