The American Express Centurion Card
With no pre-set spending limits and a titanium card, discover the exclusive features you can expect from the American Express Centurion card.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
The American Express Centurion Card is one of the most prestigious and exclusive cards in the world. This black charge card has no set spending limit, a suite of travel and lifestyle perks and rewards for your spending. The black card is made of anodised titanium and is only available by invitation from American Express. Use this guide to learn more about the features of the American Express Centurion card and compare other American Express products.
What are the features and benefits of the American Express Centurion Card?
While American Express does not offer public details of this invitation-only card, some of the rumoured benefits you could look forward to include:
- Credit limit. This card doesn't have a pre-set credit or spending limit. As a charge card, you're required to pay the balance in full each month.
- Personal or business use. The card can be used for personal as well as business use. You can also request additional cards for family members or employees.
- Titanium card. One of the most iconic features of the Centurion Card is that it is made of titanium. However, you can also be issued with a plastic version that's compatible with contactless and mobile payment services.
- Travel benefits. Some of the travel benefits you could enjoy with this card include complimentary flights, a dedicated travel-booking service, airport chauffeur service, Priority Pass membership, Virgin Lounge and Qantas Club Lounge benefits and cruise company credits. You can also access the Centurion airport lounges in Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Hong Kong, New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle and San Francisco with the card.
- Hotel perks. As well as a complimentary hotel stay and upgrades at many locations, exclusive privileges and hotel reward program benefits are available with partners including Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest and InterContinental Hotels.
- Complimentary insurance. The American Express Centurion offers a suite of complimentary insurance covers including international travel insurance, purchase protection, refund protection and extended warranty cover.
- Mobile contactless payments. Whether you have an Android, Apple or Samsung device, you can save time at the cash register and pay with the convenience of your smartphone with Google Pay, Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
How much does the American Express Centurion cost?
Within Australia, the card charges a $5,000 annual fee with a one-off establishment fee of $5,000.
This means you'd pay $10,000 in the first year and $5,000 per year after that. Other American Express cards annual fees ranging from $0 to $1,200. As it's a charge card, it doesn't charge interest but you're required to pay your balance in full each month.
How can I get an American Express Centurion Card?
As an invitation-only card, there are no specific eligibility criteria available for the American Express Centurion Card. But if your aim is to get this card, there are a few details that could help you get an invitation:
- Build a relationship with Amex. American Express only sends out a limited number of Centurion invitations to its existing customers. So you can work towards getting this card by using other premium American Express products.
- Pay off your account regularly and on time. If you want an Amex Centurion invitation, you'll also need to show that you can afford to use it by making account repayments regularly.
- Make use of your current extras. The American Express Centurion is reported to have an extensive suite of complimentary extras and benefits that cater to premium card members. So using the perks available on your current card could help show American Express that you are the type of person who appreciates and benefits from these features.
- Meet the financial requirements. Although there are no official financial requirements listed for this card, it's clear that the Amex Centurion is designed for big spenders and earners. It's been said that cardholders required a five-figure monthly spending bill per month to get this card.
Compare other American Express credit cards
The American Express Centurion Card has become a status symbol for the elite. Informally called the “black card”, this card has held a high position among ultra-premium cards since its launch. But if you don't get an invite for a Centurion card, you can still compare the wide range of American Express credit cards and charge cards to find one that suits your current needs.
Frequently asked questions
Images: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Bicycles Online review
We take a closer look at the features and services of this online bicycle and bicycle accessories retailer.
Best Tablets in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of computer tablets to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Citi Rewards Card – Exclusive Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this exclusive Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Best iPhone 11 Cases in Australia
These are the 6 best iPhone 11 cases you can buy in Australia right now.
Best flip phones in Australia
These are the 7 best flip phones you can buy right now in Australia.
Not on the cards: 1 in 5 Australians pay with their phone or watch regularly
Cash is dying and cards are next, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Sennheiser promo codes October 2020: Up to 40% off outlet sale
Grab a promo code and cut costs on superior audio solutions online at Sennheiser.
Rejected out of hand: 1.5 million Aussies knocked back for a credit card
The fear of getting rejected for a credit card is real, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.