We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
RACQ Home Insurance is available for people who live in, or own property in Queensland and Northern New South Wales.
There are three policies available; home insurance which covers the building, contents insurance which covers your belongings, and a combined home and contents insurance policy - for those who want complete peace of mind. On top of that, you can become an RACQ member which gives you access to a bunch of discounts and benefits.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACQ website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
Review RACQ Home Insurance cover options
RACQ offer a range of home insurance benefits:
|Features||Home & Contents||Home||Contents|
|24hr Queensland call centres|
|New for old items|
|Pay by the month|
|Statewide assessment services|
|$20 million legal liability cover|
|Additional living expenses|
|Assistance with clean up costs|
|Cost towards security firm response|
|Cover for broken glass|
|Cover for damage caused by emergency services|
|Cover for loss or damage in transit|
|Cover for loss or damage to contents in safety deposit boxes|
|Cover for loss or damage to contents in storage|
|Cover for temporary removal of contents|
|Cover for uninsured visitor contents|
|Credit card misuse|
|Demolition and redesign costs|
|Loss of rent|
|Advances cover (includes motor burnout option)|
|Items away from home|
|Landlord fixtures and fittings|
|Motor burnout only|
|Samll business contents|
|Combined insurance discount|
|Over 55 discount|
|Roadside Assistance loyalty discount|
|Senior card holder discount|
What RACQ exclusions do I need to be wary of?
Before taking out an RACQ Home Insurance policy you should be aware that there are certain events and occurrences that are not covered under your policy. Your claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by actions of the sea
- It is for loss or damage caused by birds
- It results from you, or someone who lives with you, breaking the law
- It arises as a result of any business you operate out of your home
- It is caused by a government or local authority lawfully confiscating, repossessing or destroying anything
- It is for consequential loss
- It is for a computer virus, computer hacking or lost electronic data
- It results from a deliberate or intentional act by you, a tenant or someone who enters the property with your consent
- It is for erosion, landslide or subsidence, except if the landslide or subsidence occurs within 72 hours of an earthquake
- It results from fraud or attempted fraud
- You fail to maintain your home or contents in good condition
- It is caused by pests or parasites
- It is caused by the roots of trees or plants
- It is a result of rust, mould, corrosion or gradual deterioration
- It is for seepage, pollution or contamination
- It relates to an act of war or terrorism
- It is caused by wear and tear through normal use.
How much does RACQ Home Insurance cost?
There are many factors that can influence how much you will have to pay for your RACQ Home Insurance, including:
- How much cover do you need? The greater the sum insured, the more you’ll have to pay for cover.
- Where do you live? Your premium will rise if you live in an area that is more likely to be affected by storms or more likely to lead to theft claims.
- What are the specifics of your home? The age and construction of your home. The materials used to build your home and the date it was built can both affect the condition your home is in and how likely it is to suffer damage.
- Do you want to pay an excess? You can choose to pay a higher excess in return for lower premiums.
- Do you have any optional benefits? You’ll need to pay extra for any optional benefits you elect to add to your policy.
- Any other factors? Yes, other factors can include your claims history and other events (for example a cyclone) that affect the whole insurance industry.
What excesses apply to RACQ policies?
If you ever make a claim on your RACQ policy, you’ll need to make a contribution towards the cost of settling that claim by paying an excess. A standard excess applies when you take out your policy, though you can choose the level of excess you would like to pay and adjust your premium amount as a result. Other excesses include an earthquake excess and a pet excess for any relevant claims.
Got any tips for paying less for RACQ Insurance?
- Alarm discount. If you have an alarm that is monitored 24/7 by a monitoring facility, you can enjoy a 10% discount on your contents premium.
- Apartment discount. Living in an apartment, flat, townhouse, unit or villa entitles you to a 20% discount on your contents premium.
- Combined discount. Owner occupiers who take out a Combined Home and Contents Insurance policy can enjoy a discount of up to 13%.
- Roadside Assistance loyalty discounts RACQ members enjoy premium savings of up to 17.5%.
- Multi policy discount. Enjoy up to a 5% discount on each policy when you have three or more qualifying policies with RACQ.
- No claim discount. You can receive a discount of up to 4% on your home and contents insurance.
- Over 55 discount. Nominated insured people who are aged 55 or older can receive up to 10% savings on their home premiums and up to 15% on their contents and renters premium.
- Senior card holder discount. This entitles senior card holders to up to 15% off their home premiums and up to 25% off their contents and renters premiums.
How do I go about making a claim with RACQ Home Insurance?
If anything happens that could lead to a claim, you’ll need to call RACQ visit an RACQ branch as soon as possible. RACQ Insurance will then tell you what they need from you to process your claim. In most cases you will not have to fill out a claim form, but you may have to provide documentation or evidence to support your claim.
In addition, remember to take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss or damage to your home or contents, and make sure to report any theft or vandalism immediately to the police.
You can contact them on 13 72 02 for more information about making a claim.
More guides on Finder
WIN! $2000 worth of eBay vouchers for EOFY 2021
Attention online shoppers: We're giving away a $2000 eBay gift card just in time for this year''s EOFY sales. Enter now!
Marriage and divorce statistics 2021
Finder found more than 3 million Aussies have lived with an ex-partner to save money.
eBay has smashed home essentials by 89%
eBay has smashed home essentials by up to 89% off, including Finish Powerball dishwashing capsules - here are the best deals.
Business car loans
If you're after a business car, compare your vehicle finance and car loan options and get your business on the road.
2021 MG ZS Review
It seems the ZST is really a jack of all trades kind of car. It looks good, is specced well, drives nicely and is acceptably practical.
Withings Body Cardio Scale review: Smart scale at a serious price
If you’re keen to be mathematically encouraged – or possibly pestered or frightened – into losing weight and improving your overall health, the Withings Body Cardio scale is a great but seriously premium-priced scale.
Epson ET-4750 review: Great value for heavy duty print users
If you’re unhappy with excessive ink cartridge costs and you get through a lot of document printing, the Epson ET-4750 offers great value.
Family Home Guarantee
Your guide to the federal government's Family Home Guarantee, which lets single parents buy a home with a 2% deposit.
The expenses preventing Aussie households from saving
Food, utility bills and eating out are the top expenses preventing Australians from building wealth. Find out how to boost your income and cut your expenses.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2: Powerful home monitoring
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 is the company’s best home doorbell by a long shot, but it’s not suitable for renters, and it’s not inexpensive either.
Ask an Expert