Finding the ideal plan when your budget is tight is tricky, but it’s far from impossible.
2GB of data should be enough to satisfy light users who concentrate on simple irregular online tasks, although anyone who’s regularly online or streams media will need more.
2GB of data gives you plenty of scope for incoming email, as long as your attachments are moderate, as well as a slew of mobile web browsing. However, you should really view that 2GB figure as a starting point. Here’s what to consider:
- Control spend with prepaid, or allow extras with postpaid? In data terms, a prepaid plan with 2GB of usage means that you can never spend more than you intend because it’s all paid for upfront. However, some prepaid plans are a little stingy with their data inclusions and some don’t include options for data add-on packs if you do need them. Postpaid plans will allow you the flexibility to go over quota, with most charging a flat $10/GB, but you can end up spending more than you intended to.
- Are calls or texts more important? 2GB isn’t nothing, but it’s not a huge amount of data either. If your mobile needs are more skewed towards calls or texting, it would make a lot of sense to seek out plans with either unlimited standard national calls and texts, or at least a large call quota. If you frequently call internationally, you’ll want to track down a plan with either call inclusions to the countries you call, or at least decent calling rates.
- How much will my data needs grow? 2GB is relatively small in the mobile market in terms of usage, and it’s likely that in 12 or 24 months you’re going to want to use a lot more. Consider that when picking a plan, especially if you opt for a longer-term contract or long expiry prepaid plan.
- Google’s new approach could revolutionise mobile plan pricing
- Score a cheap 12-month SIM-only phone plan with Virgin Mobile’s 20% off deal
- Get 15.5GB of mobile data for just $25 with Vodafone’s latest pre-paid offer
- Vodafone fesses up to “burner phone” prepaid problem
- Android Oreo is now available in Australia for the Nokia 8
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals