Get the Finder app 🥳

Connect your accounts & save

Apartment Insurance

Apartment insurance could give you $20,000 worth of protection, for as little as $25 a month.


Fact checked
Couple unpacking boxes

Apartment insurance is great for anyone who wants to insure the belongings in their home, but not the building. You can even add cover for fixtures and fittings, so more permanent features like kitchen countertops, air conditioning units, and solar power systems are also protected.

Compare apartment contents insurance in a few clicks

Name Product Theft Storm Flood Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Outdoor Contents Electrical Motor Burnout
Budget Direct Contents Insurance
Yes - $1,000
Get 15% off your first year's premium when you purchase cover online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Contents Insurance
Yes - $2,500
Get cover for your contents, including theft, storm and flood.
Virgin Contents Only
Yes - $1,000
Grab a $100 e-Gift card when you purchase a new eligible Virgin Contents only insurance policy by 30 September 2020. You’ll also save up to 15%. T&C's Apply.
St. George Contents Insurance
15% off for your first year. Promo code: COVER
Westpac Contents Insurance
15% off for your first year. Promo code: COVER
Real Top Contents Insurance
Yes - $2,000
Optional - $2,000
Save up to 10% when you purchase cover online.
Coles Contents Insurance
10% of the contents sum insured
Optional - $2,000
Buy online and save 10%. Collect double flybuys points at Coles Supermarkets. T&Cs apply.
Kogan Top Contents Insurance
Optional - $2,000
Save up to 10% when you buy online.
ANZ Contents Insurance

Compare up to 4 providers

What does apartment contents insurance cover?

Here are some of the main things in your apartment that contents insurance can help protect.

Old desk with laptop

Your personal valuables

Includes damage or theft to your laptop, TV, designer clothes, jewellery and more.

Bathroom with modern sink

Permanent fixtures

Covers additions to your apartment like bathroom vanities, stovetops and air conditioners.

Spoiled wine in living room

Accidental damage

Cover for mishaps like spilled wine, a smashed TV screen or a burst water pipe.

How much is apartment insurance? Compare quotes for contents insurance.

Here are some quotes on contents insurance so you can get an idea on pricing depending on the value of your belongings. You can also get a direct quote to match your needs.

BrandMonthlyYearlyGet quote
Budget Direct Logo$38$381Get quote
Picture not described$39$385Get quote
Westpac logo$29 $343 Get Quote
St. George logo$29 $348 Get Quote
Picture not described$25$273Get quote
Picture not described$42$415More info
Coles car insurance$27 $228 Get quote
GIO Logo$44$475More info
ING logo$39$385More info
Picture not described$34$334More info
BrandMonthlyYearlyGet quote
Budget Direct Logo$40$401Get quote
Picture not described$41$405Get quote
Westpac logo$33$400Get Quote
Coles car insurance$34$313Get quote
NRMA logo$43 $470 More info
St. George logo$34$406Get Quote
Picture not described$25$268Get quote
Picture not described$53$522More info
GIO Logo$53$572More info
ING logo$41$405More info
Picture not described$44$435More info

Do I need home insurance for my apartment?

Legally, you're not required to have insurance for your apartment. However, it's a good idea to take out a policy if you have any expensive items that you'd like to protect.

I'm a tenant.
Lots of renters could benefit from contents insurance. If your home is burgled or a water pipe bursts and ruins your things, contents insurance can help you foot the bill.

I'm an owner-occupier.
Your apartment building is likely covered by strata, but you may want to add fixtures and fittings cover, as well as contents insurance. That way, you'll be covered for things like a damaged air-conditioner, as well as your belongings.

I'm a landlord.
If you're renting your apartment out, you should look at landlord insurance.

Ready to compare apartment insurance?

Compare brands side-by-side to make sure you get the right cover for your apartment. Get a new policy or switch your existing policy to save money.

Compare now

Why is contents insurance important if you live in an apartment?

Contents insurance is important for anyone who has items in their home which would be expensive to replace. It doesn't matter whether you live in a studio apartment or a three-story townhouse, contents insurance is worth considering. It can protect everything from your TV and audio equipment, to expensive jewellery and designer clothing.

How to reduce the cost of apartment insurance?

There are many ways to reduce the cost of home insurance, like increasing your excess and taking advantage of discounts. If you live in an apartment, there are a few extra things to consider when trying to save.

  • If your building has security. How secure is your apartment building? Are there gated stairwells? Can guests only gain access to the complex or to the lifts with a key or a card, or can anyone just wander in off the street at any time? The more secure your apartment is, the smaller the risk of theft or burglary and the more affordable your premiums will be.
  • If doors lock automatically. Doors that lock automatically when shut are another simple measure that can greatly increase the security of a building and make it harder for uninvited strangers to get in.
  • If you're on a higher floor. As a general rule, the higher up your apartment is, the less likely you are to be broken into. This can help lower your apartment contents insurance premium.
  • If you don't have a balcony. Burglars gaining access to apartments through unlocked balcony doors is a lot more common than you might think, so apartments without balconies generally tend to be cheaper to insure.

What can I do to protect my apartment?

Insurance will only help cover you for accidents and the unexpected. It won't help if the damage is caused by your own neglect. Here are some tips to help prevent damage and loss to your apartment.


Regular maintenance of the apartment will help you identify areas of wear and tear before they cause problems.


Increasing security with security doors and surveillance cameras can help deter thefts.

Screw driver

Hiring professional handymen to help with more technical jobs can save you time and stress.

Compare apartment insurance now

Frequently asked questions

Picture: GettyImages
Icons made by Those Icons, Good Ware from

Picture: GettyImages

Read more:

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site