- Defence Service Homes insurance is good for current and former members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) as it's only open to them. Reservists, peacekeepers and widows and widowers of ADF members are also eligible.
- It's competitively priced and comes with flexible payment options – you can pay monthly or yearly at no extra cost. Not all insurers do this.
- It understands you lead a different lifestyle to most, from postings and redeployments, though it doesn't specify exactly how its home insurance policies are adapted to ADF members.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Defence Service Homes Insurance website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.Compare home insurance fast
Defence Service Homes offers the following insurance policies for your home: buildings, contents, and combined building and contents.
Here are some of the main insured events you'll be covered for with a Defence Service Homes policy.
A Defence Service Homes insurance policy can help pay for the following:
- Repairing or rebuilding your home
- Temporary accommodation
- Legal costs for discharge of mortgage
- Matching decor
- Trees, shrubs, plants
Defence Service Homes exclusions are similar to other providers. It will not pay for:
- Loss or damage to the home that is caused by burning or heat, if that happens without flames
- Loss or damage caused by wind, rain, snow or hail entering the home unless it enters because of structural damage to the home that is directly caused by the storm, snow or hail
- Loss or damage caused by failing to properly maintain the home
- Loss or damage caused to the external paint work or other external coatings on the home
- Loss or damage to the home caused by any act that is intended to cause loss or damage
- Theft or attempted theft was by someone who lives in the home or is there with your consent
- Loss or damage that is caused by liquid splashing or gradually escaping because of something other than a sudden burst, leak, discharge or overflow
- Cover for defective items or a defective part of the item, that is responsible for causing loss or damage
Make sure to read Defence Service Homes' PDS for the full list of exclusions.
You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.
When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.
Here's an overview of how Defence Service (QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited) did:
- QBE resolved 34.76% of complaints directly with customers, a fair proportion compared to other insurers its size.
- It received 538 complaints over the financial year which is considerably more than similar insurers like Allianz.
Defence Service Homes insurance is good if you're a current or former member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and you want a competitively priced policy. However, it doesn't specify exactly how its home insurance policies are adapted to ADF members.
If you'd like to see how other home insurers compare to one another, you can compare them side by side here.
If you've held or currently hold a Defence Service Homes insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if Defence Service Homes is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.