Amplify Rewards Program
Amplify Rewards offers points for your spending with a St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA credit card. Here's how the program works and what these points are worth.
Amplify Rewards is a credit card loyalty program offered by St.George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA. It gives you a way to earn points per $1 on eligible spending, with rewards including gift cards, frequent flyer points, travel and retail items.
How to earn Amplify Rewards Points
Earning points is simple. You need to get an Amplify Rewards Platinum or Signature credit card from St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA, and then you'll earn points for every $1 you spend on eligible purchases.
Points are automatically added to your Amplify Rewards account. And unlike some credit card rewards programs, there is no cap and no expiry. If you don't already have an Amplify Rewards credit card, you can compare them by earn rates, bonus points, costs and other features.
Introductory bonus point offers
If you don't have an Amplify Rewards credit card, you could boost your points balance by applying for one with a bonus points offer. These offers vary and don't run all year, but in some cases you could get 100,000 bonus points (or more) by meeting a spend requirement – so be sure to look at what bonus points are on offer when you're ready to apply.
To give you an idea of the points potential, here are some examples for St.George Amplify credit cards.
|Credit card||Earn rate||Sign-up bonus offer||Annual points bonus|
|St.George Amplify Platinum Credit Card||1 point per $1||100,000 bonus points when you apply by 30 April 2024 and spend $3,000 in the first 90 days.||N/A|
|St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card||1.5 points per $1||150,000 bonus points when you apply by 30 April 2024 and spend $12,000 on eligible purchases in the first 12 months.||10% of points earned in last 12 months on your birthday|
What are "eligible purchases"?
Most of your everyday spending with an Amplify Rewards credit card will earn points and count towards a bonus point spending requirement. This includes shopping at the supermarket or other retail stores, dining out or food delivery and paying for petrol.
Spending that doesn't earn points includes ATM cash advances, cash equivalent transactions, gambling transactions, government spending, BPAY and refunds. The Amplify Rewards terms and conditions have a full list if you want to check these details before using your card.
What rewards can you redeem?
Rewards are how you get value from the points you earn. With Amplify Rewards, there are 6 categories for you to choose from when you want to redeem your points:
- Frequent flyer point transfers. You can transfer points to Velocity Frequent Flyer and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, with a transfer rate of 2:1 and a minimum transfer of 3,000 points for both airline loyalty programs.
- Merchandise. Coffee machines, toasters, wireless headphones and wine are some of the retail items you could redeem with points.
- Gift cards. Amplify Rewards offers physical and digital gift cards for major brands like Ampol, Bunnings, JB Hi-Fi, Woolworths and Westfield.
- Travel. You can redeem points for flights, hotels, car hire and experiences directly through Amplify Rewards.
- Annual fee rebate. If you want to save on your account costs, you can redeem points to cover the annual fee on your card.
- Donations. Points can also be used to support charities, with details shown when you log in to your account.
How much are Amplify Points worth?
Amplify Rewards points don't have a set dollar value. This is because the amount of points you need and the value of different rewards varies and you need to log in to your account to see all the details.
But you can get an estimate with Finder's points to dollars calculator.
As another example, when we checked the St.George Amplify Rewards website in June 2023, you could redeem an Apple Watch Series 6 40mm in the merchandise category for 134,225 points. Based on a retail price of $499, each point would be worth $0.0037 or 3.7 cents.
How to redeem your points
You can redeem your points online, through the mobile banking app or over the phone using these steps.
- Log on to your account through internet banking
- Select your Rewards credit card
- Go to the Account Details page
- Click on Redeem Points
- Follow the prompts
- Log on to the mobile banking app
- Select your Rewards credit card
- Go to Services
- Click on Redeem Points
- Follow the prompts
- St.George Amplify Rewards: 1300 489 586
- Bank of Melbourne Amplify Rewards: 1300 600 266
- BankSA Amplify Rewards: 1300 490 641
What to think about before getting an Amplify Rewards credit card
- Earn rates. Each credit card offers a different number of points per $1 on eligible spending. But the cards with higher earn rates also have higher annual fees.
- Annual fees. These annual fees are typically higher than those offered by more basic credit cards in Australia, so it's important to weigh this cost against the value you'll get from points.
- Other features. Complimentary travel insurance, airport lounge access and introductory offers can all add to the value of a card. But they're only worth it if you can make use of them.
- Spending and repayments. Ask yourself if you'll be able to earn enough points to justify the costs. You should also consider the potential interest charges if you don't pay off the total balance by each statement's due date as this cost can quickly outweigh the value of rewards.
- Type of points and rewards. If you want to use points for travel, a credit card that directly earns Qantas Points or Velocity Points could offer more value. But if you're a member of Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, you'll typically find similar transfer rates with other rewards programs as no credit cards in Australia offer a direct earn rate for KrisFlyer Miles.
How does Amplify Rewards compare to other credit card reward programs?
The earn rates and frequent flyer point transfer values offered through Amplify Rewards are both similar to those offered by other credit card reward programs in Australia.
The fact that it doesn't publicly show all the reward values is also similar to rewards programs from major banks Westpac and CommBank. But in comparison, the rewards programs offered by ANZ, NAB, American Express and Citi all offer more details (although both Amex and Citi recommend logging in for accurate details). So when you're comparing rewards credit cards, you can consider these details along with the rates, fees and other card features to find one you want.
Compare credit cards with Amplify Rewards
Frequently asked questions
- St.George Amplify Rewards website (accessed 27 June 2023)
- Velocity Frequent Flyer BankSA partner details (accessed 27 June 2023)
- Velocity Bank of Melbourne partner details (accessed 27 June 2023)
- Velocity St.George partner details (accessed 27 June 2023)
- KrisFlyer financial service partners details (accessed 27 June 2023)
More guides on Finder
Credit card churning in Australia
Well-known among frequent flyers and point chasers, this controversial strategy involves taking advantage of bonus point offers on different credit cards.
How to pay the ATO by credit card and earn points
Find out which credit cards offer points for payments to the ATO and how much the rewards are really worth.
Guide to Latitude Infinity Rewards
Reward your spending and redeem gift cards, merchandise and experiences with the Latitude Infinity Visa credit card.
MYER one rewards program
Get rewarded with shopping credits and a $20 Reward Card when you regularly spend at Myer stores and at any participating affiliate partners.
Coles Flybuys vs Everyday Rewards comparison
Compare Coles Flybuys or Everyday Rewards to find out which one can offer you more rewards on your grocery shop.
Myer Credit Card
The Myer Credit Card earns MYER one Credits on eligible spending and interest-free offers at Myer, but it's not currently available for new applications.
How to earn reward points via PayPal
Link your credit card to your PayPal account and you could earn points while shopping online with buyer protection.
Credit Card Points Calculator
Credit card rewards and other loyalty programs have the potential to offer you extra value for your spending – here’s how to work out if you are getting it.
Flybuys credit cards
Use your credit card to earn up to 3 Flybuys points per $1 spent on everyday expenses and redeem a variety of flight and shopping rewards.
Ask an Expert