Boost your Velocity frequent flyer point balance with a Westpac frequent flyer credit card.
If you have a Westpac Altitude credit card, you can transfer your rewards points to the Velocity frequent flyer program. Here, we look at how this option works, the range of Westpac credit cards that offer Altitude rewards and other factors you need to consider so that you can decide if a Westpac rewards credit card option is right for you.
Compare Westpac Altitude Credit Cards
All of these cards earn Altitude reward points per $1 spent on everyday purchases. These points can then be transferred to your current Velocity frequent flyer membership account, allowing you to “indirectly” earn Velocity points for spending on your Westpac credit card.
How to get Velocity points with a Westpac credit card
The Westpac Altitude Rewards program gives you the choice of one-off transfers to your Velocity frequent flyer account or ongoing, automatic redemptions every month. The details for each of these options, as well as other terms and conditions, are outlined below:
- One-off transfer. There is a minimum of 3,000 Altitude points per transfer and any additional increments must be made in multiples of 500 Altitude points at a time.
- Auto-redemption. With this option, your entire accumulated Altitude points balance is transferred across to your nominated Velocity Frequent Flyer Account every month, on your credit card statement date. A minimum balance of two Altitude points is required for an auto-redemption to occur.
- Transfer rate. Both of these options offer one Velocity point for every two Altitude Rewards points.
- Velocity membership. You must be a current member of the Velocity frequent flyer program to transfer points. You can sign up for membership at no cost on the Velocity website. The name on your Velocity membership must also match the name of the primary cardholder on the Westpac Altitude account.
- Transfer time. Be sure to allow three business days for transfers to be processed.
How to transfer your Altitude Rewards to Velocity Points
You can transfer your Altitude Rewards using the following steps:
- Log in to your Altitude Rewards account at www.altituderewards.com.au.
- Select “Redeem Points” and then select the Velocity Rewards option. You will then be shown the two different ways you can redeem points.
- Select “Transfer Now” for a one-off redemption, or “Set up Auto-Redemption” for automatic redemptions.
- Follow the prompts to complete the redemption process.
How many Velocity points per $1 can I earn with a Westpac credit card?
While Westpac Altitude rewards cards don’t directly earn Velocity points, the table below shows the equivalent points per $1 you get for each card if you transfer your Altitude points to Velocity.
|Card||Altitude Rewards earn rate||Velocity points per $1 equivalent|
Westpac Altitude Platinum
Westpac Altitude Business Gold
|Visa: 1 point per $1 spent|
Amex: 2 points per $1 spent
|Visa: 0.5 points per $1 spent|
Amex: 1 point per $1 spent
|Westpac Altitude Black||Visa: 1.25 points per $1 spent|
Amex: 2.5 points per $1 spent
|Visa: 0.625 points per $1 spent|
Amex: 1.5 points per $1 spent
|Westpac Altitude Business Platinum||Visa: 1 point per $1 spent|
Amex: 3 points per $1 spent
|Visa: 0.5 points per $1 spent|
Amex: 1.5 points per $1 spent
Factors to consider
If you’re considering getting a Westpac Velocity rewards credit card, the following factors will help you compare your options:
- Dual accounts. Westpac Altitude credit cards come with both a Visa and an American Express card to maximise your rewards. The Amex card earns a higher rate of points per $1 spent, while the Visa card offers greater acceptance and gives you a way to avoid higher Amex surcharges.
- Point transfer rate. The Altitude Rewards transfer rate of 2:1 means that you will end up with fewer Velocity points when compared to Altitude points, which could affect the overall value of the card. Make sure you consider the equivalent earn rate for Velocity points before choosing a card, and weigh up the benefits versus the costs (such as the annual fee).
- Points caps. The Westpac Altitude, Altitude Platinum and Business Altitude Gold cards all limit the amount of points you can earn each statement period. Depending on how much you spend on the account, these caps could restrict the amount of Velocity points you could potentially earn. You can estimate the impact a points cap will have by considering your average monthly spend versus the earn rate for the card. For example, if you have a points cap of 5,000 but only spend $3,000 per month, it won’t impact on your rewards, but it will if you spend an average of $6,000 per month.
- Annual fees. Westpac Altitude credit cards have annual fees ranging from $100 to $395. Make sure you weigh this cost up against the potential value you’ll get out of the rewards program, and pay particular attention to the transfer rate if you want to earn Velocity rewards.
- Complimentary extras. As with many other frequent flyer credit cards, the Westpac Altitude Platinum, Black, Business Gold and Business Platinum cards all come with a range of complimentary extras, including travel insurance. Make sure you check the conditions around these types of features, and remember that they will only add value to the account if you actually use them.
Westpac Altitude Rewards cards allow you to boost your Velocity frequent flyer balance through your everyday credit card spending. With two options for transferring Altitude points to your Velocity account, you can also choose how and when you earn points. Now, it’s just a matter of comparing these options to other Velocity credit cards so that you can find the right one for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I opt-out of Velocity Auto-Redemption?
If you decide you don’t want to automatically redeem your Altitude Rewards points for Velocity points, call the Altitude Rewards centre on 1300 887 820, 8am-8pm (AEST), Monday to Friday.
Is there a limit to the number of one-off transfers I can do each year?
No, there is no limit, providing you have at least 3,000 Altitude points per transfer.
What other frequent flyer programs can I transfer Altitude points to?
As well as Velocity Frequent Flyer, you can transfer Altitude Rewards points to any of the following programs:
Note that different transfer rates and processes may apply. Check the Altitude Rewards website for specific details on any of these rewards programs.
Can I earn Qantas points with a Westpac Altitude credit card?
Yes, you can opt-in to the Altitude Qantas program with a Westpac Altitude, Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black credit card. You can choose this option when you apply, or at any time by calling Westpac Cards Service on 1300 651 089. You should allow at least 10 business days for a request to switch to be processed or as advised at the time of your request.