Open a transaction account for everyday banking, a savings account for times to come or a term deposit for fixed returns.
St.George started operations in 1937, from a southern Sydney suburb, and in 1992 it achieved complete banking status. A merger of St.George and its South Australian brand, BankSA, with Westpac Banking Corporation took place in 2008.
Bank Account Offer
$50 cash bonus available.
Waived account keeping fees when minimum deposit is met with no minimum balance. Receive a $50 cash bonus if you open a new account online before 29 June 2018 and deposit $500 (or $250 for students & under 21s) within 45 days. T&Cs apply.
- Account keeping fee: $5.00
- Linked debit card: Visa
- ATM withdrawal fee: $0.00
- Overseas EFTPOS fee: 3%
Awards that St.George Bank has earned
- Australian Banking & Finance Corporate and Business Banking Awards, 2011. St.George Corporate & Business Bank awarded Best Cash Management Business Bank of the Year
- Australian Banking & Finance Corporate and Business Banking Awards, 2010. Best Service Bank - Corporate, Best Bank - SME, Best Service Bank - SME, Best Product Bank - SME, Best Internet Bank, and Most Innovative Bank
- Money Magazine Awards, 2009. St.George Direct Saver awarded 'Best of the Best' DIY Super Saving Account
Who is St.George?
Bank accounts that St.George provides give customers the liberty to pick one or more as per their needs. While a savings account can help you save in accordance to your goals, an everyday account is suitable for day to day use, and if you wish to benefit by earning high interest on money you don’t need right now, you can consider opening a term deposit.
- St.George's SWIFT code: SGBLAU2S
St.George provides its customers with an internet banking platform and a mobile banking app. You can use these to activate new St.George debit and credit cards, and you can even use these platforms to apply for a new credit card, home loan, or bank account. These platforms give you easy means to access account related information, and you can use them to make bills payments and transfer funds to other accounts.
The use of SSL technology ensures encryption of all transmitted data, and an automatic time out period offers added safety.
Notable features include:
- Customise how your dashboard looks
- Schedule payments up to 24 months in the future
- Set up alerts
what about the mobile app?Image Source: Google play store
|Login page||Account balance||Self serve|
What transaction accounts are offered by St.George?
Complete Freedom Account
The Complete Freedom account comes with a linked Visa debit card, giving you easy access to your money, and you don’t have to pay ATM fees at more than 3,000 ATMs across Australia. If you deposit or more in your account by the last business day of each month, you qualify for a monthly fee waiver.
Retirement Access Plus Account
You can apply for this account if you’re a pensioner or a retiree, and this account does not attract any ongoing account keeping fees. You can bank in person by visiting any St.George branch, and you can get an optional Visa debit card. If your minimum monthly balance is less than $20,000, you get eight free transactions per month, and this changes to unlimited transactions if your minimum monthly balance exceeds $20,000.
This account is for concession card holders, and does not attract any monthly account keeping fees. It comes with a linked Visa debit card, and offers unlimited transactions at St.George branches.
What high interest savings accounts are offered by St.George?
Maxi Saver Account
New customers stand to earn a bonus rate for the first 3 months, and they get round-the-clock access to free-free online and phone banking. You don’t have to pay any monthly service fee to maintain this account, and you can link it to an eligible St.George transaction account for ease of access.
Incentive Saver Account
This account encourages you to save by offering a bonus interest rate every month you don’t make a withdrawal and make at least one deposit. It does not attract any ongoing account keeping fees, and does not have any minimum balance requirement.
DIY Super Saver Account
This online savings account is for Self Managed Super Funds, and new customers can earn a bonus interest for the first 4 months. You can access funds in this account at any time via online and phone banking through an eligible St.George account or through a St.George branch. You don’t have to pay any account keeping fees.
Investment Cash Account
This savings account is ideal for investors and Self Managed Super Funds, offering a competitive interest rate while not charging any account keeping fees. Internet banking is free, and you also get five free withdrawals per month, of which two can be staff assisted.
What term deposits are offered by St.George?
You can open a St.George term deposit with any amount in between $1,000 and $250,000, and you can choose a term of one month to five years. Access to your account comes via online and phone banking, you get multiple interest repayment options, and you also get choices of what to do when the term deposit matures.Back to top
What are the pros and considerations of St.George accounts?
- Assortment of accounts. St.George provides a range of bank accounts to suit different needs, and you can look forward to opening an account as a student, as a retiree, as someone who wishes to save, or as someone who wants easy access to money at all times.
- Online and phone banking. No matter which St.George account you open, you can expect to access account related information over the phone and online. If you have a transaction account, you can use funds in your account to shop online and over the phone.
- Branch banking. Most St.George bank accounts enable you to visit branches to make transactions and seek account related information, and you can visit any of around 400 St.George and BankSA branches across Australia.
- Fees. If you’re considering opening and maintaining a transaction account, you might have to end up paying account keeping fees if you don’t meet certain criteria.
How do I apply for a St.George savings account?
You need to compare the accounts offered by St. George to make sure they suit your personal financial needs and your unique situation. If you decide one of the accounts meets your needs, you can visit any St.George Bank branch to apply, you can apply over the phone, and you can apply online. Applying online takes no more than a few minutes, and to begin now, simply click on the ‘Go to Site’ button.
Before doing so, make sure you meet the required eligibility criteria.
- You meet the given account’s age requirements
- You have an Australian residential address and reside in Australia
To complete the application you have to provide the following:
- Personal information like your name, date of birth, and contact details
- One form of ID to verify your identity (driver’s license, passport, birth certificate, or Medicare card)
While St.George offers numerous bank account options from which to choose, so do other banks. As a result, make sure you compare a few before deciding.