How to use an ANZ Rewards credit card to get more Velocity frequent flyer points.
Turn your ANZ credit card purchases into flights and rewards with the Velocity frequent flyer program. You can convert 2 ANZ Reward points to 1 Velocity point and have the option to set up auto-redemptions if you want your ANZ Rewards automatically deposited into your Velocity account. Otherwise, you can manually transfer a minimum of 3,000 ANZ points in blocks of two at any time. In this guide, we look at how you can use an ANZ Rewards credit card to earn Velocity points and how you can get the most out of your credit card rewards with the frequent flyer program.
Comparison of ANZ Rewards Credit Cards
Which ANZ credit cards offer Velocity points?
The following credit cards give cardholders the choice of transferring their ANZ Reward points to Velocity Points. Each of these cards offers different earn rates and features designed to suit a range of people.
- ANZ Rewards. This entry-level rewards credit card offers 1 point per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to $1,000 per statement period, then 0.5 points per $1 spent on eligible purchase above $1,000 per statement period.
- ANZ Rewards Platinum. Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to $2,000 per statement period, then 0.5 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases above $2,000 per statement period. Also get up to six months’ complimentary international travel insurance when you purchase your return international travel ticket using the ANZ Rewards Platinum credit card.
- ANZ Rewards Black. This top-tier rewards credit card comes with a huge number of extra perks, including complimentary insurance, a concierge service and airport lounge access. It earns 2 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to $5,000 per statement period, then 1 point per $1 spent on eligible purchases above $5,000 per statement period.
- ANZ Rewards Travel Adventures. This card offers 1.5 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to $2,000 per statement period, then 0.5 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases above $2,000 per statement period. Other perks of the ANZ Rewards Travel Adventures include one complimentary return domestic flight each year with Virgin Australia, no overseas transaction fee on purchases and two complimentary single entry Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
- ANZ Business Black. A rewarding top-tier business account packed with value-adding features. Get rewarded with 1.5 ANZ Reward Points per dollar spent up to $10,000 per statement period, then 1 Reward Point per $1 spent thereafter on the ANZ Business Black card.
For each of these cards, you’ll need 2 ANZ Reward points to redeem 1 Velocity point. So the higher the earn rate on your ANZ Rewards card, the more Velocity points you could potentially redeem.
How to get Velocity points with an ANZ Rewards credit card
You must be a Velocity Frequent Flyer to redeem your ANZ Rewards for Velocity Points. If you’re not, you can sign up for free in a few minutes via the Velocity website. Once you’re a member, there are two ways you can convert your ANZ Reward points to Velocity points:
- One-off manual transfers. Make one-off transfers between your ANZ Rewards and Velocity accounts by logging into your ANZ Rewards account and selecting a one-off transfer. You can transfer a minimum of 3,000 points at a time in multiples of two. Allow up to five business days to transfer ANZ Reward points to your Velocity membership.
- Auto-redemption. This feature automatically transfers your ANZ Rewards to your Velocity account when your ANZ Reward points balance reaches 3,000 points. You can opt in to auto-redemption by logging into your ANZ Rewards account.
Follow these steps to transfer your ANZ Rewards to Velocity points.
- Log in to your ANZ Rewards account.
- Select “Redeem Points”, “Travel Rewards” and then “Frequent Flyer and Air Miles”.
- Click on the Velocity Frequent Flyer logo. You will then be taken to the page for this reward.
- Select “Transfer now” for a one-off redemption, or “Set up Auto-Redemption” for automatic redemptions.
- Follow the prompts to complete the redemption process.
Allow up to five business days for Velocity points to be allocated to your membership account.
Factors to consider
If you’re considering getting an ANZ Rewards credit card to earn Velocity points, the following factors will help you compare your options.
- Point transfer rate. Remember to halve the earn rate when you’re thinking about Velocity points. ANZ Rewards are converted to Velocity points at a rate of 2:1.
- Points caps. Most ANZ Rewards credit cards have different earn rates once you meet a specific spending threshold each statement period. For example, the ANZ Rewards card earns 1 point per $1 for the first $1,000 spent in a statement period and 0.5 points per $1 for spending above $1,000 in the statement period.
- Point expiry. Keep in mind your ANZ Reward points may expire after 36 months. Once you transfer your ANZ Reward points to your Velocity account, the Velocity points do not expire.
- Annual fees. Credit card annual fees are an important factor when you assess whether or not a product is worth your while. You must spend enough on the credit card to get the annual fee back in rewards value. We compare no annual fee Velocity frequent flyer credit cards if you want to avoid this charge.
- Interest rates. Compared to low rate credit cards, rewards credit cards can cost you more in interest charges if you carry a balance from one month to the next. You can avoid the purchase rate of interest by paying your credit card balance in full by the statement due date.
- Complimentary extras. Value-adding features such as complimentary insurance do come at the price of the product’s annual fee. Travel insurance, purchase insurance, bonus points and concierge services can save you time and money, but be sure to use your credit card’s complimentary extras to get the most value from your ANZ Rewards credit card.
- Other redemption options. Other ANZ Rewards airline transfer partners include Air New Zealand Airpoints, Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines Krisflyer.
ANZ Rewards is a flexible credit card rewards program. You can redeem your points for flights or transfer your points to a frequent flyer program such as Velocity. However, they don’t have the most competitive transfer rates if you’re strictly looking to earn Velocity points. If you’re looking to rack up Velocity points quickly, compare direct-earn Velocity frequent flyer credit cards.Back to top