RAC provides cover for your building and contents against fires, floods, storms, theft, malicious damage and several other defined events. Benefits include new for old replacement of lost, stolen or damaged items as well as cover for temporary accommodation costs, accidental glass breakage and electric motor burnout. You will also get cover for the demolition and removal of debris as well as $20 million of legal liability cover in the event of damage to other people or their property whilst on your property.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RAC website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
RAC Home and Contents Insurance
- Cover for loss or damage caused by storms, floods, fires, earthquakes, explosions, impacts, theft or attempted theft, malicious damage, lightning, escape of liquid, animal damage, riot, civil commotion and industrial unrest
- New for old replacement
- Temporary accommodation costs
- Accidental glass breakage
- Electric motor burnout
- Removal of debris and demolition costs
- Lost or stolen keys
- $20 million legal liability cover
- Buy online and save $70
- Combine building and contents cover and save 15%
- Optional personal valuables insurance
- Discounts for existing RAC members
- Increase your excess to reduce your monthly premium
RAC will not pay your home insurance claim in the following situations:
- You fail to provide reasonable protection for your building or contents.
- You leave your building unoccupied for 60 consecutive days or more.
- You carry out structural alterations or renovations that cost more than $50,000 without telling the insurer.
- You illegally store flammable liquids or explosives at your site.
- It is for storm damage, malicious damage, theft or any attempted theft which occurs during renovations.
- It is due to the actions of the sea, including a storm surge, high tide or tsunami.
- It is caused by erosion, subsidence or landslide.
- It is caused by wear and tear, gradual deterioration or lack of maintenance.
- It is the result of a structural, design, material or product defect.
- It is for any pre-existing damage to your property.
- It is caused by the lawful destruction or confiscation of your property.
- It is caused by mildew, rust or rot.
- It is caused by vermin or insects.
- It is for the cost of cleaning up asbestos or removing asbestos.
- It is for any loss, damage or liability which arises outside of Australia.
- You fail to keep your building or contents in good condition, structurally sound and watertight.
- Your building is used for an unlawful purpose.
- Your building is used for a business, trade or profession that the insurer has not agreed to.
RAC home insurance excess
When you make a claim on your policy, you may need to pay an excess. There are several types of excesses that may apply:
- Basic excess. You need to pay the basic excess when you make a claim on your policy. However, you can pay an additional premium if you would like to remove the building and/or contents excess from your policy. The following basic excesses apply:
- Building claim: $200
- Contents claim: $200
- Personal valuables claim: $100
- Accidental damage to contents claim: $350
- Earthquake excess. You’ll need to pay an additional $500 excess for any earthquake claim.
- Flood excess. A $200 excess is payable on flood claims.
- Special excess. The insurer may impose an additional excess on your policy after assessing risk factors such as your building, your contents or your claims history.
Who can apply?
RAC home insurance is available to Australian residential properties only. There are no other special eligibility requirements that you need to meet, so compare RAC’s policies with cover from other insurers.
Making a claim with RAC
There are several ways you can make a claim on your RAC home and contents insurance policy:
- By filling out an online form. You can claim online 24/7 by filling out a simple form. You’ll need to provide your policy details and the full details of the incident for which you are claiming. RAC will then get in touch to update you on the progress of your claim.
- By using myRAC. You can claim through the myRAC member portal and receive a response within two hours. This makes it quick and easy to lodge simple windscreen and motor glass claims. You can also track the progress of your claim at any time.
- Over the phone. You can contact RAC’s West Perth claims team to make a claim on weekdays from 7am to 8:30pm and on weekends from 8:30am to 5:00pm.
- At a branch. You can also lodge a claim in person at RAC’s West Perth or Morley Service Centres.