Home insurance in Victoria

Victoria leads the country in break-ins with a staggering 65,000 burglaries happening in 2017. Home insurance just makes sense.

Victoria has the highest number of break-ins anywhere in the country, but it's also no stranger to natural disasters like bushfire, flood and storms.

Home insurance will cover you if the local hooligans send a footy through your window, a flood takes out your whole basement or an opportunistic thief visits your house while you're gone.

Want the best home insurance for Victoria? Start your search here.

Details Features
Home & Contents Insurance
Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% when you purchase cover online
  • 24/7 Phone & online claims service
  • Covers the cost of rebuilding or repairing your home
  • Covers in-home contents and contents away from address
  • Choice of excess options
Go to site More info
Home and Contents Insurance
Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online.
  • Sum insured safety net
  • Emergency accommodation for up to 12 months
  • $5,000 credit card loss
  • Up to $10,000 gardens and landscaping cover
Go to site More info
Home and Contents
Home and Contents
30% online discount. Earn 5,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points when purchasing a new eligible policy. T&C’s apply.
  • Save 30% when purchasing online
  • Up to $20 million legal liability cover
  • 21 day money back guarantee if a claim has not been made
  • Optional extras on offer
Go to site More info
Home and Contents Insurance
Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% when you purchase combined Home and Contents online.
  • Cover for fire, explosion, storm and flood
  • New for old contents replacement
  • Up to $1,000 replacement of locks
  • Accidental glass breakage, theft and burglary
Go to site More info
Building and Contents Insurance
Building and Contents Insurance
24/7 emergency claims assistance so you’re never left in the dark.
  • Cover for loss or damage by theft, attempted theft
  • Cover for damage from accidental fire
  • Cover for burnout of electric motors
  • Optional accidental damage cover
Go to site More info
Untitled design (15) (1)

What should I consider when purchasing home insurance in Victoria?

The right type and level of cover for you may vary substantially depending on where you live in Victoria.

One of the biggest risks facing rural properties in Victoria is bushfire, while some towns on the banks of the mighty Murray River face an increased risk of a flood. If you’re the owner of an apartment in the CBD, you might be more likely to face theft and break-ins or water damage if your upstairs neighbour has plumbing problems and your apartment is flooded.

You’ll need to consider a wide range of factors when deciding on the best home insurance policy for your needs. First, you’ll need to consider whether you want standalone home or contents cover, or whether you want to combine the two and enjoy the benefits of comprehensive cover.

Next, think about your specific cover requirements. How much cover do you need? What risks do you need to protect your property and possessions against? How much would it cost to replace everything you own if it were completely destroyed?

By taking your unique risks into account, you’ll be able to find a policy that matches your needs.

What type of home insurance can I get in Victoria?

There are three home insurance options available to Victorian homeowners:

  • Home insurance. Also known as building insurance, this type of policy protects your physical building from loss or damage caused by fires, storms, impacts, theft and a variety of other risks.
  • Contents insurance. Contents insurance protects your furniture and possessions against loss or damage due to an extensive range of events.
  • Home and contents insurance. Combining all the cover of the two policies listed above, a home and contents insurance policy provides a high level of protection for your building and possessions.

How much does home insurance cost in Victoria?

The cost of home insurance in Victoria varies depending on a number of factors:

  • Where you live. Location can play a big part in determining the total cost of your premium. For example, someone who lives in a flood-prone area may have higher premiums than someone who doesn’t, while a home in an area with high burglary rates will cost more to insure than if it was located in a “safe” area.
  • Your level of cover. The higher the sum insured, the more you will pay for insurance. Adding optional extras to your policy will also increase the cost.
  • Your claims history. If you have few or no previous home insurance claims to your name, you could enjoy lower premiums.
  • Your home. Certain features of your home can also contribute to how much it costs to insure. For example, some roofing materials can withstand a hailstorm better than others, while having a back-to-base security alarm installed will deter thieves and lower premiums.
  • Any discounts that apply. Some insurers reward long-term customers with loyalty discounts, while others offer multi-policy discounts to customers who hold more than one policy.

What insurers can I access in Victoria?

Most home insurance providers are not state specific and provide cover for homes all around Australia. finder.com.au’s panel of home insurers features some of Australia’s leading home insurance providers that offer cover in Victoria:

Are there any exclusions and additional costs I should be aware of in Victoria?

Before you choose a home insurance policy, make sure you’re aware of any general exclusions that apply. The following are some common home insurance exclusions:

  • No cover if your home is used for illegal or criminal activity.
  • No cover if you leave your home for an extended period of time, such as 60 continuous days.
  • No cover if you fail to maintain your home in good condition.
  • No cover for bushfires within 72 hours of cover starting.
  • No cover if you fail to take reasonable steps to secure your home.

Finally, when you do take out home and contents insurance in Victoria, make sure you’re aware that a 10% duty charge will be included in your premium. An additional Fire Services Levy used to apply to all policies, but this was scrapped in July 2013.

* The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms "Cheapest", 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your personal financial circumstances when comparing products.

Get the latest home insurance news

Tim Falk

A writer with a passion for the written word, Tim loves helping Australians compare and find the right products. When he's not chained to a computer, Tim can usually be found exploring the great outdoors.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site