Explore the rewards you can get with a credit card linked to the CUA Life Rich Rewards program.
If you have a Credit Union Australia (CUA) platinum credit card, you’ll be able to earn Life Rich Rewards points for every $1 you spend on your purchases. You can use these points to pay for travel bookings, entertainment tickets, gift cards and a wide variety of other items available on the CUA Life Rich Rewards website.
Learn more about the CUA Life Rich Rewards program in this guide, which covers how to enrol in the program and ways to earn and redeem points. We also explain what transactions won’t earn points and other factors to consider so you can decide if a credit card linked to CUA Life Rich Rewards is right for you.
Did you know?Which CUA credit cards offer Life Rich Rewards?
Both the CUA Platinum Credit Card and the CUA Brisbane Heat supporters’ Platinum Credit Card are linked to this rewards program. While anyone can apply for the CUA Platinum, you need to be a paid Brisbane Heat member to get the CUA Brisbane Heat supporters’ Platinum.
How to earn CUA Life Rich Rewards points
The CUA Platinum and CUA Brisbane Heat supporters’ Platinum both offer complimentary membership to CUA’s Life Rich Rewards program. Once you have one of these cards, you can start earning and tracking your CUA Life Rich Rewards points using the following steps:
- Go to cuarewards.com.au
- Click on the orange “Activate” button in the top right-hand corner of the homepage to set up your CUA Life Rich Rewards account.
- Enter your credit card number, birthdate, email address and a password, click “Submit” and follow the prompts to confirm your account activation.
Once you’ve confirmed your account, you’ll earn 1 point per $1 spent on purchases with your eligible CUA Platinum card.
Transactions that don’t earn points
While most of your everyday spending will earn points through the CUA Life Rich Rewards program, the following transactions are not eligible for rewards:
- Cash advances
- Balance transfers
- Bank fees and charges
- Interest charges
- Government charges (other than GST payable in connection to everyday purchases)
- All purchases for gaming and gambling transactions
- Card account adjustments resulting from disputed transactions
The CUA Platinum Credit Card terms and conditions booklet for other benefits also explains that the credit union may exclude other transactions from time to time. Your account also has to be in good standing for you to be eligible to earn points.
What rewards can I get through the CUA Life Rich Rewards program?
Here’s a rundown of the different reward categories and options you have through this program:
- Travel. You can use points to pay for flights, accommodation, tours, activities, car hire and more though CUA’s Redeem4Travel service on the CUA rewards website.
- Appliances. Your options range from irons and vacuum cleaners to blenders, slow cookers, toasters, kettles and everything in between.
- Home. This category includes homewares such as sheets and dining sets, gardening gear and fashion and beauty items.
- Technology. Depending on how many CUA reward points you have, you could get some new headphones, speakers or even an iPad or MacBook.
- Toys and children’s items. There’s a range of different games and toys available for kids of all ages in this category.
- Travel goods. Need a new suitcase, backpack, overnight bag or some travel accessories? This section is where you’ll find the options available with your CUA Life Rich Rewards points.
- Entertainment and experiences. Use points to get movie tickets, theme park entry, spa vouchers and gift hampers.
- Magazines and books. You could use your points to pay for a subscription to a magazine, such as Better Homes and Gardens, Country Style or Money. There are also notebooks and pens available in this category.
- Gift cards and shopping vouchers. CUA Life Rich Rewards offers a wide range of e-gift cards for brands such as Myer, David Jones, JB Hi-Fi, Bunnings Warehouse, Kmart and Target.
- Charitable donations. If you want to give back to a good cause, you could use your reward points to make a donation to a charity such as the Cancer Council, The Salvation Army, Landcare or Starlight Children’s Foundation.
As well as these categories, the CUA Life Rich Rewards website also has handy sections for sale items, rewards that can be dispatched in 48 hours and items you can get for 25,000 points or less.
How do I redeem points through CUA Life Rich Rewards?
Follow these simple steps to make use of your CUA reward points:
- Log in to your account at cuarewards.com.au.
- Browse the rewards and select your chosen option.
- Click the orange “Add to cart” button and follow the prompts to complete your redemption.
Note that for travel bookings, you’ll need to click the “Book now” button to be taken to the Redeem4Travel website. From there you can enter your travel booking details and make your redemption.
What if I don’t have enough points for a reward?
If there’s something you really want to get with points but don’t quite have enough in your account, you can use a combination of points and cash. Just select your reward and click the "Use Points plus Pay" option. You can then choose the mix of CUA Life Rich Rewards points and cash to redeem the reward. Just note that a minimum point amount may apply for specific
What else do I need to know about CUA Life Rich Rewards credit cards?
Keep these factors in mind to help you decide if the CUA Life Rich Rewards program is right for you.
- Bonus points. Depending on the CUA platinum card you choose and when you apply, you could be able to get thousands of bonus points as a new cardholder. This type of offer could give you hundreds of dollars of value, though it is worth noting that you’ll usually have to spend a certain amount in the first few months to get the bonus points.
- No point expiry. Your Life Rich Rewards points won’t expire as long as your CUA Platinum credit card account remains active.
- Point cap. You’ll earn 1 point per $1 spent on purchases, up to a spending cap of $100,000 per year.
- Annual fee. The CUA Platinum and CUA Brisbane Heat supporters’ Platinum both have a standard annual fee of $149, although the first year is free. Ideally, the value you get from your card through rewards and other benefits should outweigh this cost.
- Interest rates. If you carry a balance from your purchases, you’ll be charged interest at the standard variable rate for your card. This is currently 19.99% p.a. for the CUA Platinum and CUA Brisbane Heat supporters’ Platinum.
- Additional cardholders. CUA platinum cards offer you up to 9 additional cardholders at no extra charge. This means you could share your account with a partner or family member, who will also earn points per $1 spent on purchases charged to the account. Just take note that you’ll be responsible for making sure the card is paid off and kept in good standing.
- Other card benefits. Both CUA platinum cards come with complimentary international travel insurance, transit accident insurance and purchase protection insurance. You also have the benefit of a Mastercard concierge service that could help you with anything from restaurant and hotel reservations to buying gifts for loved ones.
The CUA Life Rich Rewards program gives you a way to earn points for your everyday credit card spending, with a large selection of rewards available. You can compare this program with the many other credit card reward programs on the market to help you find an account that’s right for you.
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top