You can apply for most Australian credit cards easily online. Although you can receive a response within 60 seconds of submitting an application, you still need to meet the eligibility requirements before you will be approved a credit card. You can use this guide to compare credit cards that offer "instant" approval (within 60 seconds) and realistic eligibility requirements. We also break down the steps you can take to apply for a card online and increase your chances of approval.
Compare instant approval and low-income credit cards
Compare credit cards you can apply for online
If you meet the eligibility requirements and provide the necessary information, you can receive a response within 60 seconds when you apply for one of the credit cards below:
Can I really get easy and instant approval?
You can typically complete a credit card application online within 10-20 minutes. Then, if you complete the application correctly, you can usually expect a response within 60 seconds. It is a simple process, but you still need to meet the eligibility requirements to get approval. You may find that some cards are easier to apply for than others because they have eligibility criteria (such as income requirements and credit limits) that better suit your situation.
Australian credit card issuers will only approve applicants who have a good credit history. If you haven't checked your credit history, you can order a free copy of your report and credit score from Finder to get started. If you have already applied for a credit card and were not approved, you should spend some time improving your credit score and comparing cards with suitable eligibility terms and conditions before you apply for another card.
Get Your Free Credit Score
Which types of credit cards are easy to apply for?
Credit card application requirements typically increase with more premium cards that offer a wider range of perks and benefits. The following types of credit cards may have lower eligibility criteria that could suit your needs:
- Low income credit cards. You usually need to meet a minimum annual income threshold to apply for a credit card. Low income credit cards usually accept cardholders with a good credit history and an income of at least $15,000 p.a. You will need to provide proof of your income (including recent payslips and details of your employer), so it's important to organise these supporting documents before beginning your application.
- Low rate cards. These cards charge a competitive purchase interest rate but fewer extra features (such as rewards, complimentary insurance and travel credits) than premium cards. Low rate cards are also more likely to have lower minimum income requirements, which could make it easier to apply for one.
- Low credit limit credit cards. Cards with higher credit limits often have more features and stricter income requirements. If you have a low income, you can compare cards with low credit limits that start at around $500 to find a card that suits your financial situation and eligibility requirements. Learn more about credit card limit calculations and compare cards with different minimum credit limits in this guide.
- Joint account cards. If you don’t earn enough to apply for a credit card, you can consider applying for one as a joint applicant. That way you can combine your income with your partner’s income. Applying for a joint account credit card may take a little longer, as both you and your partner would need to provide details and supporting documentation. If your partner has an existing credit card, you could also think about applying for an additional card instead (although the account would remain in your partner's name). You can compare cards that offer joint accounts here.
- Low annual fee cards. Annual fees on credit cards vary, but cards with low fees are likely to have fewer extra features and may have lower income requirements.
How to apply for a credit card online
Once you've compared your options, you can apply for a credit card online and receive a response within 60 seconds. Every card has specific requirements, but these are some of the eligibility criteria, documents and information you'll need to complete your application:
To apply, you would usually have to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You’re at least 18 years of age
- You’re a permanent resident of Australia or an Australian citizen
- You have a regular source of income and meet the minimum annual income requirement
- You have a good credit history
Necessary documents and information
You also need to provide different types of information, which could include the following:
- Complete name, date of birth, and details from your Australian driver’s license or passport
- Residential address, email address, and phone number
- Employer’s name, phone number and address
- Details of your income and expenses including a recent payslip
Most credit cards are easy to apply for online, but remember that you need to meet the eligibility criteria to get approval and compare your options before you apply.Back to top
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit
cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative
of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular
order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are
subject to our disclaimer.
You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own
personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.