Receive home insurance cover for storm, fire, theft and much more with RACV
RACV Home Insurance provides comprehensive protection against storm, flood, fire, theft, vandalism, broken glass and much more. You can take out cover for buildings only or contents only, or combine the two policies together to create a package that provides complete peace of mind.
The benefits of RACV Home Insurance include new for old cover for lost, stolen and damaged items as well as cover for temporary accommodation costs, removal of debris, keys and locks, and credit card theft. Up to $20 million of legal liability cover ensures that you’re protected if someone else suffers property damage or an injury while on your property, and you can take out optional cover for accidental damage and portable values to increase your level of protection.
RACV Home Insurance levels of cover
RACV Home Insurance
- Covers loss or damage caused by storm, flood, rainwater run-off, storm surge, water and oil leaks, tsunami, earthquake, lightning, fire, theft or attempted theft, vandalism or a malicious act, broken glass, impact damage, animal damage, explosion, riots or civil commotion
- Easy 24/7 claims service
- Lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs
- Take out standalone building cover or contents cover, or combine the two for comprehensive protection
- Credit card theft
- Temporary accommodation costs
- New for old cover on lost, stolen or damaged items
- Keys and locks
- Demolition costs and removal of debris
- Range of benefits for landlords
- Up to $20 million in legal liability cover
- Optional accidental damage cover
- Optional portable valuables cover
- Flexible premium payment options
- Your choice of excess
What isn't covered?
Your RACV Home Insurance claim will not be paid if:
- It is caused by rust, corrosion, gradual deterioration, depreciation, or wear and tear
- It is caused by erosion
- It is caused by actions of the sea
- It is caused by tree roots, or by tree lopping or felling at your site
- It is for subsidence or landslide (unless it occurs immediately as a result of earthquake, explosion, storm, flood, rainwater run-off or storm surge)
- It results due to atmospheric conditions or extreme temperature
- It is caused by mould, vermin or insects
- It results due to war or an act of terrorism
- It arises from any intentional act or omission by you, your family, someone who lives in your home, or someone who acts with your consent
- It arises due to your involvement in any illegal activity
- It arises due to the mechanical, structural or electrical failure of an item
- It is for business interruption costs
- It is for consequential financial loss
- It arises due to the settling, shrinkage or expansion in buildings
- It arises due to faulty design or workmanship
- It is caused by previous damage that has not been repaired
- Your home is left unoccupied for 60 consecutive days or more
- You fail to maintain your home in good repair and condition
- You fail to take reasonable care to protect your home or contents against loss or damage
RACV Home Insurance excess
An excess is the amount you are required to contribute towards the cost of a claim. There are three types of excesses that apply to RACV Home Insurance, and depending on the nature of your claim you may need to pay more than one excess.
The excesses are:
- Basic excess. This excess must be paid when you make a claim for a listed event. You can choose one of the following amounts as your basic excess: $100, $200, $300, $500, $750, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000, $5,000. Policyholders 50 years of age and older can also choose a nil excess instead of the $100 option.
- Accidental damage excess. This $300 excess is payable if you have chosen the accidental damage option and you make a claim for accidental damage.
- Special excess. The insurer may choose to apply a special excess for one of the listed events covered by your policy.
Who is eligible for RACV Home Insurance?
RACV Home Insurance is available for domestic residential properties within Australia. There are no other eligibility criteria that need to be met, but you should compare a range of home and contents policies before deciding whether RACV Home Insurance cover is right for you.
Making a claim
There are two ways to lodge a claim on your RACV Home Insurance policy:
- Online. You can submit your claim online via the RACV website.
- Over the phone. You can phone the RACV Claims and Assistance Centre to speak to a consultant.
You’ll need to provide your policy details and information about the event for which you are claiming, and RACV will advise whether you need to pay an excess.
Keep a few simple tips in mind to ensure that your claim is processed as quickly as possible:
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent further loss or damage
- Do not admit any fault or liability
- Report theft, attempted theft, vandalism or any malicious act to the police immediately
- Co-operate fully with RACV; for example you may need to allow an RACV representative to inspect your home or contents
- Provide any information the insurer requests, such as letters, court documents, purchase receipts and police report numbers
Frequently asked questions
I’m an existing RACV member – can I save money off the cost of cover?
Yes, the following discounts are available to RACV members:
- Bronze members: 5% off
- Silver members: 9% off
- Gold members: 15% off
- Gold 50: 25% off
I’m not an RACV member – can I still take out cover?
Yes, you automatically become a member of RACV when you purchase RACV Home Insurance.
Who issues this insurance policy?
RACV Home Insurance is issued by Insurance Manufacturers of Australia Pty Limited.
What options can I add to my policy?
The following options can be included with your policy for an additional cost:
- Accidental damage
- Electric motor burnout (fusion)
- Specified items
- Specified portable valuables
- Unspecified portable valuables
Is there a cooling-off period attached to RACV Home Insurance?
Yes, a 21-day cooling-off period applies. You will receive a full refund of your premium if you decide to cancel your policy within the first 21 days of cover.
Am I covered for flood?
Yes, RACV Home Insurance includes flood cover as standard.
When do I need to pay my premiums?
You can pay your premium annually or in monthly instalments, but there is an additional cost if you choose to pay by the month.