Does travel insurance cover strikes?
In short, yes, but different travel insurance brands may cover strikes in a different way. Read on to find out how.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
You can be covered by travel insurance if your flight is delayed or cancelled due to a strike, but cover will depend on when you purchased your travel insurance. If you bought your policy after an industrial strike becomes a 'known event', it's unlikely that your insurer will cover you for associated costs. Here is an example of how a PDS explains a known event;
This is one of the reasons why getting travel insurance earlier rather than later is a good idea.
How do Finder travel insurance partners deal with strikes?
|Brand||Conditions for travel insurance for strikes||Apply|
|Budget Direct will pay claims as follows:|
|InsureandGo will pay claims as follows:||Get quote|
|Tick Travel Insurance will pay claims as follows:|
What does cancellation insurance normally cover?
If your trip is affected by a strike, you'll most likely need to claim your expenses under the cancellation and amendment benefits if you're eligible. Cancellation and amendment benefits cover a number of events and situations that result in you having to cancel, reschedule or amend your holiday plans depending on whether or not your policy covers cancellation. Below are some common questions we get asked:
When am I covered?
- Am I covered if my flight is cancelled? Yes, generally if your flight is cancelled due to an insured event such as a strike, your policy will provide you with cover.
- Am I covered if my flight is delayed? Generally your flight will need to be delayed more than six (6) hours if you are going to be eligible to make a claim.
- What happens if my passport is stolen overseas? If your passport or other travel documents are stolen, your policy will generally cover the cost of replacing them. You will need to provide your insurer with supporting evidence such as a police report.
- Am I covered if have an accident on the way to the airport? Yes, generally you will be covered if you have an accident means you're unable to make a prebooked flight. You will need to provide your evidence of the accident.
- What happens to my prepaid accommodation expenses if my trip is cancelled? If an insured event such as adverse weather conditions results in you having to cancel your prepaid accommodation, your policy should reimburse you up to the policy limit.
- What happens if I get injured overseas? If during your trip you are forced to cut your trip short due to an illness or injury, your policy will provide you with a benefit for any prepaid expenses you will not be using up to the policy limit.
- If I paid with my frequent flyer points and have to cancel my trip, will my insurer cover me? Yes, your travel insurer will generally reimburse you for your lost frequent flyer points as long as you are not able to recover your loss via any other means.
When might I be covered?
- I'm too sick to travel, is that covered? It will depend on when you took out your policy. If you are unable to travel due to a pre-existing condition that you knew about prior to taking out your policy, you will not have cover.
- Am I covered if I have to cancel my trip due to a death in the family? Depending on your policy you will have cover for your return trip to Australia and for any unused portions of your journey. However, there are various conditions that apply including whether or not the death was the result of a pre-existing condition and the age of the deceased.
When won't I be covered?
- Am I covered if my flight is cancelled for any other reason than strike or weather? No, this is a common misconception about cancellation cover. It is up to the airline to reimburse your losses for the actual missed flight.
- My employer cancelled my leave and I have to cancel my trip, am I covered? No, you will not have cover in this situation.
- I was late to the airport and missed my flight, am I covered? No, if you didn't leave enough time to get to the airport your insurer won't pay out your claim. This also goes for the flow on affect if you incur roll-on affects such as missed accommodation due to your missed flight.
- I've changed my mind and I don't want to go any more, can I make a claim? Unfortunately, the only type of policy that would cover you in the event is "cancellation for any reason" travel insurance, which is not offered in Australia.
More guides on Finder
Introducing the Finder app
The Finder app is a powerful savings tool that tracks your money and finds you new ways to save. Download today.
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Amazon Prime Day top beauty buys: 40% off FOREO, GHD, L’Oreal
From makeup to skincare to haircare, these are the hot beauty offers we're expecting to see this Prime Day.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen will square off in what's being called Termination Day.
eBay kitchen EOFY sale: 75% off with these discount codes
Score up to 75% off cookwares and kitchen appliances when you add these 'hidden' discount codes during the eBay EFOY sale.
Why did the Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) share price drop?
Shares in the beverage maker had lifted nearly 15% since February.
Amazon Prime Day: Top hacks for Australians in the 2021 sales
From when to shop to how to split the cost of your purchase, we’ve got you covered this Prime Day.
How to invest in the Charger Metals IPO
Everything we know about the Charger Metals IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Editor’s Picks from the Nasty Gal x We The Wild Ones new edit
Ultimate cool gals Lucy and Nikki just dropped the rock n roll edit of our dreams and here's how you can get 60% off at the checkout.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Amazon Prime Day early-bird deals, 25% off Lenovo Chromebooks, Bose audio clearance.
Ask an Expert