Whether it’s for your family runabout or your daily commuter, RACQ Car Insurance has the cover you need, with competitive prices, great discounts and 24/7 support across a wide range of products.
RACQ Insurance Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Royal Automobile Club of Queensland and covers over 1.6 million members in Queensland and Northern New South Wales. So whether you need Third Party Property, Third Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive car insurance, Queensland’s largest club may be able to help.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACQ website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.Compare car insurance
More info about RACQ Car Insurance
RACQ Car Insurance provides cover for all kinds of vehicles and all kinds of circumstances, including:
Comprehensive Car Insurance
Comprehensive covers you for a range of benefits including loss or damage to your vehicle, a choice of repairer, personal property, baby capsules and child seats, emergency repairs, damage to your trailer or caravan and towing and storage.
Fire, Theft and Third Party Car Insurance
Motor Fire, Theft and Third Party Liability Insurance covers you for a range of services including fire or theft of your vehicle, emergency repairs, towing and storage, uninsured third party cover and a lifetime guarantee on repairs.
RACQ came in first place in Queensland for Customer Satisfaction in 2023, scoring 4.57/5. 100% of people surveyed said they would recommend it to a friend. It also scored 4.5/5 for customer service, features and benefits and ease of application.
Full list of 2023 winners
General exclusions that apply to RACQ Car Insurance (circumstances in which cover will not be provided) include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failing to remain at the scene of an accident
- Driving unlicensed
- Using the vehicle for testing, demonstration or racing
- Carrying passengers for payment
- Overloading the vehicle
- Driving the vehicle in an unroadworthy or unsafe condition
- Using the vehicle for an illegal purpose
- Transporting dangerous goods
- Carrying or towing nuclear material or waste
- Failing to take reasonable precautions to secure the vehicle
- Failing to try and prevent further loss or damage
- Having the vehicle lawfully repossessed, seized or confiscated
- Acts of war, insurrection, rebellion or military coup
- Nuclear terrorism, pollution or contamination
While RACQ Car Insurance is available at highly competitive rates, as with all car insurance, the actual cost of your premiums will depend of a range of rating criteria. These include:
- The type of car are you're insuring. Some vehicles have better safety records than others, some are more frequently targeted by thieves and some cost more to repair.
- The age of the nominated drivers on your policy. Younger drivers (usually under 25’s) pay more for insurance because statistically they have more accidents.
- Where you park your car. The level of crime in your neighbourhood and whether your vehicle is kept in a locked garage or parked on the street will affect the cost of insurance.
- Whether the car is under finance. The type and amount of finance owing can affect the cost of your premium.
- If the vehicle has had any accessories or modifications. Whether these are likely to attract thieves or reduce the vehicle’s handling or performance can influence premium costs.
- Your driving history. Whether you have a clean record or have been involved in previous accidents can affect your perceived risk level and your premiums.
The excess is the amount you must pay towards the cost of a claim. It will either be a pre-determined amount specified in your policy or an amount agreed upon by you and your insurer at the time of taking out your cover.
RACQ Comprehensive Insurance gives you the option of deciding the level of your basic excess yourself and this can be a good way to reduce the cost of your premiums, providing it is an amount you can afford to pay upfront if you ever need to make a claim.
Additional excesses you may need to pay apart from the basic excess can include an age excess (if the driver is young and inexperienced), a windscreen replacement excess, a non-removable excess (applies to certain types of vehicles) and a listed driver excess (if the driver in the accident was not listed on your policy).
RACQ Car Insurance provides you with a number of ways to reduce the cost of your premium. These include:
- Varying the basic excess on your Comprehensive policy
- A multi-policy discount, if you have other insurance policies with RACQ
- A combined insurance discount, if you combine a range of RACQ Car Insurance policies
- A length of membership discount, if you have been an RACQ member for a certain length of time
- A no claim discount, if you have not made any claims within a certain period of time on your Comprehensive policy
- A security discount, if you have installed security devices such as an alarm and immobiliser in your vehicle
- A driver excellence bonus, if you’ve held a Rating 1 for five years or more
Making a claim with RACQ Car Insurance is fast and hassle-free. Here’s how it works:
- Drop into an RACQ branch or call 13 72 02
- Have your RACQ policy number handy, plus a police report number if applicable and details of the incident including contact details of those involved and any witnesses
- Your claim will then be lodged and you’ll be booked in for an insurance assessment
If the accident happened over 100 kilometres from your home you may also be able to claim through Aussie Assist, which is RACQ’s emergency assistance service. It is available with Comprehensive Car Insurance and some Fleet and Small Business Car Insurance.
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Our team of car insurance experts have researched and rated
dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards
and published 330+ guides to make it easier for you to compare.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.