The Westpac Altitude Qantas Black currently has a big bonus points offer and relatively competitive rate of points per $1 when compared to similar frequent flyer credit cards. It also offers complimentary overseas travel insurance, 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year, airport lounge passes and other insurance covers. When you're comparing this card to others, remember to weigh the potential value of the points and other perks against the yearly cost to decide if it's right for you.
Westpac Altitude Qantas Black
- Bonus points
- Purchase rate
- 19.99% p.a.
- Reward points per $ spent
- Annual fee
- $370 p.a.
The Westpac Altitude Qantas Black Credit Card is a top-tier frequent flyer credit card that currently has one of the biggest bonus point offers on the market. If you apply by 31 July 2024, you’ll get 90,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $6,000 on eligible purchases in the first 120 days. And an additional 30,000 points after the first eligible purchase has been made in the second year (120,000 bonus points total). That’s enough for a return economy flight from Sydney to London (110,400 Qantas Points plus fees and taxes), or a one-way business class flight from Melbourne to Los Angeles (108,400 points plus fees and taxes). But keep in mind that you would have to pay the combined $370 annual fee and rewards fee twice to get all the points.
The Westpac Altitude Qantas Black card also earns 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 on all eligible spending. While points are capped at $250,000 of spending per year, you'd need to spend an average of $20,833 per month to reach that limit. So, it's unlikely to affect most people.
Up to 120,000 bonus Qantas Points
Complimentary insurance covers and airport lounge passes
0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent
Offers only up to 45 days interest-free on purchases, as compared to other cards that offer up to 55 days
Charges a relatively high annual fee of $370 p.a (includes $75 Qantas Rewards fee)
|Westpac Altitude Qantas Black
|Purchase rate p.a.
|Up to 45 days on purchases
|Cash advance rate p.a.
|Min credit limit
|Max credit limit
|Available to temporary residents
|Yes - Conditions apply
|Qantas Frequent Flyer
|Rewards points per $ spent
|Rewards points cap
|Minimum monthly repayment
|2% of the closing balance or $10, whichever is greater
|Late payment fee
|Foreign currency conversion fee
|Cash advance fee
|Additional cardholder fee
|Number of additional cardholders
How to apply
You can apply for the Westpac Altitude Qantas Black card by completing a secure application on the bank's website. Before you start, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary information to complete the application.
- New cardholder. This bonus points offer is only available to new Westpac customers. That means anyone who has held a Westpac Altitude Classic, Altitude Platinum, Altitude Black or any Westpac Earth card in the past 12 months won't be eligible.
- Minimum income. You must earn at least $75,000 annually.
- Residency. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Credit history. You must have a good credit score to apply.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- Personal information. This includes your full name, date of birth, number of dependents and contact details. You also need to provide a valid form of ID, such as your Australian driver's licence, Medicare card or Australian passport.
- Employment details. This covers your employment status, salary and your employer's contact details. You'll also need to provide recent payslips or bank statements and your most recent ATO tax assessment notice if you're self-employed.
- Finances. Includes any other sources of income, along with existing loans, credit cards and other financial liabilities. You also need to provide an estimate of your share of spending on household essentials.
- Frequent flyer number. You'll need to include your Qantas Frequent Flyer number so your points can be debited to your account.
- Up to 120,000 bonus Qantas Points. When you apply for a new Westpac Altitude Qantas Black Credit Card by 31 July 2024, select Qantas Frequent Flyer as your rewards program and spend at least $6,000 on eligible purchases in the first 120 days from card approval, you will get 90,000 bonus Qantas Points. You'll get another 30,000 points after making your first eligible purchase in the second year. Your points will be added to your account within 12 weeks after you've met the spend requirement.
- Qantas Points per $1 spent. You'll earn 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 on eligible spending, up to a maximum of $250,000 per year. Bonus Qantas Points are not included in this cap. Eligible transactions include most of your everyday shopping at retail stores, cafes and petrol stations. Transactions that won't earn points include ATM withdrawals, cash advances, BPAY payments and balance transfers.
- Complimentary insurance. The Westpac Altitude Qantas Black gives you access to complimentary insurance covers including overseas travel insurance, transit accident insurance, purchase security insurance and extended warranty insurance.
- Westpac Concierge. The 24/7 Westpac Concierge service can help you with anything from booking restaurants, securing concert tickets or planning an event. You can make requests over the phone by calling 1300 651 999.
- Qantas Club Lounge invitations. You'll get 2 complimentary Qantas Club lounge invitations per year with this card. To be eligible, you must register and then use your Westpac Altitude Qantas Black Card in Australia to purchase selected Qantas products and services directly with Qantas. You'll receive your invitations within 14 days of meeting the eligible spend. The features will vary between lounges, but you can usually look forward to complimentary bar service, fresh snacks and beverages as well as high speed Wi-Fi.
- Mobile wallet. If you link your card with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay, you can use your eligible smartphone or smartwatch to make contactless mobile payments at the checkout. You can also use your fitness tracker via Garmin Pay and Fitbit Pay.
- Card security. This card is protected by CardShield to help guard your card from fraudulent activity online or in person. You can also shop online with peace of mind thanks to the online transaction security guarantee. The 24/7 Fraud Protection system monitors every card transaction and informs Westpac if any suspicious activity is spotted. Your card is also protected with an embedded microchip.
Rates & fees
- Annual fee. The Westpac Altitude Qantas Black Credit Card has a $370 yearly account cost, which is made up of a $295 annual fee and $75 yearly rewards fee for choosing to earn Qantas Points.
- Purchase interest rate. The 19.99% p.a. variable purchase rate on this card is around the average rate for credit cards in Australia.
- Cash advances. If you use this card to withdraw cash or for any other cash advances, you'll be charged a cash advance fee of 3% of each cash advance amount and the 21.49% p.a. cash advance interest rate. And cash advances are not eligible for any interest-free period.
- Interest-free period. This card offers up to 45 days interest-free on new purchases when you pay the monthly payment balance listed on your statement in full by the payment due date. Note that these interest-free days are separate from any longer-term interest rate promotions and the monthly payment balance excludes current balance transfers.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
July 26, 2023
How much can I transfer from the balance owing on our Bankwest Credit Card to a new Altitude Black Qantas Card. Is there an interest free period on that transfer?
Amy Bradney-George Finder
July 31, 2023
The maximum amount you can balance transfer to an eligible Westpac credit card is typically up to 80% of the approved, available credit limit on the new card. But keep in mind that the actual balance transfer amount is subject to lending criteria and approval, so it may be different to this. And according to the terms and conditions currently available for this card on the Westpac website, there is no balance transfer offer available at the moment. If you want a balance transfer, you can compare offers currently available on Finder. You can also contact Westpac on 1300 651 089 to discuss your options with the bank. I hope this helps.
Show more Show less
July 17, 2023
Can you bring an existing balance from another card over to this card and, if so, what are the Ts&Cs?
Elizabeth Barry Finder
July 28, 2023
This card does not offer a balance transfer facility. You can compare a range of balance transfer credit cards here.
Hope this helps,
July 12, 2021
I purchased an item online and the product was not what I ordered and faulty. The company refused to cooperate. I paid for the item with my altitude qantas black card. How do I make a warranty claim?
Alanna Glenn Finder
July 14, 2021
Hi James, it doesn’t sound like your purchase would be covered by the extended warranty insurance offered by the Altitude Black. This is for items that come with an Australian warranty and simply extends it. However, you can request a chargeback when it comes to faulty products. You need to lodge the request with Westpac directly. You’ll find everything you need in Westpac’s Guide to Chargebacks.
Show more Show less
July 18, 2019
I had a Westpac Low Interest card and went to a branch and changed it for a Westpac Altitude Black card. I am a Qantas Frequent Flyer.
Should I get the 80,000 Qantas points they advertise for swapping to this new card?
July 19, 2019
Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.
As per the “Things you should know” part of this card’s application page, so long that you do not currently hold or haven’t held any of Earth Platinum, Earth Platinum Plus, Earth Black, Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black credit card in the last 12 months, then you may be eligible for the bonus rewards points.
I hope this helps.
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Show more Show less
October 18, 2018
Can we cancel the credit card after a year?
October 18, 2018
Thanks for reaching out to finder.
There is no specific information on Westpac’s T&C about any required duration of holding the card prior to cancellation but generally, you can cancel credit cards at anytime. Please note though, that there will be no refund for any annual fee paid at the start of the year.
You can contact Westpac directly if you need further information on this. I hope this helps.
Show more Show less