BMW X7 car insurance
Things you need to know about insuring a BMW X7 SUV
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Average BMW X7 car insurance costs
The costs to insure a BMW X7 xDrive30d are quite reasonable. The average cost for this model was $1,739.65. One insurer viewed the model as outside of their underwriting criteria. However, due to the high-value and performance of the BMW M50i, we were unable to get quotes from mainstream car insurers.
The precise amount you pay for your car insurance varies depending on many factors.
Want to insure a high-value, luxury SUV like the BMW X7? Especially for the M50i model, you'll likely need to get a quote from a specialist prestige car insurance broker.
We used the following details to calculate average BMW X7 car insurance costs:
- 2020 BMW X7
- 15,000 kilometres annual distance
- Five-years accident-free
- Driver in Sydney
- Car parked in a secure garage overnight and a secure car park during the day
- Rating one, 40-year-old male driver
- Solid white paint
- No modifications
- No insurance add-ons or extras
- Insurer's standard excess
- Private or commuting use (five days a week)
- No outstanding finance on car
- Driver's sole vehicle
- Driver is a homeowner
- Age-restricted to 40 years or older drivers
How do car insurers calculate the cost of BMW X7 cover?
In Australia, the BMW X7 range starts from a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $133,900. That's for a BMW X7 xDrive30d with a 3.0-litre, six-cylinder diesel. For the 4.4-litre, V8 M50i model, the MSRP starts at $179,900.
Car insurance prices for the BMW X7 vary depending on multiple factors. Things like your driving record, the place you park your X7 during the day and overnight, your annual kilometres driven plus the specific model and value of your BMW X7 SUV all affect your premiums.
Under the surface, car insurers are risk analysers. They run calculations across their database of past claims, allowing them to determine the risk you pose to them. Then, they price the insurance policy accordingly.
About the BMW X7
The BMW X7 is the larger, but younger sibling, of the BMW X5 luxury SUV.
The seven-seater X7 first became available to order in 2018. BMW calls it a "Sports Activity Vehicle" or SAV. The vehicle rolls on the same architecture as the BMW X5. A variant of the platform is found under the new Toyota Supra.
At over 5 metres in length, 2 metres in width and standing 1.8 metres tall, it's the largest BMW X model.
As you'd expect from a six-figure, high-end luxury SUV, the standard specification is expansive. Standard fitments include the following:
- Adaptive 2-axle air suspension with 40mm height adjustment
- Hill descent control
- xDrive all-wheel-drive system
- Active protection
- Driving assistant professional
- LED headlights
- Power-folding side mirrors
- 20-inch V-spoke alloys
- Active air stream front grille
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Vernasca leather upholstery
- Powered, split tailgate
- Four-zone automatic air-conditioning
- Acoustic glazing
- Power seat adjustment for driver and second row
- Keyless entry
- Velour floor mats
- Sports leather steering wheel
- Lumbar support and seat heating for front occupants
- Automatic soft-closing door function
- BMW Live Cockpit professional (12.3-inch display for driver and 12.3-inch infotainment screen)
- Multiple USB plugs
- DAB radio
- 205w, 10 loudspeaker sound system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Wireless phone charging
It's an incredibly extensive specification, with the M model having additional options that are mainly performance-related. The M50i also has five-zone climate control, comfort seats, Merino leather upholstery, a 494W 16-speaker sound system and a heated/chilled cup holder.
The BMW X7
Many details affect your BMW X7 car insurance premium:
- The X7's model year. Newer models are supported by the factory with spares through their dealer network. For older models, it might be harder for a repairer to source replacements.
- Trim and spec. Higher spec X7s have more expensive materials, additional tech and more gadgets that increase the price and complexity of repair work.
- The BMW's paintwork. Custom order pearlescent and metallic paint costs thousands of dollars sometimes and requires experienced painters to complete seamless accident repairs.
- Insurance coverage. Coverage level varies in price, from the most to least costly they are: comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, and third party cover.
- Annual kilometres driven. The more kilometres you put on the clock, the more time you're on public roads and the more time you spend facing the risk of having a crash.
- Factory-fitted options, safety and security systems. If you pay for BMW optional packages on your X7, this will likely raise the cost for your insurance. Active driver assists like autonomous emergency braking may lessen the severity of car accidents or mitigate them altogether.
- X7 parking location. If you lock your BMW X7 in a garage overnight, in a postcode with a low crime rate, it should be cheaper than parking the SUV on the roadside outside your home.
- Age of driver. Younger drivers tend to pay more for their car insurance.
- The driver's record. Rating one drivers have gone five years without making a car insurance claim and have accumulated the maximum no claims discount.
- Marital status. Car insurers may view someone who is married as posing a lower risk.
- Gender of driver. Past accident data suggests males are more likely to file a claim for serious road injuries – in NSW, at least.
- X7 usage. If you use your BMW X7 for work or business trips, your insurance could be higher.
- Modifications and packages. Packages adding to the specification of your BMW X7 add complexity and costs to repairs and this will reflect in your car insurance cost as will performance upgrades.
- Market value or agreed value policy. For a car like the BMW X7, market-value cover, where the insurer pays out a price they determine the vehicle is worth at the time, rather than a pre-agreed amount, should translate to cheaper insurance.
- Theft risk. If the BMW X7 starts becoming a target of car thieves, then the cost to insure one will rise accordingly.
The exact amount you'll pay to insure a BMW X7 depends on dozens of variables, including your address and driving record. Make sure you always get several car insurance quotes so that you can find the best value deal that matches your situation.
BMW X7 insurance quotes
We requested car insurance quotes for the BMW X7 models below. The M50i, likely due to its larger engine, value and increased performance, was not insurable by the more mass-market car insurers.
|Model||Insurer 1||Insurer 2||Insurer 3||Insurer 4|
|BMW X7 xDrive30d G07||$1,580.52|
|Could not quote||$1,612.15|
|BMW X7 M50i||Could not quote||Could not quote||Could not quote||Could not quote|
Random BMW facts
- BMW's headquarters in Munich, Germany, are designed to look like an engine's four-cylinders. The nearby cylindrical BMW museum building has a large BMW logo on the roof and is sometimes referred to as the salad bowl.
- It is often thought the BMW logo represents a stylistic propeller. In reality, the black ring comes from a previous company that became part of BMW. The blue and white checkmark colours come from the State of Bavaria's coat of arms. The misconception it's a spinning propeller likely originated with an advert published in the late 1920s showing the logo placed on the front of aeroplanes in place of a prop.
- BMW signed an agreement with Lamborghini to engineer a mid-engined sports car with assistance from the Italian manufacturer. After Lamborghini had to withdraw from the deal, BMW turned the car into the M1. Partially-assembled cars were still delivered to BMW from Italy, where a specialist contractor finished off the build by hand – just 453 were produced.
- BMW's first-ever electric was actually the Elektro-Antrieb (German for electric drive), based on the classic 1602 model. It was built for PR duties at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games. Its range is an unconfirmed 19 miles.
- As a tribute to the brand's aviation past, BMW teamed up with Singapore Airlines in 2012 to design a new first-class cabin for their planes.
How safe is the BMW X7?
The Australasian New Car Assessment Program has yet to crash-test the BMW X7. We could not find any safety ratings from any of its global partners either.
However, the BMW X7, as the company's flagship SUV, does have a long list of safety assists.
- Brake pad wear indicator
- BMW active protection
- Attentiveness assistant
- Eight airbags
- Dynamic braking lights
- Dynamic stability control (DSC), anti-lock braking system (ABS) and dynamic traction control (DTC)
- Run-flat safety tyres
- Emergency spare wheel
- BMW head-up display
- BMW Driving Assistant Professional
- Active cruise control (with stop and go)
- Cross traffic warning (front and rear)
- Steering and lane control assistant
- Lane keeping assistant (with side collision warning)
- Lane change assistant
- Crossroads warning
- Evasion aid and speed limit info
- Automatic speed limit assist
- Parking assistant plus (with active park distance control rear, reversing assistant, surround view, panoramic view and 3D view)
- Adaptive LED headlights with high-beam assist
- Anti-dazzle side mirror function and rear-view mirror
- BMW ConnectedDrive with Intelligent Emergency Call
More guides on Finder
5 MASSIVE Apple Cyber Monday deals for Australians
We've found the best deals on all things Apple, including iPhones, AirPods, iPads and Apple Watches for Cyber Monday 2021.
Cyber Monday air fryer sales: Up to 85% off
Save up to 85% on select air fryers and multi-cookers during the Cyber Monday sale on Amazon, eBay, Catch and more.
The best Cyber Monday tech deals in Australia
Cyber Monday has landed, which means its time to get a deal on some fancy tech, from phones and headphones to laptops and cameras.
Cyber Monday TV sale: Up to $3,000 off smart TVs [Updated]
The best Cyber Monday 2021 discounts include over $1,000 off 75-inch and 85-inch smart TVs from Samsung and Hisense.
How to watch Chelsea vs Man United Premier League live and match preview
It has been a tumultuous week for Manchester United and now they face the Premier League leaders Chelsea.
Best weekend deals from eBay for Black Friday: Games, tech, more
Deal alert: Get up to 76% off at eBay Australia this Saturday with the latest and greatest Black Friday weekend deals.
Best weekend deals from Amazon for Black Friday: Games, tech, homewares
We've handpicked the 50 best Black Friday weekend deals available from Amazon, including games, home appliances, electronics and gadgets.
How to watch Teófimo López vs George Kambosos boxing world title fight live
The WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and The Ring lightweight titles go on the line this weekend. Can Australia's George Kambosos take them all?
How to watch Liverpool vs Southampton Premier League live and match preview
Southampton have produced a solid month, but they'll need to be at their best when they travel to Liverpool on Sunday.
How to watch Arsenal vs Newcastle Premier League live and match preview
The Premier League's only winless team is Newcastle and they travel to Arsenal in desperate need of points.
Ask an Expert