St.George Credit Card Complimentary Travel Insurance
What you need to know to claim complimentary travel insurance with your St.George credit card
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Eligible St.George credit cards provide complimentary insurance cover for medical expenses, loss and damage of personal items, personal liability cover and more. This insurance is provided through Allianz, with different levels of cover applying based on whether you have a Level 1 or Level 2 St.George credit card. Signature card is Level 1 and everything else is Level 2. Find out more about the terms and conditions of the St.George credit card complimentary travel insurance below.
Which cards offer complimentary travel insurance?
These St.George credit cards offer complimentary international travel insurance as well as other purchase insurances:
What are the eligibility requirements?
You need to meet the following conditions to get St.George credit card complimentary insurance:
- Age. You must be 80 years or younger.
- Residency status. You must be a permanent resident or holder of a 457 Visa.
- Travel booking. You must charge at least $500 of your prepaid travel expenses to your eligible St.George credit card and you must hold a return ticket to Australia.
Allianz provide cover for trips of up to six months for St.George Amplify Signature customers, while Amplify Platinum cardholders are eligible for cover on trips of up to three months in length only. There is no automatic cover for pre-existing medical conditions, but you can apply for additional cover before you leave. Just be aware that extra fees may also be applied.
How do I know if I’m covered and what I’m covered for?
Providing you meet the eligibility requirements, your cover starts from when you leave your home to go to the airport or transit hub and is based on your travel ticket departure date. St.George and Allianz extend the complimentary insurance to your spouse and your dependent children if they meet these eligibility requirements:
- Your spouse and dependent(s) are travelling with you (the primary cardholder) for the entire length of the journey.
- Your spouse and dependent(s) have also charged at least $500 of their prepaid travel expenses to the eligible St.George credit card as well.
- Your spouse and dependent(s) hold a return ticket to Australia.
How do I make a claim?
|Contact Allianz by calling 1800 227 773 (Monday to Friday 8AM - 8PM AEST) within 30 days or as soon as possible of returning to Australia||To make a claim overseas call +61 7 3305 7468 International charges apply|
What information do I need to give the insurer?
You may be asked to send in copies of the following documents if you want to make a claim.
- Proof of eligibility for cover, such as a credit card statement and receipt of purchase of prepaid travel expenses
- A copy of the police report if you’re claiming for a lost or stolen items overseas
- Proof that you own the lost, stolen or damaged item
- A confirmation letter showing how your travel plans were disrupted
- A quote for repair or replacement of lost or stolen items
Not all document requirements may be relevant to your insurance claim. Allianz will advise you of specific requirements based on your circumstances and the claim type, so make sure you contact them as soon as you can after the incident.
Is there an excess?
In most cases, you’re required to pay the first $250 of each claim you make under this insurance policy. No excess applies if you’re making a claim under benefit two of the policy (loss and damage of personal property). If you’re making more than one claim, the excess only applies once.
What insurances am I covered under?
This table outlines the different benefits and levels of cover available.
|Benefit||Cover level (Up to) for Level 1 cards||Cover level (Up to) for Level 2 cards|
|Medical and hospital||Unlimited|
Bed care allowance capped at $15,000 per day
Bed care allowance capped at $15,000 per day
|Loss and damage of personal property||$20,000 per person|
$30,000 per family
|$15,000 per person|
$20,000 per family
|Cancellation of travel expenses||Unlimited cover with exceptions on travel agent fees (limited to the lesser of $500 or 15%)||Unlimited cover with exceptions on travel agent fees (limited to the lesser of $500 or 15%)|
|Continuation of journey if a relative dies||$5,750 per person|
$12,500 for a family
|$5,250 per person|
$12,500 for a family
|Rental vehicle excess||$5,500||$5,000|
|Travel delay||After more than a 6-hour delay, $500 per person capped at $1,100 for a family||After more than a 6-hour delay, $500 per person capped at $1,100 for a family|
|Accidental death||$50,000 per cardholder|
$25,000 for a spouse or dependent child
$150,000 maximum per family
|$25,000 per cardholder|
$25,000 for a spouse or dependent child
$75,000 per family
|Legal liability||Up to $2,500,000||Up to $2,500,000|
|Loss of income||$1,000 per person per week up to $12,000 maximum||$750 per person per week up to $9,000 maximum|
|Flights for domestic pets||Up to $500 and a maximum of $50 per 24-hour period||Up to $500 and a maximum of $50 per 24-hour period|
|Hospitalisation resulting from assault||Up to $500||Up to $500|
|Hijack and detention||Up to $20,000 for a family, $250 per person for a 24-hour period||Up to $20,000 for a family, $250 per person for a 24-hour period|
|Kidnapping and ransom||Up to $100,000||Up to $100,000|
- Overseas medical and dental
- Medical. You’re covered if you become sick or get injured overseas. St.George and Allianz reserve the right to fly you back to Australia if your treatment requires, and Medicare will cover you in Australia. If you choose to stay overseas in this instance, you’ll have to pay for your own medical bill. No cover is given for illness resulting from alcohol and drug use, sexually transmitted infections or pre-existing medical conditions.
- Dental. Allianz and St.George will cover dental emergencies to relieve severe pain to natural healthy teeth only (not ongoing dental treatment). You’re required to provide a letter from a medical professional as proof of why you needed the treatment.
- Theft, loss and damage to personal items. These items are covered:
|Item||Limit for Level 1 cards||Limit for Level 2 cards|
|Baggage, clothing and personal valuables||$5,000 per item||$3,500 per item|
|Portable electrical equipment and binoculars||$5,000 per item||$3,500 per item|
|Camera and camera equipment (not including scratched lenses)||$5,500 per item||$3,500 per item|
|Laptop computers and laptop equipment||$5,500 per item||Not specified|
|Travel documents, traveller’s cheques, bank notes, credit cards and so on||$550 per person$1,250 per family||$550 per person$1,250 per family|
There is no cover for personal items left unattended in a public place, or those that are misplaced or forgotten. If something is stolen, you’re required to show ownership of the item when you make a claim. If you can’t provide this proof, the insurer will only pay 10% of the limit for that type of item.
- Personal legal liability. This benefit protects you from paying compensation in case you cause harm to another person or another person’s property.
- Rental vehicle excess cover. This covers you for the excess you may have to pay if you damage a rental vehicle.
- Cancellation or travel plans and cover for unexpected costs. This benefit reimburses you for unexpected cancellation of travel plans due to one of the following events: natural disaster, if something happens to your travelling companion, or if you become ill after purchasing your ticket but before leaving the country.
Other types of insurance
- Purchase security insurance. Up to four months complimentary insurance for purchases made with an eligible St.George credit card protecting against theft, loss or damage.
- Extended warranty insurance. This cover is for purchases made in Australia and extends the Australian manufacturer’s warranty up to a period of 12 months.
- Price guarantee cover. This benefit refunds you the difference in price if you buy something with your credit card and then see it advertised elsewhere for cheaper.
- Interstate flight inconvenience policy. This covers you for the cost of delays and loss of baggage when flying domestically.
A St.George credit card can provide you with complimentary international travel insurance to protect you and your family when you’re on holiday. However, you may find that a stand-alone travel insurance policy is better suited to your needs. For example, winter activities and other physical recreational sports may not be covered by this policy. St.George offers stand-alone insurance policies, and you can also compare other international travel insurance policies that may be suited to your needs. If you have any questions about your St.George credit card insurance, contact Allianz on 1800 227 773 for more information.
Frequently asked questions
Image: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder BBL live and match preview
The Sixers and Thunder clash in the biggest Sydney Derby in the history of the Big Bash League.
Where to watch Harry Potter: Hogwarts Tournament of Houses online
Who will be declared House Cup Champion?
How to watch Ray Donovan: The Movie online in Australia
Will Mickey Donovan finally die in this wrap-up movie?
RAT scams: How to avoid getting conned with rapid antigen tests
Don't fall for the scam artists when you're trying to protect your health - here's what to check.
How to do a COVID-19 test at home for international travel
Here's where you can book COVID-19 at-home tests approved for travel and how they work.
Where to shop every product in Kiernan Shipka’s beauty routine
We've rounded up everything you need to nail the 'date-worthy' makeup look, including some affordable dupes.
American Express Corporate Gold Card
Designed for big companies, this Amex charge card offers a mix of management tools and perks – including a 100,000 bonus Membership Rewards offer.
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
Beauty Product of the Week: Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer
We tried the viral Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer and spoiler alert, it's the bee's knees.
Where to watch Hotel Transylvania 4 online for free in Australia
Drac and the Pack are back, like you’ve never seen them before.
Ask an Expert