Why RACQ Car Insurance might be the right provider for you
Deciding whether you need car insurance is easy. All you have to do is ask yourself one question … “If my car is damaged or written off in an accident, can I afford to have it repaired or replaced myself?” If the answer’s no, then you need car insurance.
And whether it’s for your family runabout or your daily commuter, RACQ Car Insurance has the cover you need, with competitive prices, great discounts and 24/7 support across a wide range of products.
RACQ Insurance Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Royal Automobile Club of Queensland and covers over 1.7 million people in Queensland and Northern New South Wales. So whether you need Third Party Property, Third Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive car insurance, Queensland’s largest club has you covered.
RACQ Car Insurance provides cover for all kinds of vehicles and all kinds of circumstances, including:
- Comprehensive – covers your car and damage to other peoples’ property and includes use of a hire car after theft, a choice of repairer, personal property cover, cover for baby capsules and child seats, cover for emergency repairs, damage to your trailer or caravan, replacement of keys and locks, towing and storage after an accident and access to Aussie Assist (emergency assistance).
- Third Party Fire & Theft – covers damage to other peoples’ property and damage to your car from fire or theft and includes cover for emergency repairs, towing and storage after an accident, uninsured third party cover and a lifetime guarantee on repairs.
- Third Party Liability – covers damage to other peoples’ property and includes uninsured third party cover and a no claim discount.
RACQ also provides cover for classic cars, unique cars, motorcycles and fleet and small business vehicles.
RACQ Car Insurance levels of cover
When you take out comprehensive insurance with RACQ Car Insurance, you will receive cover for all of the following:
- New for old car replacement for up to two years if your vehicle is written off.
- Up to $500 for baby capsules and child seats in your vehicle that are damaged or stolen.
- Temporary cover of your new vehicle for 14 days during the process of selling your old vehicle.
- Up to $750 for damage or theft of your box trailer or caravan while attached to your vehicle.
- $7,500 paid to your estate if you are killed in an accident while driving your vehicle.
- Up to $500 in emergency repairs to make the vehicle safe or driveable after an accident.
- 50% of the difference if your vehicle is written off after an accident and the market value is less than the amount you owe in finance.
- Hire car after theft for up to 14 days, or until your vehicle is recovered.
- Up to $500 for damage or theft of personal property from your vehicle after an accident.
- Up to $750 to replace and recode keys and locks stolen from your vehicle.
- The cost of towing your vehicle from an accident scene and associated storage costs.
- Up to $20 million third party liability cover.
You can also choose to add optional benefits to your policy including:
- No claim discount protection – protects your Rating 1 in the event of an at-fault claim.
- Excess-free windscreen claim – entitles you to one excess-free windscreen claim during the period of your insurance.
- Hire car after an insured event - up to 14 days for $40 a day after an insured event.
|Features||Comprehensive||Fire Theft and Third Party||Third Party|
|24hr Queensland call centres||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Choice of market||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Driver excellence bonus||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Pay by the Month||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|RACQ Insurance Selected Repairer network||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Rating 1 for life||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|State-wide assessment services||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Benefits||Comprehensive||Fire Theft and Third Party||Third Party|
|Baby capsules and child seats||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Change of vehicle||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Choice of repairer||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Cover against natural disasters and weather events||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Cover for any damage to your vehicle (accidents, malicious damage etc)||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Cover for damage to other people's property||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Cover for fire and theft||Yes||Yes||N/A|
|Damage to your box trailer or caravan||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Hire car after theft||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Lifetime guarantee of repairs*^||Yes||Yes*^||N/A|
|Loss or damage caused by uninsured third party||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Replacement of vehicle after total loss||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Theft of vehicle keys||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Towing and storage costs*^||Yes||Yes*^||Yes|
|Options||Comprehensive||Fire Theft and Third Party||Third Party|
|Excess free windscreen||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Hire car after an event||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|No claim discount protection||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Discounts||Comprehensive||Fire, Theft and Third Party||Third Party|
|Car alarm discount||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|Combined insurance discount||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Driver excellence bonus||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|No claim discount||Yes||N/A||N/A|
|RACQ member loyalty discount||Yes||Yes||Yes|
* Caused by Fire and Theft
^ As a result of a claim under Uninsured Third Party insurance
General exclusions which apply to RACQ Car Insurance (circumstances in which cover will not be provided) include:Back to top
While RACQ Car Insurance is available at highly competitive rates, as with all car insurance, the actual cost of your premiums will depend of a range of rating criteria. These include:
- What type of car are you insuring? Some vehicles have better safety records than others, some are more frequently targeted by thieves and some cost more to repair.
- How old are the nominated drivers on your policy? Younger drivers (usually under 25’s) pay more for insurance because statistically they have more accidents.
- Where do you park your car? The level of crime in your neighbourhood and whether your vehicle is kept in a locked garage or parked on the street will affect the cost of insurance.
- Is there any money owing on your car? The type and amount of finance owing can affect the cost of your premium.
- Does your vehicle have any accessories or modifications? Whether these are likely to attract thieves or reduce the vehicle’s handling or performance can influence premium costs.
- How is your driving history? Whether you have a clean record or have been involved in previous accidents can affect your perceived risk level and your premiums.
The excess is the amount you must pay towards the cost of a claim. It will either be a pre-determined amount specified in your policy or an amount agreed upon by you and your insurer at the time of taking out your cover.
RACQ Comprehensive Insurance gives you the option of deciding the level of your basic excess yourself and this can be a good way to reduce the cost of your premiums, providing it is an amount you can afford to pay upfront if you ever need to make a claim.
Additional excesses you may need to pay apart from the basic excess can include an age excess (if the driver is young and inexperienced), a windscreen replacement excess, a non-removable excess (applies to certain types of vehicles) and a listed driver excess (if the driver in the accident was not listed on your policy).Back to top
RACQ Car Insurance provides you with a number of ways to reduce the cost of your premium. These include:
- Varying the basic excess on your Comprehensive policy
- A multi-policy discount, if you have other insurance policies with RACQ
- A combined insurance discount, if you combine a range of RACQ Car Insurance policies
- A length of membership discount, if you have been an RACQ member for a certain length of time
- A no claim discount, if you have not made any claims within a certain period of time
- A security discount, if you have installed security devices such as an alarm and immobiliser in your vehicle.
- A driver excellence bonus, if you’ve held a Rating 1 for five years or more.
Making a claim with RACQ Car Insurance is fast and hassle-free. Here’s how it works:
- Drop into an RACQ branch or call 13 72 02.
- Have your RACQ policy number handy, plus a police report number if applicable and details of the incident, including contact details of those involved and any witnesses.
- Your claim will then be lodged and you’ll be booked in for an insurance assessment.
If the accident happened over 100 kilometres from your home, you may also be able to claim through Aussie Assist, which is RACQ’s emergency assistance service. It is available with Comprehensive Car Insurance, Unique Car Insurance and some Fleet and Small Business Car Insurance.Back to top
Q. Where does RACQ insure customers?
- A. Everywhere within the state of Queensland, plus some areas of Northern New South Wales.
Q. Do under 25s have to pay more?
- A. As a younger driver you are statistically at greater risk of having an accident, so you must pay an additional excess to cover that risk.
Q. What is the difference between CTP and other kinds of car insurance?
- A. CTP is compulsory insurance that covers death or injury to other people, including pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers.
Q. What is the difference between market and agreed value?
- A. Market value is how much your vehicle is worth on the open market and agreed value is how much you and your insurer agree will be paid to you if your vehicle is written off.
Q. How is my premium calculated?
- A. Your premium is based on a number of factors including your age, driving history and the value of your car.
Q. What kind of insurance does RACQ offer?
- A. RACQ provide cover for a range of losses or damage to your property including motor and household insurance.
Ready to compare car insurance?
If you live in Queensland or Northern NSW, there are real advantages to belonging to Queensland’s largest club. RACQ has the car insurance you need, with comprehensive cover, competitive premiums, optional benefits and great discounts. And with access to Aussie Assist, you and your family can feel secure in the knowledge you’re in good hands wherever you travel.