Green home loans
Reduce your environmental footprint and increase your savings with a green home loan.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Green home loans are designed to encourage borrowers to buy, build or improve their homes in an environmentally friendly way. They typically offer discounted interest rates for houses that are energy efficient, and lessen their environmental footprint.
What's the criteria for a "green" home?
Some lenders will reward you with lower interest rates if your house meets a certain criteria that includes:
- Solar panels
- Double glazing
- Water storage tanks
- An alternative power supply
Be sure to check with each lender what you need to be eligible for their green home loan.
Which lenders offer green home loans?
Most Australian lenders don't have specific mortgages for green properties, but there are several smaller lenders who do.
Below are some green home loans available at the time of writing.
- Bank Australia. This customer owned bank now offers a Clean Energy Home Loan in partnership with the Clean Energy Finance Corporation. Bank Australia claims to have been carbon neutral since 2011 and puts some of its profits towards a conservation reserve and other environmental and socially conscious projects.
- Regional Australia Bank Sustainable Home Loan. This is a variable rate mortgage that offers incentives for borrowers pursuing sustainable housing who meet the lender's criteria.
- Bendigo Bank Green Home Loan. If you can demonstrate that your building or renovation project is environmentally sustainable you can receive an interest rate discount.
- Hunter United Green Home Loan. You can qualify for this loan if your home has at least three sustainable features, such as solar power, double glazing or a water tank.
- Maleny Credit Union Advantage Plus Home Loan - Special Rate. This small Queensland credit union offers a 0.15% interest rate discount on its Advantage Plus Home Loan if your home satisfies three of sustainable criteria.
A green discount does not mean the cheapest rate
- Keep in mind that the discounted rates for green home loans don't necessarily make these products cheaper than other mortgages. If your priority is saving money on repayments with a cheaper mortgage then a green home loan might not be your best option.
What else do I need to know about green home loans?
- Reduce your environmental footprint. The most obvious benefit of these loans is that you will be able to contribute to a more sustainable future, reducing your environmental impact.
- Interest rate discounts. The main draw card of a green home loan is that you are rewarded with lower interest rates in return for your choice to make your house environmentally friendly. But be aware that these interest rates may not
- Lower bills. By switching to more energy efficient power options, you could potentially save more on your electricity and water bills.
- Strict criteria. Most green loans have a very strict and specific criteria your house will have to meet in order to be eligible. The criteria will differ from lender to lender, and the less environmentally friendly tools your house has, the small array of lenders you will have to choose from.
- Fees and charges. As with any loan, be aware of fees such as redraw facility charges.
Note: The Green Loan Scheme
The Green Loan Scheme was established to encourage Australian residents to reduce their environmental footprint by installing solar panels and other tools in order to reduce water and energy consumption. The scheme has now been abolished by the Australian Government, however, many banks are still encouraging a 'greener' approach through their own special offers and incentives.
Looking for a standard home loan? Compare your options
After entering your details a mortgage broker from Aussie will call you. They will discuss your situation and help you find a suitable loan.
- A comparison of home loans from multiple lenders.
- Expert guidance through the entire application process.
- Free suburb and property reports.
The Adviser’s number 1 placed mortgage broker 8 years running (2013-2020)
More guides on Finder
Finder’s RBA cash rate survey: 67% of experts predict November cut
Experts are predicting that the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) will announce a second rate cut for 2020 at the final meeting of the year, according to Finder.
Sarah Megginson joins Finder to lead home loan editorial strategy
Highly regarded journalist and industry heavyweight Sarah Megginson has joined Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, to oversee the editorial strategy for its home loans vertical.
Investment loans almost halved in cost since COVID-19
While COVID-19 has delivered a number of economic challenges, there is one area where Australians have benefits – with investment loans now cheaper than they've ever been.
Expense claim policy templates (Australia)
Find out how you can easily set up an expensive claims policy for your company.
Refinancing avalanche: Australians to save $389 million
Christmas might be coming early for thousands of borrowers with a home loan, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Principal and interest home loans
Read Finder's guide to understanding principal and interest home loans.
Go for something a little less traditional with stylish bamboo flooring.
Pepper Money No Fee Personal Loan Review
Find out more about Pepper Money's no fee personal loan and benefit from a competitive rate from 6.95% p.a., zero fees and loan terms of up to 7 years.
How much will a reverse mortgage cost you?
SPONSORED: Calculating the potential costs of a reverse mortgage can be tricky. We'll break it down step by step for you.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Home Loan OffersImportant Information*
Up to $3,000 refinance cashback. A flexible and competitive variable rate loan. Eligible borrowers refinancing $250,000 or more can get $2,000 cashback per property plus a bonus $1,000 for their first application. Other conditions apply.
Up to $4,000 refinance cashback. A competitive variable rate loan from St.George. Refinancers borrowing $250,000 or more can get $4,000 cashback (Other terms, conditions and exclusions apply).
A competitive variable rate mortgage for owner occupiers $0 application and $0 ongoing fees. This interest rate falls over time as you pay off the loan.
Take advantage of a low-fee mortgage with a special interest rate of just 2.49% p.a. and a 2.49% p.a. comparison rate.
Ask an Expert