Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

RACV home insurance

Save some cash with RACV home insurance. Get exclusive member savings and multi-policy discounts.

4.1 ★★★★★ (53 reviews) Write a review

Our verdict

  • It's good for the benefits. You can score discounted attraction tickets, special prices on local travel and Woolworths WISH gift cards as an RACV member.
  • Flood cover comes standard on all policies, which is a positive because many other brands will charge extra for it. You can also choose to remove this cover for a lower premium.
  • It doesn't do much in the way of sign-up offers or discounts which we have come to expect from insurers such as Budget Direct, St.George and Westpac.
Sorry! We currently don't have this brand on our panel. But don't fret, you can head to the RACV home insurance website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with Finder.
Compare home insurance fast

Congratulations, RACV!

RACV received the highly commended award for 'Home Insurance - VIC' in the 2023 Customer Satisfaction Awards.

Full list of 2023 winners

What does RACV home insurance cover?

RACV home insurance provides protection to your home for a wide range of events. You can take out cover for buildings only, contents only or combine the 2 policies together to create a package that provides complete peace of mind. RACV also offers landlord insurance and renters insurance.

If you do take out a policy with RACV, you'll also become a member and receive exclusive savings and discounts.

Some main events covered by RACV home insurance include:

RACV home insurance is issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Ltd and offers customers a choice of excess and a cooling-off period of 21 days.

Here's the rundown of an RACV home insurance policy

Check icon

Standard features

These are some of the standard features that you can claim on if an insured event causes damage or loss.
  • Building materials and rebuilding fees
  • Credit card theft
  • Demolishing and removing debris
  • Food spoilage
  • Keys and locks
  • Mortgagee discharge costs
  • Moving into your new home
  • Temporary accommodation

plus icon

Optional add-ons

If you think you'll need a little extra protection over and above the standard features, you can boost your cover by adding on these optional extras to your policy. However, these do cost extra so make sure to review RACV's Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for a full list of what's covered.
  • Accidental damage
  • Burn out of electric motors – fusion
  • Portable items cover
  • Valuable items cover

cross icon


There are certain situations when RACV won't provide cover under your policy. These are referred to as general exclusions and they apply to all the benefits under your policy. Here are a few to be aware of:

  • Actions of the sea including high tides or king tides
  • Corrosion, depreciation, gradual deterioration, rust or wear and tear
  • Plants, trees or shrubs growing in the ground of your property
  • Loose or unset gemstones
  • Mould (unless arising from a listed event)
  • Tree lopping or felling on your site
  • Vermin or insects – such as termite damage
  • War, hostilities or rebellion

Make sure you read RACV's PDS for a more detailed breakdown of exclusions. You can also head to general exclusions for more information.

Here's some information on RACV home insurance complaints

We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.

When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers, so can potentially get more complaints.

Here's an overview of how RACV (Insurance Manufacturers of Australia) did:

  • Insurance Manufacturers of Australia is considered a very large firm which means it's normal to see a relatively large number of complaints. This is the same case with Insurance Australia Limited and AAI Limited, but you can see that Insurance Manufacturers of Australia has a much lower volume of complaints comparatively.
    • While it didn't receive many complaints, only 42.55% were resolved directly with customers.

    This is the bottom line about RACV

    RACV home insurance offers a solid policy that includes cover for flood, up to 12 months temporary accommodation and new for old replacement – not benefits you see with every provider. What it lacks in policy discounts, it makes up for with its member rewards program.

    Still making up your mind? You can check out other home insurance brands and compare them side-by-side so that you end up with a policy you're happy with.

    Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


    We're free

    You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
    expert advice

    We're experts

    We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

    We're independent

    Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

    We're here to help

    Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

    Frequently asked questions

    Leave an RACV home insurance review

    If you've held, or currently hold, an RACV home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if RACV is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MeganAugust 26, 2021

    RACV Home Contents Policy. I read in the PDS that there exists within the policy basic valuables up to $2500 and basic portables up to $10000. Anything in excess of these amounts may be insured for an optional additional premium. Could you please clarify for me ?

      JamesAugust 30, 2021Finder

      Hi Megan,

      That’s correct. RACV offers separate optional cover for some items under ‘Valuable Items Cover’ and ‘Portable Items Cover’ if you want to insure them for more than $10,000 for Portable Items and $2,500 for Valuable Items inside the home.

      If you want to insure any one item for more than the said amounts, you’ll need to list the item and its sum assured. You may be asked by RACV to provide a written valuation for each item.

      Please reach out to RACV directly if you want to increase your level of cover for these categories.

      I hope this helps,


Go to site