RACQ Home Insurance
Find out if Queensland's automotive society can protect your home as well as your car.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
RACQ Insurance offers Home Insurance, Contents Insurance and Combined Home and Contents Insurance to customers in Queensland and northern New South Wales.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACQ website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
RACQ Home Insurance cover options
RACQ offer a range of home insurance benefits:
|Features||Home & Contents||Home||Contents||Contents insurance for renters|
|24hr Queensland call centres|
|New for old items|
|Pay by the month|
|Statewide assessment services|
|$20 million legal liability cover|
|Additional living expenses|
|Assistance with clean up costs|
|Cost towards security firm response|
|Cover for broken glass|
|Cover for damage caused by emergency services|
|Cover for loss or damage in transit|
|Cover for loss or damage to contents in safety deposit boxes|
|Cover for loss or damage to contents in storage|
|Cover for temporary removal of contents|
|Cover for uninsured visitor contents|
|Credit card misuse|
|Demolition and redesign costs|
|Loss of rent|
|Advances cover (includes motor burnout option)|
|Items away from home|
|Landlord fixtures and fittings|
|Motor burnout only|
|Samll business contents|
|Combined insurance discount|
|Over 55 discount|
|Roadside Assistance loyalty discount|
|Senior card holder discount|
What RACQ exclusions do I need to be wary of?
Before taking out an RACQ Home Insurance policy you should be aware that there are certain events and occurrences that are not covered under your policy. Your claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by actions of the sea
- It is for loss or damage caused by birds
- It results from you, or someone who lives with you, breaking the law
- It arises as a result of any business you operate out of your home
- It is caused by a government or local authority lawfully confiscating, repossessing or destroying anything
- It is for consequential loss
- It is for a computer virus, computer hacking or lost electronic data
- It results from a deliberate or intentional act by you, a tenant or someone who enters the property with your consent
- It is for erosion, landslide or subsidence, except if the landslide or subsidence occurs within 72 hours of an earthquake
- It results from fraud or attempted fraud
- You fail to maintain your home or contents in good condition
- It is caused by pests or parasites
- It is caused by the roots of trees or plants
- It is a result of rust, mould, corrosion or gradual deterioration
- It is for seepage, pollution or contamination
- It relates to an act of war or terrorism
- It is caused by wear and tear through normal use.
Let's get down to brass tax, how much?
There are many factors that can influence how much you will have to pay for your RACQ Home Insurance, including:
- How much cover do you need? The greater the sum insured, the more you’ll have to pay for cover.
- Where do you live? Your premium will rise if you live in an area that is more likely to be affected by storms or more likely to lead to theft claims.
- What are the specifics of your home? The age and construction of your home. The materials used to build your home and the date it was built can both affect the condition your home is in and how likely it is to suffer damage.
- Do you want to pay an excess? You can choose to pay a higher excess in return for lower premiums.
- Do you have any optional benefits? You’ll need to pay extra for any optional benefits you elect to add to your policy.
- Any other factors? Yes, other factors can include your claims history and other events (for example a cyclone) that affect the whole insurance industry.
What excesses apply to RACQ policies?
If you ever make a claim on your RACQ policy, you’ll need to make a contribution towards the cost of settling that claim by paying an excess. A standard excess applies when you take out your policy, though you can choose the level of excess you would like to pay and adjust your premium amount as a result. Other excesses include an earthquake excess and a pet excess for any relevant claims.
Got any tips for paying less for RACQ Insurance?
- Alarm discount. If you have an alarm that is monitored 24/7 by a monitoring facility, you can enjoy a 10% discount on your contents premium.
- Apartment discount. Living in an apartment, flat, townhouse, unit or villa entitles you to a 20% discount on your contents premium.
- Combined discount. Owner occupiers who take out a Combined Home and Contents Insurance policy can enjoy a discount of up to 13%.
- Roadside Assistance loyalty discounts RACQ members enjoy premium savings of up to 17.5%.
- Multi policy discount. Enjoy up to a 5% discount on each policy when you have three or more qualifying policies with RACQ.
- No claim discount. You can receive a discount of up to 4% on your home and contents insurance.
- Over 55 discount. Nominated insured people who are aged 55 or older can receive up to 10% savings on their home premiums and up to 15% on their contents and renters premium.
- Senior card holder discount. This entitles senior card holders to up to 15% off their home premiums and up to 25% off their contents and renters premiums.
How do I go about making a claim?
If anything happens that could lead to a claim, you’ll need to call RACQ visit an RACQ branch as soon as possible. RACQ Insurance will then tell you what they need from you to process your claim. In most cases you will not have to fill out a claim form, but you may have to provide documentation or evidence to support your claim.
In addition, remember to take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss or damage to your home or contents, and make sure to report any theft or vandalism immediately to the police.
You can contact them on 13 72 02 for more information about making a claim.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Fast and furious: 73% of Aussies have fallen victim to a road rage incident
Engines aren’t the only thing overheating on the roads this summer – our tempers are too, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Steam mop Finder: The ins and outs of buying a steam mop for you home
Steam mops are an effective way to clean your floors and other parts of your home. Find out how to compare models and choose the right one for you.
Ask an Expert