Does travel insurance cover strikes?
In short, yes, but different travel insurance brands may cover strikes in a different way. Read on to find out how.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the pandemic. Some information may not be accurate at this time. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please note:
- Some policies may not be available through Finder at this time
- It’s unlikely that your policy will cover expenses from border closures
You can be covered by travel insurance if your flight is delayed or cancelled due to a strike, but cover will depend on when you purchased your travel insurance. If you bought your policy after an industrial strike becomes a 'known event', it's unlikely that your insurer will cover you for associated costs. Here is an example of how a PDS explains a known event;
This is one of the reasons why getting travel insurance earlier rather than later is a good idea.
How do Finder travel insurance partners deal with strikes?
|Brand||Conditions for travel insurance for strikes||Apply|
|InsureandGo will pay claims as follows:||Get quote|
|Tick Travel Insurance will pay claims as follows:|
What does cancellation insurance normally cover?
If your trip is affected by a strike, you'll most likely need to claim your expenses under the cancellation and amendment benefits if you're eligible. Cancellation and amendment benefits cover a number of events and situations that result in you having to cancel, reschedule or amend your holiday plans depending on whether or not your policy covers cancellation. Below are some common questions we get asked:
When am I covered?
- Am I covered if my flight is cancelled? Yes, generally if your flight is cancelled due to an insured event such as a strike, your policy will provide you with cover.
- Am I covered if my flight is delayed? Generally your flight will need to be delayed more than six (6) hours if you are going to be eligible to make a claim.
- What happens if my passport is stolen overseas? If your passport or other travel documents are stolen, your policy will generally cover the cost of replacing them. You will need to provide your insurer with supporting evidence such as a police report.
- Am I covered if have an accident on the way to the airport? Yes, generally you will be covered if you have an accident means you're unable to make a prebooked flight. You will need to provide your evidence of the accident.
- What happens to my prepaid accommodation expenses if my trip is cancelled? If an insured event such as adverse weather conditions results in you having to cancel your prepaid accommodation, your policy should reimburse you up to the policy limit.
- What happens if I get injured overseas? If during your trip you are forced to cut your trip short due to an illness or injury, your policy will provide you with a benefit for any prepaid expenses you will not be using up to the policy limit.
- If I paid with my frequent flyer points and have to cancel my trip, will my insurer cover me? Yes, your travel insurer will generally reimburse you for your lost frequent flyer points as long as you are not able to recover your loss via any other means.
When might I be covered?
- I'm too sick to travel, is that covered? It will depend on when you took out your policy. If you are unable to travel due to a pre-existing condition that you knew about prior to taking out your policy, you will not have cover.
- Am I covered if I have to cancel my trip due to a death in the family? Depending on your policy you will have cover for your return trip to Australia and for any unused portions of your journey. However, there are various conditions that apply including whether or not the death was the result of a pre-existing condition and the age of the deceased.
When won't I be covered?
- Am I covered if my flight is cancelled for any other reason than strike or weather? No, this is a common misconception about cancellation cover. It is up to the airline to reimburse your losses for the actual missed flight.
- My employer cancelled my leave and I have to cancel my trip, am I covered? No, you will not have cover in this situation.
- I was late to the airport and missed my flight, am I covered? No, if you didn't leave enough time to get to the airport your insurer won't pay out your claim. This also goes for the flow on affect if you incur roll-on affects such as missed accommodation due to your missed flight.
- I've changed my mind and I don't want to go any more, can I make a claim? Unfortunately, the only type of policy that would cover you in the event is "cancellation for any reason" travel insurance, which is not offered in Australia.
More guides on Finder
Best weekend deals from eBay for Black Friday: Games, tech, more
Deal alert: Get up to 76% off at eBay Australia this Saturday with the latest and greatest Black Friday weekend deals.
Best weekend deals from Amazon for Black Friday: Games, tech, homewares
We've handpicked the 50 best Black Friday weekend deals available from Amazon, including games, home appliances, electronics and gadgets.
How to watch Teófimo López vs George Kambosos boxing world title fight live
The WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and The Ring lightweight titles go on the line this weekend. Can Australia's George Kambosos take them all?
How to watch Liverpool vs Southampton Premier League live and match preview
Southampton have produced a solid month, but they'll need to be at their best when they travel to Liverpool on Sunday.
[Saturday deals] Black Friday air fryer sales: Up to 85% off
Save up to 85% off select air fryers and multi-cookers on Black Friday from Amazon, eBay and Catch and more.
How to watch Arsenal vs Newcastle Premier League live and match preview
The Premier League's only winless team is Newcastle and they travel to Arsenal in desperate need of points.
How to watch Sydney FC vs Macarthur FC A-League live and match preview
One of the youngest of the Sydney derbies will write another chapter this week when Sydney FC host Macarthur FC.
Black Friday TV weekend deals: Up to $3,000 off smart TVs [Updated]
The best Black Friday 2021 discounts include over $1,000 off 75-inch and 85-inch smart TVs from Samsung and Hisense.
Where to watch Alanis Morissette documentary Jagged online in Australia
Watch Alanis Morissette re-examine her rise in the music business.
How to watch Melbourne Victory vs Brisbane Roar A-League live and match preview
Melbourne Victory look like they might be on the improve as they host a skilful Brisbane Roar.
Ask an Expert