How do I earn KrisFlyer miles with a credit card in Australia?
You can earn KrisFlyer miles by transferring credit card reward points to your frequent flyer account. A range of credit card reward programs have partnerships with the Singapore Airlines loyalty program, including American Express Membership Rewards, ANZ Rewards, NAB Rewards and Westpac Altitude Rewards.
Usually, you just need to earn a minimum number of credit card reward points before you can redeem them for KrisFlyer miles. You can also choose a card which earns Velocity Points, and then transfer those Velocity Points to KrisFlyer.
How many KrisFlyer miles will I earn with a credit card?
The KrisFlyer miles you'll get from a points transfer depends on how many points you earn from spending with the card and the point transfer rate.
For example, if a credit card offered 150,000 bonus rewards points and a transfer rate of 3 reward points to 1 KrisFlyer mile, you could get 50,000 KrisFlyer miles. And if the same card earned 1.5 reward point per $1, it would give you an equivalent earn rate of 0.5 KrisFlyer miles per $1 (assuming you transferred all the points).
Credit card reward programs that offer KrisFlyer miles
Here are details of the reward programs that offer point transfers to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, including Velocity Frequent Flyer. We've included the point transfer rates publicly available but remember, you'll get accurate details for your card when you log in to redeem points.
|Rewards program||Transfer rates and details||Minimum transfer|
|American Express Membership Rewards||3 Membership Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||7,500 Membership Rewards points|
|ANZ Rewards||3 ANZ Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||1,500 ANZ Reward Points|
|Bank of Melbourne Amplify Rewards||3 Amplify Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||3,000 Amplify Rewards points|
|BankSA Amplify Rewards||3 Amplify Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||3,000 Amplify Rewards points|
|Citi Rewards||3 Citi Rewards = 1 KrisFlyer mile||Not publicly listed – log in to your Citi Rewards account for details|
|CommBank Awards||3 CommBank Awards Points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||Not publicly listed – log in to your CommBank Awards account for details|
|HSBC Rewards Plus (Premier card only)||2 HSBC Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||5,000 HSBC Rewards points|
|NAB Rewards||3 NAB Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||3,000 NAB Rewards points|
|St.George Amplify Rewards||3 Amplify Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||3,000 Amplify Rewards points|
|Suncorp Rewards||2.5 points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||Not publicly listed – log in to your Suncorp Rewards account for details|
|Star Alliance (HSBC)||1 Star Alliance Point = 0.8 KrisFlyer miles||1,000 Star Alliance Points|
|Velocity Frequent Flyer||1.55 Velocity Points = 1 KrisFlyer miles||5,000 Velocity Points|
|Westpac Altitude||3 Altitude Points = 1 KrisFlyer mile||3,000 Altitude Points|
Pros and cons
- Get KrisFlyer miles without flying. By earning points per $1 on your eligible credit card spending, you can add to your KrisFlyer miles balance even when you're not flying.
- Choice of rewards. If you want to switch from earning KrisFlyer miles, a rewards credit card gives you lots of other ways to redeem points.
- Other travel perks. Many credit cards also offer other travel benefits, such as complimentary insurance, lounge access and concierge services you can use to get more bang for your buck.
- Point transfer rates. Most credit cards offer a 3:1 conversion rate, which could mean you lose value from the transfer. It also makes it harder to calculate how many KrisFlyer miles you're actually earning per $1 spent on the card.
- High rates and fees. Reward credit cards have higher annual fees and interest rates than no-frill options, so you'll need to make sure the KrisFlyer miles you're earning outweigh the costs. Here's how to calculate the value.
- KrisFlyer miles expiry risk. KrisFlyer miles expire 36 months after you earn them. To make sure you don't waste them, only transfer them when you're ready to redeem them for a flight or other reward.
What else do I need to know about credit cards with KrisFlyer miles?
If you want to earn more KrisFlyer miles with a credit card, make sure you think about these details:
As well as looking at the number of credit card points you'll earn per $1 spent, work out what this converts to in KrisFlyer miles. For example, with a card that earns 2 points per $1 and has a conversion rate of 2:1, you'd essentially earn 1 KrisFlyer mile per $1 spent.
Work out how many KrisFlyer miles you'll get once the bonus points are transferred (based on the card's conversion rate). Also look at the minimum spend requirement and decide if you'll be able to make enough purchases to meet it.
Some reward credit cards limit the number of points you can earn per month or year. If you think your spending will take you over a card's points cap, you may want to look for one that offers a higher cap or uncapped rewards.
Point transfer times
It could take up to 15 business days from when you transfer points to when they're added to your KrisFlyer account. So you'll need to factor that in when you're planning to redeem KrisFlyer miles for a reward flight.
Rates and fees
Check the ongoing annual fee, keeping in mind that some cards offer a reduced or $0 annual fee in the first year. Also look at the interest rate that will apply to your purchases if you don't pay off your whole balance each month.
Frequently asked questions
Why you can trust Finder's credit card experts
Our comparison tables are completely free to use. We link you directly to the lender's secure application page. Better still, we regularly have exclusive offers that you won't find on any other site.
We've researched and rated hundreds of cards as part of our Finder Awards. We've published 200+ guides and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by a bank or lender. That means our opinions are our own and you can compare nearly every credit card in Australia on Finder.
Since 2012, we've helped almost 6 million people find a credit card by comprehensively comparing offers. We'll never ask for your personal information. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
- Singapore Airlines flight search (5 October 2023)
- KrisFlyer financial services partners (accessed 5 October 2023)
- American Express Membership Rewards KrisFlyer miles transfer details (accessed 5 October 2023
- ANZ Rewards KrisFlyer miles transfer details accessed 4 August 2023
- Citi Rewards KrisFlyer miles transfer details accessed 4 August 2023
- NAB Rewards KrisFlyer miles transfer details accessed 4 August 2023
- Suncorp Rewards KrisFlyer transfer details accessed 4 August 2023
- KrisFlyer and Virgin Australia alliance details accessed 2 May 2023
More guides on Finder
How to transfer credit card reward points to Velocity
From transfer rates to bonus point offers, find out how converting credit card rewards to Velocity Points works so you can boost your frequent flyer balance.
Qantas Status Credits – How to get them
Find out if there are any credit card offers that let you earn Qantas Frequent Flyer Status for your eligible spending and learn more about how to reach Silver, Gold or Platinum Qantas status.
Frequent flyer credits cards with no annual fee
How to pay less for your card while still earning points.
The best ways to spend 100,000 Velocity Points
From flights and hotel stays to travel packages, gift cards and merchandise, here’s how to make the most of 100,000 Velocity Points based on your lifestyle and goals.
How many points do you need to upgrade to business class with Qantas and Velocity?
Discover how many Qantas or Velocity points you need to book or upgrade to a business class flight ticket.
Air Miles Credit Cards
Reward your spending with an air miles credit card and redeem points for your next flight.
Ask an Expert