Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

RAC landlord insurance

Become an RAC member and get discounts on insurance, retail goods and more.

No reviews yet. Write a review

The RAC is a membership-based organisation in Western Australia that's been around for more than 115 years. It's best known for providing car, home and travel insurance. When you sign up to an RAC landlord insurance policy, you automatically become an RAC member, which gives you access to discounts on things like retail, utilities and other insurance products.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RAC website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with Finder.

Compare landlord insurance fast

Policies you can get through RAC landlord insurance

RAC landlord insurance provides the following policy options:

Landlord's insurance
An RAC landlord insurance policy can cover you for damage caused by your tenant or their guests. It also covers the building. You'll also get legal liability cover, which covers you for damage to other people and their property while they're on your property.

Landlord's insurance + Landlord's contents cover
If your property is furnished, you can add landlord's contents cover to your policy. This covers things such as furniture and domestic appliances, including carpets, rugs, curtains, white goods and more.

Here's a look at what RAC's policies actually cover

Insured eventLandlord's insurance
Storm and tempest
Lightning or thunderbolts
Malicious damage
Escape of liquid
Riot or civil commotion

RAC landlord insurance covers more than just the standard insured events. The table below is a summary of other ways that landlord insurance can protect your property:

More benefitsLandlord's insurance
Legal liability$20,000,000
Loss of rentUp to 12 months
Cover for landlord's fixtures and fittingsUp to $10,000
Statutory authority requirementsExtra cost
Incidental expensesReasonable cost
Mortgage dischargeReasonable cost
Accidental glass breakage
Damage to electric motorsReasonable cost

You can also add on extra cover if you think you need it. It's optional and completely up to you:

Optional add-onsLandlord's insurance
Landlord's contents coverIncludes:
  • Domestic appliances that are not built in
  • External locks – $800
  • Telephone handsets
  • Furniture and furnishings
  • Mirrors
  • Carpets
  • Floor rugs
  • Curtains

RAC's excess options

RAC's landlord insurance policies come with an excess. This is the amount that you need to contribute towards a claim whenever you make one. There are a few different types of excesses (a basic excess applies for all). These include:

  • Basic excess: You'll pay a basic excess of $100 for each building and contents related claim you make.
  • Earthquake excess: You'll need to pay $500 for any claim for destruction or damage caused by an earthquake.
  • Flood excess: You'll need to pay $200 for any claim for loss, destruction or damage caused by a flood.
  • Imposed excess: You may also have to pay an imposed excess. This depends on your individual risk details and claims experience and will be applied when you take out a policy.
  • Malicious damage/theft excess: You'll need to pay $300 for claims made as a result of malicious damage or theft by the tenant or their guest.

Making a claim with RAC

To make an RAC landlord insurance claim you'll need the following information:

  • Your policy number or address and personal details
  • Details of what happened, including photos, quotes and receipts

You can then make your claim over the phone. RAC is available to contact from 7am to 8:30pm during the week and from 8:30am to 5pm on weekends. The RAC landlord insurance contact number is 13 17 03. Once you've made your claim, you'll need to pay the excess and may have to arrange an assessment of your property if required.

You can also track your claim online through myRAC. You'll need your membership or policy number and email address to register.

RAC landlord insurance contact

You can get in touch with RAC by calling 13 17 03.

Frequently asked questions

Where can I find the RAC landlord insurance PDS?

You can access the RAC landlord insurance policy here.

Is RAC landlord insurance only available in WA?

Yes. You can only get RAC landlord insurance if you want to insure a property in Western Australia.

Who underwrites RAC landlord insurance?

RAC Insurance is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Royal Automobile Club of WA Inc. and is underwritten by RACQ Insurance Limited ABN 50 009 704 152 ('RACQ').

Who are RAC landlord insurance polices not suitable for?

RAC Landlord's Insurance is not suitable for landlord's where the home is:

  • Not kept in good repair and condition or isn't structurally sound.
  • Used for short-term rentals.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site