RACQ Home Insurance

Find out if Queensland's automotive society can protect your home as well as your car.

RACQ Insurance offers Home Insurance, Contents Insurance and Combined Home and Contents Insurance to customers in Queensland and northern New South Wales.

finder.com.au does not currently have access to this home insurance brand. You may wish to compare options available on the home insurance homepage.

RACQ Home Insurance cover options

RACQ offer a range of home insurance benefits:

Benefits Home & ContentsHomeContents


24hr Queensland call centresYesYesYes
New for old itemsYesYesYes
Pay by the monthYesYesYes
Statewide assessment servicesYesYesYes
Voluntary excessYesYesYes


$20 million legal liability coverYesYesYes
Additional living expensesYesYes
Assistance with clean up costsYesYesYes
Cost towards security firm responseYesYes
Cover for broken glassYesYesYes
Cover for damage caused by emergency servicesYesYes
Cover for loss or damage in transitYesYes
Cover for loss or damage to contents in safety deposit boxesYesYes
Cover for loss or damage to contents in storageYesYes
Cover for temporary removal of contentsYesYes
Cover for uninsured visitor contentsYesYes
Credit card misuseYesYes
Demolition and redesign costsYesYes
Funeral expensesYesYesYes
Insured eventsYesYesYes
Investigating leaksYesYes
Loss of rentYesYes
Replace documentsYesYes
Temporary accommodationYesYes
Visitor’s contentsYesYes


Advances cover (includes motor burnout option)YesYesYes
Items away from homeYesYes
Landlord fixtures and fittingsYesYes
Mobile phonesYesYes
Motor burnout onlyYesYesYes
Pet coverYesYes
Samll business contentsYesYes


Alarm discountYesYes
Apartment discountYesYes
Combined insurance discountYes
Multi-policy discountYesYesYes
Over 55 discountYesYesYes
Roadside Assistance loyalty discountYesYesYes
Senior card holder discountYesYesYes
Back to top

What RACQ exclusions do I need to be wary of?

Before taking out an RACQ Home Insurance policy you should be aware that there are certain events and occurrences that are not covered under your policy. Your claim will not be paid if:

  • It is caused by actions of the sea
  • It is for loss or damage caused by birds
  • It results from you, or someone who lives with you, breaking the law
  • It arises as a result of any business you operate out of your home
  • It is caused by a government or local authority lawfully confiscating, repossessing or destroying anything
  • It is for consequential loss
  • It is for a computer virus, computer hacking or lost electronic data
  • It results from a deliberate or intentional act by you, a tenant or someone who enters the property with your consent
  • It is for erosion, landslide or subsidence, except if the landslide or subsidence occurs within 72 hours of an earthquake
  • It results from fraud or attempted fraud
  • You fail to maintain your home or contents in good condition
  • It is caused by pests or parasites
  • It is caused by the roots of trees or plants
  • It is a result of rust, mould, corrosion or gradual deterioration
  • It is for seepage, pollution or contamination
  • It relates to an act of war or terrorism
  • It is caused by wear and tear through normal use.
Back to top

Let's get down to brass tax, how much?

There are many factors that can influence how much you will have to pay for your RACQ Home Insurance, including:

  • How much cover do you need? The greater the sum insured, the more you’ll have to pay for cover.
  • Where do you live? Your premium will rise if you live in an area that is more likely to be affected by storms or more likely to lead to theft claims.
  • What are the specifics of your home? The age and construction of your home. The materials used to build your home and the date it was built can both affect the condition your home is in and how likely it is to suffer damage.
  • Do you want to pay an excess? You can choose to pay a higher excess in return for lower premiums.
  • Do you have any optional benefits? You’ll need to pay extra for any optional benefits you elect to add to your policy.
  • Any other factors? Yes, other factors can include your claims history and other events (for example a cyclone) that affect the whole insurance industry.
Back to top

What excesses apply to RACQ policies?

If you ever make a claim on your RACQ policy, you’ll need to make a contribution towards the cost of settling that claim by paying an excess. A standard excess applies when you take out your policy, though you can choose the level of excess you would like to pay and adjust your premium amount as a result. Other excesses include an earthquake excess and a pet excess for any relevant claims.

Back to top

Got any tips for paying less for RACQ Insurance?

  • Alarm discount. If you have an alarm that is monitored 24/7 by a monitoring facility, you can enjoy a 10% discount on your contents premium.
  • Apartment discount. Living in an apartment, flat, townhouse, unit or villa entitles you to a 20% discount on your contents premium.
  • Combined discount. Owner occupiers who take out a Combined Home and Contents Insurance policy can enjoy a discount of up to 20%.
  • Membership loyalty discount. RACQ members enjoy premium savings of up to 17.5%.
  • Multi policy discount. Enjoy up to a 5% discount on each policy when you have three or more qualifying policies with RACQ.
  • No claim discount. You can receive a discount of up to 4% on your home and contents insurance.
  • Over 55 discount. Nominated insured people who are aged 55 or older can receive up to 10% savings on their home premiums and up to 15% on their contents premium.
  • Senior card holder discount. This entitles senior card holders to up to 15% off their home premiums and up to 25% off their contents premiums.
Back to top

How do I go about making a claim?

If anything happens that could lead to a claim, you’ll need to call RACQ visit an RACQ branch as soon as possible. RACQ Insurance will then tell you what they need from you to process your claim. In most cases you will not have to fill out a claim form, but you may have to provide documentation or evidence to support your claim.

In addition, remember to take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss or damage to your home or contents, and make sure to report any theft or vandalism immediately to the police.

Back to top
Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, read the PDS or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

9 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    April 17, 2017

    will house insurance cover my tv antenna

    • Staff
      ZubairApril 18, 2017Staff

      Hi Roome,

      Thank you for your question.

      You have contacted finder.com.au, a comparison and information service and not actually RACQ Home Insurance.

      RACQ Home Insurance does not state anything related to tv antenna in their product disclosure statement, so you will need to contact them directly about this matter.


  2. Default Gravatar
    BewareMarch 7, 2017

    I have always felt that RACQ was a trustworthy, solid brand. I had home and contents + car + pet with them last year. When I received the invoice for renewal of home and contents recently, their price increase year on year was 21% for exactly the same insurance. I called and they asked a few questions re history etc and they re-quoted so that the increase was brought down to 18%. I had a couple of conversations with them, asked to speak to supervisors etc, and was told that they had done everything they could to bring the price down but 18% increase was the best they could do. They did say that the price had gone up for many reasons, One was that the online signing up discount from last year no longer applies. Another was that they had revalued the property and the premiums reflected an approx 7% increase in their valuation of the property, therefore attracting higher premiums for the policy. After much talk about why the premiums had increased so much and how they could justify such an increase, they finally said the major amount of the increase was just that they had increased their rates. Discussions about how outraged all Australians are at a 5-6% increase in their health insurance every year, and comparing that to RACQs 18% hike went nowhere in the end. No point event talking to them. So BEWARE – make sure you check the $$ from year to year, and vote with your feet, like I did.

  3. Default Gravatar
    VirginiaFebruary 13, 2017

    We have had power out since 5pm due to a bad storm, it is now 7.40 , how long have I got til my food is no longer any good in fridge/ freezer, and can I claim perishables

    Kind regards

    • Staff
      ZubairFebruary 14, 2017Staff

      Hi Virginia,

      Thanks for getting in touch. If you have home and contents insurance with RACQ you may have cover for spoiled frozen and refrigerated goods if the damage is caused by an insured event such as the public electricity supply failing at your home.

      You will need to contact RACQ directly about this matter to find out if and when you will be covered as cover levels can vary from policy to policy. You should also review your policy document if you can find it.

      All the best,

  4. Default Gravatar
    PamOctober 15, 2016

    I have a house that is worth about 300,000. I am presently paying over $2,000 a year in insurance. Can RACQ do me a better deal. My postcode is 4881.

    • Staff
      RichardOctober 17, 2016Staff

      Hi Pam,

      Thanks for getting in touch. finder.com.au is a comparison service and does not currently have access to this RACQ home insurance. To compare the brands in our panel, please head over to our home insurance home page.

      All the best,

  5. Default Gravatar
    TimJune 24, 2015

    What is covered if my house is tenanted, fully furnished and I have home and contents insurance

    • Staff
      RichardJune 24, 2015Staff

      Hi Tim,

      Thanks for your question. It will depend on your policy. finder.com.au is a comparison service and does not have an affiliation with RACQ. If you would like to find out about the specifics of your policy, your best bet would be to contact RACQ directly.

      I hope this was helpful,

Ask a question