Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

TV insurance

There are multiple ways to insure your beloved but fragile TV and make sure you'll be covered if various kinds of trouble strike.

What you need to know

  • TVs are getting bigger. Which makes them even easier to hit with cricket balls.
  • If you have a kid, dog or Pat Cummins related accident, your TV can be included in contents cover.
  • Just get accidental damage covered on your policy. Also stop having Pat Cummins over.

What is TV insurance?

TV insurance is a type of insurance that covers the cost of damage, loss or repair to your TV if something bad happened. You can get cover for your TV as part of your home insurance which will cover it for things like theft and damage from fire and flood.

You can also add on extra cover for accidental damage in most policies which can come in handy if your TV is your pride and joy.

How do I insure my TV

The standard features of most home and home and contents policies include insurance for your TV, up to a certain value, against various insured events, including theft but not including accidental damage.

Whether you want additional protection for your TV will likely depend on how valuable it is in dollar terms and whether you see accidental damage cover as a must-have.

The key research step is to check out the upper limits that a home and/or contents policy pays for contents. If the value of your TV is higher than the relevant limit, you can look into adding specified (or valuables) contents insurance, which will let you increase the sum insured.

Note that if you don't take out specified contents coverage on a high-value TV, the maximum amount the insurer will pay out will be the one in the general contents policy.

There's also the option of taking out single item insurance on your TV and other valuables.

Choose a home insurance policy to cover your TV

Some insurers may treat the breakage of glass/ TV screens separately. Double check your product disclosure statement to make sure you understand when you're covered and when you're not.

Name Product TVs Home Contents Cover Accidental Glass Breakage Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Online Discount
Budget Direct Contents Insurance
Our verdict: The most popular insurer on Finder, Budget Direct prioritises low-cost cover and gives you 15% off your first year. You need to pay extra for flood cover and accidental damage.
Youi Contents Insurance
Best Rated Brand
Youi Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Finder’s 2022 Insurer of the Year for Customer Satisfaction and our Top Pick for Fire Damage cover. It’s good if you want a tailored quote over the phone.
QBE Contents Insurance
Our verdict: It covers essentials such as fire and theft plus comes with some good perks such as security upgrades after a burglary and up to 10% off your first year.
Honey Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Honey gives you $250 smart sensors to reduce accidents and estimates the value of your contents. It was also a finalist for the comprehensive category in the Finder Awards.
Australia Post Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Covers common claims such as fire, storms and water damage. Like most contents policies, you need to pay extra for accidental damage cover.
Kogan Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Good comprehensive cover (issued by QBE). Also, get a 6% discount off your first year plus $10 ongoing monthly credit. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points with every Qantas Home Insurance policy you take out by 22 April. T&Cs and exclusions apply.
Westpac Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Provided by Allianz, one of the biggest insurers in Australia. Cover for fire, theft, storm, cyclones and more.

Why should I cover my TV with home insurance?

  • An obvious point: the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged or lost TV can be significant without insurance.
  • Expensive TVs, which can be sold on easily, can be a high-priority target for home burglars.
  • As TVs have gotten slimmer and lighter they've also become more fragile, meaning a slight bump can quickly turn into a full-blown disaster. (No one likes watching a cracked or fully "spider-webbed" screen.)

What does it cover?

For TVs, the insured events covered by most home and/or contents policies include water damage, damage from fire or floods, lightning and storm damage, vandalism and theft, plus a host of other scenarios.

This means that if you came home to find a mysteriously missing 50-inch plasma, or if a branch fell and damaged your rooftop antenna in a storm, you could be covered.

TV insurance and accidental damage

As long as they weren't deliberate or obviously foreseeable and preventable, most TV-related accidents will generally fall under the umbrella of "accidental damage".

In other words, if an overexcited dog, a distracted child or vice versa were to knock over and scratch or crack your TV, you'd be okay. But if that TV was leaning unsupported in front of an open third-storey window, you may not be.

For most home insurance policies, accidental damage isn't a standard inclusion. Not to worry though, you just add it to your policy during the application process. If you already have a policy, give your insurer a call and see if they can add it on. Of course, it will cost a bit extra.

What doesn't it cover?

  • While some premium policies include coverage for accidental damage to TVs as a standard feature, basic home and contents policies generally won't. They will offer accidental damage cover as an optional add-on, though.
  • Given the breakability of modern TVs, plus insurer statistics showing that accidental damage is among the types of insurance claims that Australians lodge most commonly, it's recommended that you consider adding accidental damage cover to your home and/or contents policy if you value your TV highly.
  • Unless you tend to carry your TV with you when you leave the house, there's no need to worry about portable contents insurance.

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site