Low cash advance rate credit cards
Want to get cash with a credit card? Compare cards that offer competitive cash advance rates and fees.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
You can also learn more about how cash advances work, how much they cost and the alternatives you can use.
We also explain how cash advance transactions work and list the potential costs and alternatives to credit card cash advances so that you can choose the right option for your situation.
What is a cash advance?
A cash advance is a type of credit card transaction that allows you to get cash or an equivalent to cash, such as foreign currency. This means you can basically spend the money however you want and that can lead to higher risks for lenders. So you usually have to pay a higher interest rate for cash advance transactions, as well as a cash advance fee. In addition to getting cash out with your credit card, other transactions that may be considered cash advances include balance transfers, buying foreign currency, gift card or prepaid card purchases and top-ups, and gambling transactions. Read our guide on cash advance transactions for more details.
How do low cash advance rate credit cards work?
While most credit cards have high cash advance interest rates, ranging from 19.99% p.a. up to 21.99% p.a., some cards offer more competitive rates for cash advance transactions. A low cash advance interest rate generally ranges between 8.99% p.a. and 16% p.a.
This type of card could be useful if you need access to extra funds but can't use your credit card to make a payment. For example, if you're overseas or shopping somewhere that only accepts cash (and you can’t use a debit card). Note that even if you get a card with a low interest rate, you'll still have to pay a cash advance fee for these transactions. Cash advances also won't be eligible for any interest-free days your card may offer for standard purchases, which means interest will be charged from the time the transaction is made until it's paid off in full.
Compare credit cards with competitive cash advance rates
With cash advances typically being the most expensive transactions you can make with a credit card, it’s ideal to avoid them as much as possible. But if you think you’ll use this option and want to keep costs to a minimum, here’s a range of cards with competitive rates and fees.
|Credit card||Cash advance rate||Cash advance fee||Purchase rate||Annual fee|
|Bank Australia Low Rate Visa||9.39% p.a.||$3.50||9.39% p.a.||$59|
|Bank Australia Visa||12.39% p.a.||$3.50||12.39% p.a.||$0|
|Community First Low Rate Credit Card||8.99% p.a.||$5||8.99% p.a.||$40|
|Horizon Bank Visa||12.95% p.a.||$3||12.95% p.a.||$0|
|ME Frank||11.99% p.a.||2% of transaction amount or $4 (whichever is greater)||11.99% p.a.||$0|
|Newcastle Permanent Value+ Credit Card||11.99% p.a.||Greater of 2% or $2.50 per transaction||11.99% p.a.||$49|
|Qudos Bank Lifestyle||12.34% p.a.||Between $1 and $2 for ATM withdrawals, US$175 for emergency cash advances overseas. Other fees may also apply.||12.34% p.a.||$0|
|Qudos Bank Lifestyle Plus||15.85% p.a.||Between $1 and $2 for ATM withdrawals, US$175 for emergency cash advances overseas. Other fees may also apply.||15.85% p.a.||$0|
What else should I keep in mind?
If you’re thinking of getting a credit card and using it for cash advances, make sure you also consider the following factors:
- Cash advance fee. This fee is charged every time you make a cash advance transaction. It’s usually presented as the greater of a fixed dollar amount or percentage. For example, $3 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
- Purchase rate. Remember that the standard variable cash advance rate may not be the same as the purchase rate, so it's important to look at both.
- Annual fee. Credit card annual fees can range from $20 to $400 or more. When considering this cost, weigh up the features of the card and consider whether the benefits will offset the annual fee, so that you can choose a product that's affordable for you.
- ATM fees. Some credit cards charge a separate fee when you withdraw money from an ATM. Fees from ATM operators may also apply – especially if you're getting cash out with your credit card overseas.
- International transaction fee. Most credit cards charge a fee of 2-4% for transactions made in a foreign currency. If you plan on using a low cash advance rate credit card for transactions overseas or online (such as foreign ATM withdrawals or Internet gambling), make sure you also consider this fee and how it could affect the overall cost of a cash advance.
- Overseas fees for cash advances. Note that international transaction fees can also apply when you use your card to make purchases through international websites. Some credit cards also apply different cash advance fees for domestic and international transactions.
- Reward points. If you get a credit card that offers reward or frequent flyer points for your spending, keep in mind that cash advance transactions on credit cards aren’t usually eligible to earn points.
- Introductory offers. Some credit cards offer sign-up bonuses and introductory 0% interest rates for purchases or balance transfers. These offers can add short-term value to the card you choose, but it's important to note that the benefits usually don't apply to cash advance transactions. Always read the terms and conditions to make sure you'll be able to take advantage of this type of offer based on the way you plan to use your card.
Can I get a cash advance without a credit card?If you need cash and don’t want to use your credit card, another option is to look at short-term loans, including online cash advances. This gives you a way to get a cash advance (or loan) even if you don’t have a credit card. Just remember to consider the rates, fees and repayments to decide if this option will suit your financial situation. Low cash advance rate credit cards can give you a way to get money quickly but the rates and fees may still lead to more debt in the long run. So remember to consider your options carefully and, if you need help, consider free support services that could help you manage your financial situation.
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about low cash advance rate credit cards? Here you’ll find answers to the most common questions we get. You can also get in touch to find out more using the comment box below.
More guides on Finder
Coles No Annual Fee Mastercard – Exclusive Offer
Enjoy 10,000 bonus points and 12 months interest-free on balance transfers and purchases. Plus, an ongoing $0 annual fee.
Finder’s RBA Cash Rate Survey: 60% of experts blame BNPL for drop in credit cards
Credit cards are being used less and experts say Buy Now Pay Later services such as Afterpay and Zip are to blame, according to new research from Finder. In this month's Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey™, 39 experts and economists weighed in on future cash rate moves and other issues related to the state of the Australian economy.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
7-Eleven Fuel Pass
Save on fuel at 7-Eleven with this fuel card you can use across the WEX Motorpass network.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Plastic profanities: The 8 credit card sins to avoid
Credit card misuse is rife in Australia, according to new research by Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
The American Express Business Card
The American Express Business Card offers reliable service, a wide range of benefits, additional features, and competitive fees.
Ask an Expert