Learn how to get the right protection for your car in QLD
You can get your car insured in Queensland in three steps.
- Get Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. Each CTP insurer in Queensland sets their own price and delivers slightly different features. The only way to find the ideal option is to compare all four insurers. You are able to change CTP insurers only when registering a new vehicle, or renewing registration.
- Choose your damage cover. Once you have your CTP insurance, choose the type of car insurance damage cover that suits your needs.
- Compare and buy online. Once you’ve found the right policy, compare it with other options and buy online for more discounts as well as to save time and hassle.
Compare comprehensive policies from Australian brands
What types of car insurance can I get in QLD?
Car insurance can be divided into two parts. The first is mandatory CTP insurance, and the second is liability and damage cover.
What do I need to know about CTP insurance in QLD?
CTP insurance in Queensland operates based on an at-fault scheme. This means that in order to claim full benefits, you will need to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident. It is not enough to prove your own innocence. You can still claim certain medical benefits for serious injuries, regardless of fault.
When you register a vehicle, or renew vehicle registration in Queensland, the cost of CTP insurance is built into it. Prices are strictly regulated and all insurers in Queensland will offer the exact same cover at the exact same price with one main exception:
- Optional at-fault cover. Half of the insurers offer this option, while the other half do not. This costs extra, but means you can access full benefits even without proving that the other party was at fault for an accident. This is the only decision to consider when getting CTP insurance in QLD.
CTP protects you from medical expenses incurred by accidents, but not for any type of property damage. For this, you will need to choose the type of car insurance damage cover that’s right for you by balancing value and protection.
|Third party property||Third party property, fire and theft||Comprehensive|
|Protection for your car||No||Cover for fire damage and theft||Comprehensive protection from many forms of damage|
- Personal liability: Personal liability expenses are incurred by causing damage to other cars or to someone else’s property. This type of insurance covers the cost of damages if you are liable for the accident.
- Protection for your car: Different policies will deliver varying types of protection. A third party fire and theft policy covers you from these two common risks and also includes personal liability cover. Comprehensive car insurance protects you from many different types of damage and also includes personal liability cover.
How much does car insurance cost?
The cost of car insurance in QLD is determined by similar factors found in the rest of Australia. The more likely you are to make a claim, the higher your premiums will be. This can be because your car is more likely to be stolen, you have a history of traffic accidents or a number of other reasons.
- Queensland has cheaper car insurance than elsewhere in Australia, but the prices will still depend on your age and other factors.
Rounded average annual cost of comprehensive car insurance for recent model cars in QLD
|Under 25||25 to 29||30 to 44||45+|
- Stamp duty: Different financial services are taxed at different levels around Australia. In QLD, the stamp duty tax is 9% of your premiums. This does not apply to CTP insurance, but does apply to car damage insurance.
What car insurers can I access in QLD?
The finder.com.au car insurance panel lets you compare options from some of the nation’s top insurers.
Australia Post car insurance is able to blend cover and affordability in flexible policies that can add additional value, such as free trailer cover if you have a comprehensive policy and payment for rental vehicle costs in the event of a theft if you have a third party fire and theft policy.
Australia Post car insurance can help drivers balance cost and cover and is the right option for those who’d like more benefits without needing to pay extra for comprehensive cover.
QBE policies can be tailored with options like excess-free windscreen and glass protection and no-claims bonus protection. All QBE car insurance policies also let you choose your own repairer regardless of the type of cover you have. Comprehensive policies include cover for vehicle tools and personal effects as well as other benefits.
QBE car insurance policies are the best option in the hands of people who want to tailor their insurance for more effect.
Budget Direct does car insurance differently and focuses on keeping costs down by only insuring safer drivers. For the right applicant, Budget Direct may be able to offer lower prices than competitors without compromising cover.
Budget Direct car insurance policies suit safer drivers, those who want more affordable protection or people who don’t necessarily need a range of extras.
Youi can make policy customisation easier in order to lower costs or enjoy a higher level of protection.
With the freedom to opt out of unneeded extras like trailer cover, and include cover for car tools, campervan contents and other additions, Youi car insurance is an attractive choice for people who want to customise their policy for more cost-effectiveness without losing important protection.
Uncomplicated policies and clear discounts, in combination with a high level of customer service across all policies, are some of the strengths of Dodo car insurance. All policies come with features matched to a price range, and you can find a wide variety of cover with comprehensive policies or more competitive pricing with more basic options.
For those who appreciate simplicity and affordability, alongside enough flexibility to make sure your policy is effective, Dodo car insurance is the right option.
Woolworths can sometimes feel like a smaller insurer thanks to features like price matching and a wide range of other discounts. If you’re looking for more ways to save money without compromising the options available, Woolworths car insurance might be the right insurer for you.
Woolworths car insurance delivers competitive prices for those who want to take control of their discounts and manage their policies for more benefits.
Comprehensive car insurance policies offer a lot of different types of cover and highly variable features, which is why Virgin Money has two different options. You don’t need to pass up on a high level of cover if your budget is limited. Instead, you can choose a more basic type of comprehensive policy or a high-level one. As an added bonus, Virgin’s wide range of services can let you access more rewards.
Existing Virgin customers might be interested in the special bonuses on offer, while new customers can benefit from the wide-ranging policy options available.
What should I look for in a car insurance company?
What to look for in a car insurance company depends on your own personal needs, your vehicle and your current financial situation. What’s right for one person isn’t always right for another. It can be helpful to make sure you know what to look for in a car insurance company.
You may want to pay special attention to certain factors if you’re a
- Driver under 25
- Senior over 50
- Driver of a modified car
- Driver of a vintage car
- Commercial vehicle owner
Get started by comparing policies and buying QLD car insurance below.