Get the Finder app 🥳

Track your credit score


ShareCover Home Insurance

ShareCover provide insurance for the sharing economy


Fact checked

We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .

ShareCover provide comprehensive home and car insurance as well as add-on insurance. This protects you for the extra risks associated with renting your house or car on platforms like Airbnb,, Uber and Ola. In other words, add-on insurance covers you for whenever you are hosting or ridesharing. You simply pay for the times you need it.

Who is ShareCover?

ShareCover is issued by Insurance Australia Ltd, which is part of the Insurance Australia Group (IAG). The leading general insurance company in Australia and New Zealand, IAG has been protecting people since 1851 and last year paid more than $6.8 million in claims.

What kind of policies do ShareCover offer?

ShareCover provide two types of insurance - home insurance and car insurance.

This is insurance for people renting out their property part-time or full-time on platforms like Airbnb, Stayz and Cover options include:

  • Pay-per-night. Suitable for part-time hosting, pay-per-night insurance means you only need to pay for insurance when you need it. It provides you with guest related risks and liability cover and you can get insured for between 1 and 90 days.
  • Short-stay rental house. This is for full-time hosts and provides you with home and contents as well as guest related risks, liability and natural perils such as bushfires.
  • Short-stay rental apartment. This is the same as short-stay rental house cover but is tailored to apartment hosting.
ShareCover provide rideshare service insurance for drivers transporting people, like Uber and Ola, but not food delivery services. With RideCover, you are covered for damage to your rideshare vehicle, damage to other people's vehicle or property and for liability. This cover applies when you are using your car for ridesharing, including,

  • When you are waiting for a booking
  • Driving to a booking
  • Driving passengers to their destination

Keep in mind that this service is an add-on. It does not replace the need for comprehensive or third party insurance for your vehicle.

How does ShareCover compare to a normal home and contents policy?

Your standard home and contents policies generally come up lacking when it comes to cover for guests, especially for damage. Most policies contain exclusions such as:

You are not covered under any section of this policy for damage, loss, cost or legal liability that is caused by, arises from or involves tenants, paying guests or boarders, or someone who lives with them or a person who entered the home or unit with their consent ...

ShareCover can fill the gaps left by your home and contents policy and provide you with added protection. Because every home and contents policy is different, it's hard to do a one-to-one comparison of cover. However, many home and contents policies provide limited-to-no cover for many of the benefits offered by ShareCover, which is highlighted in the table below.

Type of coverShareCoverNormal H&C Policy
Accidental damage
ID theft
Malicious damage
Personal liability
Portable & valuable contents
Strata property damage
Theft or attempted theft

What does a ShareCover policy include?

Here's a breakdown of some of the inclusion in each ShareCover policy.


Guest coverBuilding coverContents cover
Accidental breakage of fixed glass
Malicious damage
Theft or attempted theft
Loss of rental income
Temporary accommodation

Short-stay rental house/apartment

CoverHome and contentsGuest short stay cover
Explosion, landslide or subsidence
Theft or attempted theft
Malicious damage
Identity theft
Accidental breakage of glass
Temporary accommodation
Natural perils e.g. bushfires, storms etc
Collision or crashThe cost to repair or replace your vehicle up to the market value (max of $50,000)
Fire (not bushfire)
Malicious Acts
Vehicle pick and return
LiabilityDamage to property up to $10,000,000

How much does ShareCover home and car insurance cost?

There are several factors that impact the cost of your ShareCover home and car insurance premiums.

  • The location of your home and car. Homes and cars in certain areas are statistically more likely to experience certain insured events such as theft.
  • The type and amount of cover you select. The higher your level of cover, the more expensive your premiums will be.
  • The excess you select. Selecting a higher excess will lead to lower premiums.
  • Your claims and insurance experience. ShareCover will take your claims history into account when determining your level of risk and therefore how much your premiums will cost.
  • Compulsory government charges. These vary depending on where you live and could include stamp duty, GST and a fire services levy.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    RobertMarch 8, 2017

    If a guest is injured what is the liability cover ?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      ZubairMarch 9, 2017Staff

      Hi Robert,

      Thank you for your question.

      You have contacted, a comparison and information service and not actually ShareCover.

      ShareCover provides liability cover for up to of $10 million.

      I hope this helps,

Go to site