Enjoy higher reward earn rates, travel perks and other exclusive benefits with a Westpac Black Rewards credit card.
While the Earth Platinum Plus and Westpac Earth Black cards are no longer available, cardholders can still take advantage of the Altitude Black credit card. A dual card with both Mastercard and American Express capabilities, the Altitude Black credit card has higher earn rates, up to 50,000 bonus points, a low promotional rate on both purchases and balance transfers and complimentary travel insurance.
Changes to Westpac credit cards
The Westpac Altitude Platinum Plus, Earth Platinum Plus and Westpac Earth Black have been replaced by the Westpac Altitude Black. The Altitude Black gives you the option of earning Altitude Points or Qantas Points. You can switch between the programs anytime you like.
Comparing the features, fees and benefits of Westpac Black credit cards
Fees, rates and charges
- Annual fee. This premium, dual credit card account has an annual fee of $395. If you're an existing Westpac customer, you can take advantage of a $0 annual fee for the first year if you apply before 30th January 2017.
- Interest rate. Pay 20.24% p.a. on purchases and 20.74% p.a. on cash advance transactions. Interest is calculated daily and charged monthly.
- Cash advances. If you use your card for cash advance transactions such as ATM withdrawals, you'll incur a cash advance interest rate of and a fee of of the transaction amount.
- Interest-free days. Westpac offer up to 45 days interest-free on purchases if you consistently pay your account in full by the statement due date.
- Late payment fee. You'll be required to make a minimum repayment of , each statement period. If you don't, you'll be charged a late payment fee of .
- Foreign transaction fee. Westpac also charges a currency conversion fee of 3% for the MasterCard and 3.5% for the American Express when you shop overseas.
- Rewards program. The Altitude Black is Westpac’s top-tier rewards product and lets you choose between Altitude or Qantas Rewards. Redeem your Qantas Points for flights and services, or a wide range of non-flight rewards in the Altitude Store. You can also transfer your Altitude Points to five different frequent flyer programs if Qantas is not your preferred airline.
- No points cap. There is no limit to the number of points you can earn with this account and you'll earn them at the following rate.
Earn rate MasterCard American Express Altitude Rewards
1.25 per $1 (Australia), 3 per $1 (overseas)
Additional: Up to 3 bonus points
3 per $1 (Australia), 3 per $1 (overseas)
Additional: Up to 3 bonus points
0.625 per $1Additional: Up to 1 bonus point 1.5 per $1
Additional: Up to 1 bonus point
- Bonus partners. Altitude Rewards bonus partners include Best Western, Cellarmasters and Hoyts. You can also use your Westpac Black account to purchase Qantas products and services to get 1 bonus Qantas Point per dollar spent if you’ve opted into the Qantas Program.
- Complimentary travel insurance. Spend $500 of your prepaid travel costs on the Westpac Black MasterCard or Black American Express and you’ll be covered by QBE’s Westpac Black complimentary international travel insurance for up to 6 months. Your family are also covered if their prepaid travel costs are charged to the Westpac Black account and they are travelling with you for the length of your trip.
The primary cardholder (you) and spouse and dependent children receive different levels of cover. However, QBE provides unlimited cover for some benefits, including hospital and medical, funeral expenses and unexpected cancellation of travel arrangements. Loss and damage to personal property is covered up to $20,000 per person. See our guide on Westpac credit card complimentary travel insurance for more information.
- Concierge service. The Westpac concierge service is a 24/7 complimentary benefit extended to Westpac Black cardholders. A Westpac concierge can help you with tasks such as arranging tickets for shows, recommendations and reservations for hotels or restaurants and travel arrangements from anywhere in the world. You can also manage all your requests through the Westpac concierge smartphone application, available for iOS devices.
- Complimentary airport lounge access. If you sign up for Qantas Rewards on this card, you can get two complimentary passes to the Qantas Lounge when you use the Westpac Black account to purchase Qantas products and services. For example, using your Westpac Black American Express to buy a Qantas flight from Sydney to Los Angeles would net you two Qantas Lounge invitations, complimentary travel insurance and Qantas Points at the bonus rate.
If you’re an Altitude Rewards member, enrol in Priority Pass when you get your card to get access to more than 700 lounges across 120 countries. Guests can join you for a $27 fee.
- Additional cardholder. You can request an additional cardholder for your account at no extra charge. The additional cardholder must be over the age of 16.
- No liability for unauthorised transactions. Westpac and Mastercard give you a money back guarantee if you’re the victim of credit card fraud.
Why you should and shouldn’t get a Westpac Black Credit card
- Insurance. This card has a comprehensive insurance package including travel, transit accident, purchase security and extended warranty cover.
- Points. This account has a high earn rate for overseas purchases and offers bonus points when shopping with reward partners. You'll also have the flexibility of earning your choice of Qantas Points and Westpac Altitude Rewards.
- Lounge passes. While a few cards offer platinum perks such as complimentary insurance and rewards, lounge passes are a little rarer, allowing you to wait in style for your next flight.
- Fees. This card has a high annual fee of $395 and a high standard interest rate of Make sure that these costs are outweighed by the benefits of the card to enjoy its full value.
- Qantas earn rate. There are some platinum credit cards that have a higher Qantas Points earn rate for a lower annual fee.
How to apply for a Westpac Black Credit Card
You can apply for the Westpac Black securely, online and in under 15 minutes by clicking the “Go to site” button. As well as providing your personal and contact information, you’re required to verify your identity with Westpac and upload proof of income to complete the application.
If you’re like to add an additional cardholder to the account, make sure you have their personal and contact information available when you apply.
- Age. You must be 18 years of age or older to apply for the Westpac Black account.
- Residency. You must be a permanent Australian resident.
- Minimum income. Westpac have a recommended minimum income of $75,000 for this credit card.
- Identification. As a new customer, you can verify your identity with Westpac online using your driver’s licence, passport or Medicare card.
- Financials. As well as providing information about your assets and liabilities, you’ll need to verify your income. You can do this by attaching copies of recent payslips and bank statements.If you’re self-employed, you will need to provide tax returns from the past two years.
While Westpac may have narrowed down its Black card options, the Westpac Altitude Black card still offers a lot by the way of premium features and rewards. As it's not the only black card on the market, though, make sure you compare your options before applying.
Frequently asked questions
Which transactions won’t earn points?
The following transactions do not accrue Altitude or Qantas Points.
- Government charges (excluding GST)
- Interest and bank charges
- BPAY payments
- ATO payments (MasterCard only)
- Cash advances
Do I earn points paying my tax bill?
You can use the Westpac Altitude Black American Express card to make payments to the ATO and you will be rewarded with Altitude or Qantas Points.
- 0.75 Qantas Points per dollar spent using the Altitude Black American Express
- 1 Altitude Point per dollar spent using the Altitude Black American Express
Is there a cap on the number of points I can earn?
There is no cap on the number of Altitude or Qantas Points you can earn using the Westpac Altitude Black credit cards.
Where can I find a list of bonus partners?
You can find a list of Altitude Rewards Bonus partners on the Altitude Rewards website. Bonus partners include popular hotels and merchants.
Can I use Altitude Points for flights?
Yes, you can redeem your Altitude Points for travel vouchers or you can transfer your Altitude Points to frequent flyer points in a number of leading frequent flyer programs.
- Air New Zealand Airpoints
- Cathay Pacific AsiaMiles