- You can pay by the month at no extra cost – lots of other insurers we looked at don't do this.
- It's good if you don't make claims – it comes with a No Claim Bonus Discount of up to 30%.
- It offers 10% off on your first year's premiums when you get a new building and contents policy online – but there are bigger discounts available with other providers such as Budget Direct.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Australian Unity website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.Compare home insurance
Australian Unity has three levels of home insurance cover available: Buildings & Contents Insurance, Buildings Insurance and Contents Insurance. It's policies are underwritten by Allianz.
Here's some of the main events a Australian Unity home insurance policy can cover you for.
You can cancel within 14 days (cooling off period) of taking out a policy and you won't be charged (so long as you don't make a claim). This is slightly less time than other insurers – the standard is 21 days. Like all insurers, you'll also need to pay at least one excess when you make a claim.
If an insured event like a storm, fire or theft occurs, Australian Unity can help reimburse you for:
- Legal liability
- Alternative accommodation for you and your pets
- Rebuilding and professional fees
- Cover when you're moving house
- Debris removal
Australian Unity doesn't come with a lot of optional add-on options. It's worth noting that unlike some insurers, you'll need to pay extra if you want flood cover and accidental damage. Its optional covers include:
- Flood cover
- Accidental damage
- Motor burnout
- Portable contents
Australian Unity's general exclusions are similar to other insurers. Here are some of the main events you won't be covered for:
- Action of the sea
- Coal seam gas
- Deliberate, intentional, malicious or criminal acts
- Wear and tear
- Inherent defects
- Illegal contents
- Soil movement
- Lawful seizure
Make sure you read Australian Unity's PDS for a full list of exclusions.
We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July to December 2020. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.
When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers so can potentially get more complaints.
Australian Unity recently changed underwriters from QBE to Allianz so the table below provides an overview of them. Here's how Allianz did:
- Allianz has quite a good complaints record compared even to some smaller brands, suggesting it could be idea if you want an insurer that provides good customer service.
- Not many complaints were resolved (26.43%) which is lower than many other insurers including Westpac and Hollard.
Australian Unity home insurance is good if you want to pay monthly at no extra cost and you're unlikely to make a claim but you can get bigger discounts elsewhere.
If you're not yet ready to take out a policy, you can compare other home insurance providers side-by-side here..
If you've held or currently hold an Australian Unity home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if Australian Unity is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.