GoTalk offers prepaid SIMs with a mix of calling options for both local and international calls.
What services does GoTalk offer?
GoTalk’s phone plans operate on a SIM-only basis running on Vodafone’s 4G network, with all plans offered on a prepaid basis. This does mean that you’ll need a compatible handset to bring to GoTalk in order to utilise its service, which is a common factor for most MVNOs.
How much does GoTalk cost?
GoTalk’s plans are all offered on a prepaid structure, with the majority of plans operating on a pay as you go (PAYG) basis. That means that you deposit a set quantity of funds against a given plan and utilise that credit as you see fit for calls, texts and data usage.
The gotalk anytime plan charges for standard national calls at 19c per minute plus a 29c flagfall. Text messages are charged at 15c each, while MMS messages cost 80c each. Data is charged at 5c/MB. Calls to other mobiles on Gotalk Mobile are free. Credit lasts for 90 days on this plan.
The gotalk Aussie plans are 30 day prepaid plans with unlimited calls and texts included as standard. The $30 tier of this plan comes with 2GB of data while the $40 tier provides 4GB of data. Additional data costs 5c per MB.
The gotalk MAX plan operates on a peak/off peak basis, with prepaid credit that lasts for 90 days. During peak periods, defined as 11am to midnight, calls to other networks are charged at 19c per minute with a 30c flagfall. In off-peak (midnight to 11am) periods, costs to call drop to 10c per minute plus a 30c flagfall. If you’re contacting another gotalk mobile, the first 5 minutes of any call are free, and then 19c/minute plus 30c flagfall during peak and 10c/minute plus 30c flagfall in off-peak times. Text messages are 15c to mobiles on other networks or 5c to gotalk mobiles. MMS cost 80c each whether they’re to gotalk mobiles or other networks. Data is charged at 5c/MB.
The Straight Talk Plus plan offers 90 day expiry on your prepaid credit. Like the MAX plans, calls are charged depending on whether you’re calling a mobile on gotalk’s network or external to it. External calls cost 15c per minute plus a 35c flagfall, while if you call a mobile on gotalk’s network the first five minutes are free, after which you pay 15c per minute plus a 29c flagfall. Texts within the gotalk network are 5c each, while external texts cost 15c each. MMS are 80c each. Data usage is charged at 5c per MB.
What extras does Gotalk offer?
The variety of prepaid plans that gotalk offers gives you a wide variety of choices depending on your usage pattern. The anytime plan doesn’t charge for calls to landlines beyond a simple 29c flagfall, so if you primarily call regular phones it could be very good value. gotalk Aussie is best suited for those who need unlimited calls and text provisions, while the gotalk MAX pack could suit night owls well. Finally, the key hook for the Straight Talk Plus pack is the variety of international calling locations provided at very low per-minute costs.
- Low entry barrier. gotalk’s prepaid plan packs start at $9.95, and most plans have 90 day expiry to use it in.
- Decent international rates. If your needs include calling a lot of diverse locations, gotalk’s rates may appeal.
- Confusing call costs. Who really keeps track of the networks their contacts are on? gotalk’s variable pricing could see you use up your credit faster than you think.
- Global calling but no roaming. You can call overseas locations with gotalk mobile, but if you travel overseas you’ll be out of luck, as roaming isn’t supported at all.
gotalk Mobile prepaid recharge options
If you're a user of gotalk's prepaid services, the time will come when you need to recharge your balance. Here's how you do just that.
- Via credit card online: gotalk users can recharge their prepaid plans via gotalk's recharge site, with payments accepted via Visa, Mastercard, American Express, PayPal or voucher.
- With a voucher: gotalk recharge vouchers can be purchased at over 20,000 retailers nationwide, with some outlets allowing you to use the recharge card provided with your starter kits to streamline the recharge process.
- Over the phone: gotalk customers can call 126 467 from their gotalk mobiles or on 1800 122 279 from other phone services to arrange recharges.