Visa Platinum benefits
From more rewards to exclusive offers when you travel, shop or dine, find out what perks you can get with a Visa Platinum card.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
While all Visa credit cards include features such as global acceptance and support for lost or stolen cards, Visa Platinum cards offer you even more premium perks and benefits. Depending on the provider, a Visa Platinum option could give you access to more points per $1 spent, pre-sale ticket offers or even hotel upgrades (among other things).
But platinum credit cards usually have higher annual fees than classic or basic cards, which means the costs can sometimes outweigh the potential benefits. So if you're wondering just what the difference is between a regular Visa card and a Visa Platinum card, here you'll find details of the premium perks that are available with platinum options – as well as what to think about when you're comparing different cards.
What benefits, rewards and privileges can I get with a Visa Platinum credit card?
Credit card providers choose which perks come with their platinum credit cards, typically selecting a range of benefits through their own networks and Visa. With that in mind, here are some of the exclusive Visa Platinum benefits you could enjoy:
- 24/7 concierge services. Access the Visa Concierge Service with a phone call or email at any time of day (or night) and they will take care of booking that restaurant, flight or concert ticket for you. A credit card concierge can also help with other requests, such as planning events, buying flowers for someone or sourcing other gifts and items on your must-have list.
- Visa Offers + Perks. Previously, Visa has listed different benefits under separate websites and names, but now lists all current offers on the Visa Offers + Perks page. The options vary depending on factors such as when you're looking, where you are and the type of Visa card you have, but typically include:
- Pre-sale tickets. Get access to exclusive ticket offers for music tours, festivals, live shows and more. To give you an idea of different options, Visa has a partnership with Ticketek Australia and also offered pre-sale options for Splendour in the Grass in both 2018 and 2019. (Note: These options used to be offered under the names Visa Front Line Access and Visa Entertainment, so you may still see references to those names).
- Lifestyle offers. Visa Platinum cards provide you with access to a variety of exclusive global discounts and offers, ranging from luxury spa retreats to romantic seaside adventures.
- Travel services. Access special offers and discounts for hotels and travel experiences worldwide.
- Visa Luxury Hotel Collection. Use your Australian-issued Visa Platinum card to book accommodation through www.visaluxuryhotels.com and get access to exclusive benefits including a best-rate guarantee. Other perks vary by hotel and availability but could include complimentary room upgrades, complimentary Wi-Fi in your room and food or beverage credit.
- Global Customer Assistance. Whether you’re at home or out trotting the globe, Global Customer Assistance provides 24/7 support in case you lose your card and need a card replacement or emergency cash.
- Other Visa features. As with any Visa credit card, a platinum product will also include features such as worldwide acceptance, Zero Liability Policy in case of fraud and payWave for the ease of cashless payments.
Tip: Save time by asking the concierge for help
If you're looking for a particular type of offer or perk and don't have time to search for it on Visa's website, it's worth asking the concierge for help. Below are details of the relevant numbers to call:
- Visa concierge (Australia): 1800 639 607
- ANZ: 1300 580 765 (personal cards) or 1800 233 688 and Option 3 (business cards)
- NAB Platinum: 1300 730 213 and Option 3 (personal cards) or 1300 496 080 and Option 3 (commercial)
- Westpac: 1300 791 188 (BusinessChoice Rewards Platinum)
You can also visit the Visa website for a full list of concierge contact numbers in Australia and overseas.
Other platinum credit card perks
As well as perks available directly through Visa, credit card providers may offer you a mix of the following premium perks:
- More rewards potential. A platinum rewards or frequent flyer credit card will typically offer you either a higher rate of points per $1 spent or a higher points cap compared to standard cards. This could help you earn more rewards, particularly if you spend a lot on your credit card.
- Airport lounge access. Some platinum Visa credit cards offer complimentary airport lounge invitations or global lounge access through Qantas, Virgin Australia or a lounge partner such as Priority Pass or Véloce.
- Complimentary travel insurance. This can range from comprehensive cover for overseas trips to interstate flight or hotel cover, transit accident insurance and even car rental excess insurance.
- Complimentary purchase insurance. This could include purchase protection insurance against loss, theft or accidental damage, as well as extended warranty cover or a price guarantee on eligible purchases.
What else do I need to think about when looking at Visa Platinum credit cards?
The benefits, rewards and privileges you can get with a Visa Platinum card are only really worth it if they offer you more value than what you pay for the card. This makes it important to choose a card that will fit with your goals and spending patterns. So, the other features you'll need to compare include:
- Rewards. If you're looking at rewards cards, think about what type of points you'll earn and the ways you can redeem them to decide whether you'll get value out of the program.
- Interest rates. Platinum cards generally charge higher interest rates than regular cards. So, if you don't pay off your balance by the due date on each statement, these costs could quickly add up.
- Annual fee. This is also usually higher among premium cards, which means the perks will only be worth it if you think you will realistically use them every 12 months.
- Credit limit. Platinum cards may have offer higher minimum credit limits than standard cards. So ask yourself whether a higher limit would be useful, or whether it could tempt you to overspend.
- Eligibility criteria. A platinum credit card may require a higher minimum income than regular cards, although not all providers lists these details as part of the application requirements.
While Visa Platinum credit cards can offer a little extra luxury, it’s important to also consider the potential costs they can attract. As with all cards, make sure you thoroughly research and compare your options before deciding if a Visa Platinum card will fit with your goals.
Compare Visa Platinum credit cards
Image: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
HSBC Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
Exclusive to Finder, this card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
American Express Platinum Business Card
From Membership Rewards Points to savings on first and business class flights, this charge card is packed with features to help you manage business spending.
Kogan Money Black Card – Exclusive Offer
Pay 0% interest on balance transfers and get a $50 Kogan.com Credit with a new Kogan Money Black Card.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Credit Card – Existing Customer Offer
Earn Altitude rewards with Westpac’s Altitude Platinum credit card, while enjoying the benefits and privileges of platinum status.
Ask an Expert