How to use an ANZ Rewards credit card to get Velocity frequent flyer miles.
Turn your ANZ credit card purchases into flights and rewards with the Velocity frequent flyer program. You can convert 2 ANZ Rewards points to 1 Velocity point and have the option to set up auto-redemptions if you want your ANZ Rewards automatically deposited into your Velocity account. Otherwise, you can manually transfer a minimum of 3,000 ANZ points in blocks of two at any time. In this guide, we look at how you can use an ANZ Rewards credit card to earn Velocity points and how you can get the most out of your credit card rewards with the frequent flyer program.
Comparison of ANZ Rewards Credit Cards
Which ANZ credit cards offer Velocity points?
The following credit cards offer cardholders the choice of transferring their ANZ Rewards to Velocity points. As these cards are dual cards that offer both Visa and American Express, you’ll see that the earn rates not only differ between cards, but also between whether you choose Visa or Amex.
- ANZ Rewards. ANZ Rewards is an entry-level rewards credit card featuring complimentary insurance. Get rewarded with 0.75 ANZ Rewards points per $1 when you spend using the Visa and 1.5 ANZ Rewards points for every dollar spent using the American Express.
- ANZ Rewards Platinum. Get rewarded with 1 ANZ Rewards point when you make eligible purchases using the Visa and 2 ANZ Rewards points using the American Express. Also get up to six months’ complimentary international travel insurance when you purchase your return international travel ticket using the ANZ Rewards Platinum credit card.
- ANZ Rewards Black. The top-tier rewards credit card with a huge number of extra perks, the ANZ Rewards Black rewards you with 1.25 ANZ Rewards points for every dollar spent on the Visa card and 3 points per dollar spent using the American Express.
- ANZ Rewards Travel Adventures. A credit card made to be taken on holiday. Pay no international transaction charges when you use the ANZ Rewards Travel Adventures to spend in a foreign currency, get complimentary insurance and 1 ANZ Rewards point per dollar spent using the Visa and 2 Rewards points using the American Express.
- ANZ Business Black. A rewarding top-tier business account packed with value-adding features. Get rewarded with 1 ANZ Rewards point per dollar spent on the ANZ Business Black Visa card. Unlike the ANZ Rewards Black, this is not a companion account.
For each of these cards, you’ll need 2 ANZ Rewards points to redeem 1 Velocity point. So the higher the earn rate on your ANZ Rewards card, the more Velocity points you could potentially redeem.
How many Velocity points can I get with an ANZ Rewards card?
While ANZ Rewards cards don’t directly earn Velocity points, the table below shows the equivalent points per $1 you get for each card if you transfer your ANZ Rewards points to Velocity.
|Card||ANZ Rewards earn rate||Velocity points per $1 equivalent|
|ANZ Rewards||Visa: 0.75 Amex: 1.5||Visa: 0.375 Amex: 0.75|
|ANZ Rewards Platinum||Visa: 1 Amex: 2||Visa: 0.5 Amex: 1|
|ANZ Rewards Black||Visa: 1.25 Amex: 3||Visa: 0.625 Amex: 1.5|
|ANZ Rewards Travel Adventures||Visa: 1 Amex: 2||Visa: 0.5 Amex: 1|
|ANZ Business Black||Visa: 1||Visa: 0.5|
How to get Velocity points with an ANZ Rewards credit card
You must be a Velocity Frequent Flyer to redeem your ANZ Rewards for Velocity points. If you’re not, you can sign up for free online. Once you’re a member, there are two ways you can convert your ANZ Rewards points to Velocity points: automatically or manually.
- One-off manual transfers. Make one-off transfers between your ANZ Rewards and Velocity accounts by logging into your ANZ Rewards account and selecting a one-off transfer. You can transfer a minimum of 3,000 points at a time in multiples of two. Allow up to five business days to transfer ANZ Rewards points to your Velocity membership.
- Auto-redemption. This feature automatically transfers your ANZ Rewards to your Velocity account when your ANZ Rewards points balance reaches 3,000 points. You can opt in to auto-redemption by logging into your ANZ Rewards account.
Follow these steps to transfer your ANZ Rewards to Velocity points.
- Log in to your ANZ Rewards account.
- Select “Redeem Points”, “Travel Rewards” and then “Frequent Flyer and Air Miles”.
- Click on the Velocity Frequent Flyer logo. You will then be taken to the page for this reward.
- Select “Transfer now” for a one-off redemption, or “Set up Auto-Redemption” for automatic redemptions.
- Follow the prompts to complete the redemption process.
ANZ says to allow up to five business days for Velocity points to be allocated to your membership account.
Factors to consider
If you’re considering getting an ANZ Rewards credit card to earn Velocity points, the following factors will help you compare your options.
- Dual accounts. Excluding the Business Black Visa, all ANZ Rewards credit cards come with both a Visa and an American Express card to maximise your rewards. The Amex card earns a higher rate of points per $1 spent, while the Visa card offers greater acceptance and gives you a way to avoid higher Amex surcharges. Consider your spending habits and which card you want to use in particular instances to maximise your points.
- Point transfer rate. Remember to halve the earn rate when you’re thinking about Velocity points. ANZ Rewards are converted to Velocity points at a rate of 2:1.
- Points caps. Most ANZ Rewards credit cards provide uncapped points earning, but keep in mind your points may expire after 36 months. Once you transfer your ANZ Rewards points to your Velocity account, the Velocity points do not expire.
- Annual fees. Credit card annual fees are an important factor when you assess whether or not a product is worth your while. You must spend enough on the credit card to get the annual fee back in rewards value. We compare no annual fee Velocity frequent flyer credit cards if you want to avoid this charge.
- Interest rates. Compared to low rate credit cards, rewards credit cards can cost you more in interest charges if you carry a balance from one month to the next. You can avoid the purchase rate of interest by paying your credit card balance in full by the statement due date.
- Complimentary extras. Value-adding features such as complimentary insurance do come at the price of the product’s annual fee. Travel insurance, purchase insurance, bonus points and concierge services can save you time and money, but be sure to use your credit card’s complimentary extras to get the most value from your ANZ Rewards credit card.
- Other redemption options. Other ANZ Rewards airline transfer partners include Singapore Airlines Krisflyer and Asia Miles. Transfer a minimum of 6,000 ANZ Rewards for 3,000 Krisflyer points or 3,000 ANZ Rewards for 1,000 Asia Miles.
ANZ Rewards is a flexible credit card rewards program. You can redeem your points for flights or transfer your points to a frequent flyer program such as Velocity. However, they don’t have the most competitive transfer rates if you’re strictly looking to earn Velocity points. If you’re looking to rack up Velocity points quickly, compare direct-earn Velocity frequent flyer credit cards.Back to top