SGIC Home Insurance

Do you live in SA? Consider SGIC Home Insurance to cover your home and get peace of mind.

4.2 ★★★★★ (25 reviews) Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

SGIC Home Insurance offers cover for people who live in South Australia. You can choose from three policies; contents insurance, building insurance and a combined policy. This means, whether you're a homeowner or a renter, you can find a policy with SGIC.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the SGIC website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
Compare home insurance fast

Compare home insurance from other Aussie brands

Name Product Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Youi Home Insurance takes the time to tailor a premium for you.
Huddle Comprehensive Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your policy in the first year.
ANZ Home & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
The only direct Australian home insurance provider to offer full building replacement cover as a standard feature.
Green Company
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% on your first years’ premium with a new combined QBE Home and Contents policy online. T&Cs apply.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.

Compare up to 4 providers

SGIC home insurance levels of cover

SGIC offers two home insurance policies: home (basic home and contents) and home plus (comprehensive).


SGIC Home can provide cover for your building and contents against damage from storms, floods, fires, theft, vandalism and a number of other insured events. It includes cover for up to 12 months of temporary accommodation costs, new for old contents replacement, spoiled food, credit card theft, demolition and removal of debris costs as well as for visitors’ belongings. You also get $20 million of legal liability cover if someone makes a claim against you for causing death, bodily injury or property damage.

  • Covers loss or damage caused by storms, floods, water and oil leaks, tsunamis, earthquakes, lightning, fire, theft or attempted theft, vandalism, malicious acts, broken glass, impact damage, animal damage, explosion, riots or civil commotion
  • New for old contents cover
  • 12 months of temporary accommodation costs
  • Demolition and removal of debris
  • Visitors’ belongings
  • Replacement of keys and locks
  • Loss of rent for landlords
  • $20 million legal liability cover
  • Optional cover for accidental damage and electric motor burnout
  • Available as combined building and contents cover or as standalone cover for buildings or contents

Home Plus

Home Plus Insurance offers all the benefits of an SGIC Home Insurance policy, but with a few added extras to give you comprehensive protection. It provides a safety net of up to 25% on top of both your building and contents sums insured to make sure that you have extra cover to rebuild your home or replace your contents if required. It also includes automatic cover for electric motor burnout and accidental damage as well as temporary accommodation costs for up to two years.

  • All the same benefits as a home policy with added extras
  • An extra 25% of the sum insured for your buildings to help repair your home
  • An extra 25% of the sum insured for your contents to replace your contents
  • Two years temporary accommodation cover
  • Accidental damage
  • Electric motor burnout (fusion) cover
  • Covers identity theft up to $5,000
  • Covers credit card theft up to $5,000
  • Available as combined building and contents cover or as standalone cover for buildings or contents

What kind of exclusions are there?

SGIC will not pay your home insurance claim if it is caused by:

  • Rust, corrosion, gradual deterioration, depreciation, wear or tear.
  • Erosion.
  • Actions of the sea.
  • Subsidence or landslide (unless it occurs as an immediate result of an earthquake, explosion, storm or flood).
  • Mould, vermin or insects.
  • Atmospheric conditions or extreme temperature.
  • Tree roots or by tree lopping or felling on your site.
  • Lawful seizure or confiscation of your home or anything else covered by your policy.
  • War or an act of terrorism.
  • An intentional act or omission by you, your family, someone who lives in your home or by someone who acts with your consent.
  • Your involvement in any illegal activity.
  • The mechanical, structural or electrical failure of an item.
  • Business interruption costs.
  • The cost of reinstalling or replacing electronically stored files.
  • The sentimental value of an item.
  • For consequential financial loss.
  • Settling, shrinkage or expansion in buildings, foundations or walls.
  • Faulty design or workmanship.
  • You leaving your home unoccupied for 60 consecutive days or more and do not maintain it in a lived-in state.
  • You not ensuring that your home remains in good repair and condition.
  • You failing to take reasonable care to protect your home and contents against loss or damage.

What kind of excess is there?

The excess is the amount you need to contribute to the cost of a claim. There are three types of excesses that may apply and you may need to pay more than one excess. The following excesses could apply:

  • Basic excess. This excess applies to most claims and you can adjust your excess amount higher in order to receive lower premiums. The following choices of basic excess are available: $100 (or nil if you are 50 years or older), $200, $300, $500, $750, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000 or $5,000.
  • Earthquake excess. This $500 excess is payable if you make a claim for loss or damage as a result of an earthquake.
  • Special excess. The insurer may opt to impose a special excess for one or more of the listed events covered by your policy.

Who is eligible for SGIC home insurance?

SGIC offers its home insurance policies in South Australia only. Customers in other states and territories can access cover from other providers in the Insurance Australia Group. Residents in NSW, the ACT, Queensland and Tasmania should contact NRMA Insurance, while WA residents can contact SGIO.

How do I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim on your SGIC policy, it’s important to contact the insurer as soon as possible. You can make a claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in one of the following ways:

  • Online. You can lodge your claim via SGIC’s Self Service Centre. This allows you to provide details of the event and upload photos or documents to support your claim. You can also use this online portal to track the progress of your claim at any time.
  • Over the phone. You can also phone SGIC at 13 32 33 to lodge your claim. You will need to answer a few questions about the event for which you are claiming and find out whether you need to pay an excess.

You can also follow a few simple steps to make sure your claim is processed as smoothly as possible:

  • Do not make any admissions or attempt to settle any claims against you.
  • Co-operate fully with the insurer, including supplying any documents or information the insurer requests.
  • Do everything you reasonably can to prevent further loss or damage.
  • Provide the insurer with proof of loss or ownership if required.
  • Report any theft, attempted theft, identity theft, vandalism or malicious act to the police immediately.

Other questions you may have

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site