6GB gives you room to breathe for more than just basic web and email, and there are a wide variety of plans to choose from.
A plan with 6GB or more of data means that you’re using data above the national average, although with the rise of streaming services, that’s an average that’s always marching upwards.
If your needs are only light then 6GB of usage is probably overkill, but if you do operate in this space or above, you’ve got some important considerations to keep in mind. Here’s what you should think about:
- Postpaid, prepaid or month-to-month?
You might think that a plan with 6GB or more would have to be a 24-month postpaid plan, and in the past you would have been right. However, with our expanding appetites for data, it’s an offering that’s become much more common in the month-to-month and prepaid spaces as well. If you’re confident you won’t go over quota, a prepaid plan could be a very appealing buy.
- What extras do I want? As you creep up the data levels, your monthly cost increases, but so do the extras that many plans offer you. These extras can be more than a bundled handset, as they can include international calling minutes or additional entertainment subscriptions. The trick is to make sure that the extras you’re getting are ones that you’ll actually use. There’s no point in having unlimited calls to places you never call, or a subscription to a streaming music or video service with nothing that will entertain you on it.
- Will I have enough data to go on? 6GB (or more) gives you a quota, but the average usage is going up year on year. If you sign up for a two-year contract now, is it going to have enough data to satisfy your needs in 12 or 24 months? While excess data tends towards a straight-up $10/GB cost, the price of jumping up a plan tier can often be less, or come with a bigger data jump. Consider your future needs, not just those you have right now, to avoid either paying too many excess fees or being forced to recontract in order to get more data.
- [UPDATED] Australia hit with more widespread Telstra network outages
- Network outages: What are your rights?
- Optus boosts speeds and simplifies NBN plans
- Vodafone’s 4.9G network promises improved speeds, but it’s not quite 5G yet
- Score a massive 45GB of mobile data for just $15 with Catch Connect’s latest deal