The Amex Centurion Card
Made of titanium and offering no pre-set spending limit, this famous Amex black card is so exclusive you can only get it by invitation.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The American Express Centurion Card is one of the most prestigious and exclusive cards in the world. This charge card offers valuable travel and lifestyle perks, as well as generous rewards for your spending. The black card is made of anodised titanium and is only available by invitation from American Express. Use this guide to learn more about the features of the Amex Centurion card and compare other American Express products.
What are the features and benefits of the Amex Centurion Card?
While American Express does not offer public details of this invitation-only card, some of the rumoured benefits you could look forward to include:
- Credit limit. This card doesn't have a pre-set credit or spending limit. As a charge card, you're required to pay the balance in full each month.
- Personal or business use. The card can be used for personal as well as business use. You can also request additional cards for family members or employees.
- Rewards points. The Amex Centurion offers Membership Rewards points per $1 on eligible spending. While there is no publicly listed earn rate, the American Express Platinum Card is often used as a point of reference and offers 2.25 points per $1 on eligible purchases and 1 point per $1 spent with government bodies.
- Titanium card. One of the most iconic features of the Centurion Card is that it is made of titanium. However, you can also be issued with a plastic version that's compatible with contactless and mobile payment services.
- Travel benefits. Some of the travel benefits you could enjoy with this card include complimentary flights, a dedicated travel-booking service, airport chauffeur service, Priority Pass membership, Virgin Lounge and Qantas Club Lounge benefits and cruise company credits. You can also access the Centurion airport lounges in Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Hong Kong, New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle and San Francisco with the card.
- Hotel perks. As well as a complimentary hotel stay and upgrades at many locations, exclusive privileges and hotel reward program benefits are available with partners including Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest and InterContinental Hotels.
- Complimentary insurance. The Amex Centurion offers a suite of complimentary insurance covers including international travel insurance, purchase protection, refund protection and extended warranty cover.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can save time at the cash register and pay with the convenience of your smartphone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
How much does the Amex Centurion cost?
In Australia, the card charges a $5,000 annual fee with a one-off establishment fee of $5,000.
This means you'd pay $10,000 in the first year and $5,000 per year after that. Other American Express cards annual fees ranging from $0 to $1,450. As it's a charge card, it doesn't charge interest but you're required to pay your balance in full each month.
How can I get an Amex Centurion Card?
As an invitation-only card, there are no specific eligibility criteria available for the Amex Centurion Card. But if your aim is to get this card, there are a few details that could help you get an invitation:
- Build a relationship with Amex. American Express only sends out a limited number of Centurion invitations to its existing customers. So you can work towards getting this card by using other premium American Express products.
- Pay off your account regularly and on time. If you want an Amex Centurion invitation, you'll also need to show that you can afford to use it by making account repayments regularly.
- Make use of your current extras. The Amex Centurion is reported to have an extensive suite of complimentary extras and benefits that cater to premium card members. So using the perks available on your current card could help show American Express that you are the type of person who appreciates and benefits from these features.
- Meet the financial requirements. Although there are no official financial requirements listed for this card, it's clear that the Amex Centurion is designed for big spenders and earners. It's been said that cardholders required a five-figure monthly spending bill per month to get this card.
Compare other American Express credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
The American Express Centurion Card has become a status symbol for the elite. Informally called the “Amex black card”, this card has held a high position among ultra-premium cards since its launch. But if you don't get an invite for a Centurion card, you can still compare the wide range of American Express credit cards and charge cards to find one that suits your current needs.
Frequently asked questions
I haven't been invited to get an Amex Centurion Card, what else can I consider?
One of the ways to build a good history with American Express is start with American Express Platinum card which you can apply for directly and does not need any personal invitation. The minimum income requirement for the platinum card is $100,000 and the annual fee is $1,450. You can see our review of the American Express Platinum Charge Card for more details about the fees and features of the card.
How long would I need to use the American Express Platinum card before getting an invitation to the Amex Centurion?
There is no set time, nor is there any guarantee that all the platinum cardholders will be invited. However, if you can keep a monthly spend limit of over $10,000 per month and regularly pay the balance, you may be able to increase your chances of getting an invitation. It may also be worth letting the Amex representatives you deal with know that getting a Centurion card is one of your ambitions.
What is the one-time fee?
This fee is charged at the time of your account opening. In Australia, this fee is $5,000 which was increased from $4,300 on July 11, 2012. Besides this fee the cardholders will also be charged an annual fee of $5,000.
How many people are offered this card every year?
Being an exclusive card, there is very little information available. However, according to estimates there are less than 10,000 cardholders in Australia.
Images: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Ask an Expert