Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

RAC home insurance review

RAC home insurance comes with lots of benefits and savings, but it’s only open to WA residents.

4.4 ★★★★★ (58 reviews) Write a review

Our Verdict

  • When you take out an RAC home insurance policy, you automatically become an RAC member and get access to extra benefits, from retail discounts to money off insurance.
  • It comes with lots of opportunities to save, from $70 online in your first year, 15% off when you combine your home and contents insurance, and up to 25% off your contents insurance when you install an RAC monitored alarm.
  • It's not for everyone – only WA residents can sign up.
Sorry! We currently don't have this brand on our panel. But don't fret, you can head to the RAC website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with Finder.
Compare home insurance fast

Congratulations, RAC!

RAC received the highly commended award for 'Home Insurance - WA' in the 2023 Customer Satisfaction Awards.

Full list of 2023 winners

What does RAC home insurance cover?

You can get 3 different policy types with RAC: building insurance, contents insurance, and a combined home and contents insurance policy. To add to that, RAC also offers landlord's insurance, fire and theft contents cover, and a standalone personal valuables policy.

Here are some main insured events that an RAC home insurance policy covers.

RAC home insurance is underwritten by RAC Insurance Pty Limited. It offers customers a choice of excess amounts and a variety of ways to save when purchasing more than one policy or becoming a member.

Policies come with a cooling-off period of 28 days, which is more generous than the industry standard of 21 days. This means if you want to cancel within the first 4 weeks of taking out a policy, your premium will be refunded provided you haven't made a claim.

Here's the rundown of an RAC home insurance policy

Check icon

Standard features

These are some of the standard features you can claim with RAC if an insured event causes damage or loss.
  • Re-coding or re-keying door and window locks
  • Demolition costs, removal of debris and professional advice on rebuilding
  • Spoilt food
  • Accidental glass breakage
  • Burnout of electric motors
  • Mortgage discharge assistance
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Storm damage to trees and shrubs

plus icon

Optional add-ons

RAC home insurance offers a few optional extras so you can tailor your policy based on your needs. These do have an additional cost so make sure to review the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) to learn what's covered.
  • Specified contents
  • Personal valuables
  • Accidental damage

cross icon


All home insurance policies will have general exclusions. Here are a few scenarios where you won't be covered by RAC.

  • Action of the sea, storm surge, high tide or tsunami
  • Any pre-existing damage
  • Mildew, mould, rust, corrosion or rotting
  • Intentional acts by your family or an invited guest
  • Cleaning up asbestos or removing asbestos
  • Loss, damage or liability which arises outside of Australia
  • Terrorism
  • Birds, vermin or insects

Make sure you review RAC's Product Disclosure Statement for a detailed breakdown of exclusions. You can also head to general exclusions for more information.

Here's some information on RAC home insurance complaints

We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.

When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.

Here's an overview of how RAC (RAC Insurance Pty Limited) did:

  • RAC Insurance Pty Limited is considered a large firm that, compared to other firms of its size, had a relatively low number of complaints.
    • You can also see that RAC Insurance Pty Limited had a higher percentage of complaints that had to be escalated through to AFCA, which indicates that the complaints could not be resolved internally.

    This is the bottom line about RAC

    RAC home insurance comes with a slew of benefits along with its well-rounded policies. However, be sure to check out the exclusions to make sure you're covered for everything you need.

    If you're not a WA resident, you'll have to look elsewhere. You can review other home insurance brands side-by-side to help you find the right one for you.

    Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts

    freeYou pay nothing. Finder is free to use. And you pay the same as going direct. No markups, no hidden fees.
    expert adviceYou save time. We spend 100s of hours researching home insurance so you can sort the gold from the junk faster.
    independentYou can trust us. We say it like it is. We aren't owned by an insurer and our opinions are our own.

    Frequently asked questions

    Leave an RAC home insurance review

    If you've held, or currently hold, an RAC home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if RAC is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.


Written by

Cristal Dyer

Cristal Dyer is a travel writer at Finder. She has been writing about travel for over five years and has visited over 40 countries around the world. Cristal currently travels full-time, writing about her favourite cities and food finds, and she is always on the lookout for amazing flight deals to share. See full profile

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    CherieJuly 31, 2023

    Looking for the best home and contents insurance for a standard home located in Western Australia. Currently comparing RAC, Australia Post and Quantas. Do you recommend any other insurers? Thanks

      GaryJuly 31, 2023Finder

      Hey Cherie,

      Take a look at our best home insurance page: – that should help you. To determine the picks, we analysed all the home insurers you mentioned, except for RAC. Though we didn’t include them in our research, I can tell you that RAC has a really good reputation in WA, so shouldn’t be ruled out. It’s worth getting a quote from them and a handful of other insurers.

      Hope that helps,

Go to site