The Visa Platinum credit card: What perks can you get?
As well as classic Visa credit card features such as global acceptance, Zero Liability protection and lost/stolen card reporting, Visa Platinum offers a taste of the high life with premium perks and benefits. But these credit cards also tend to have higher annual fees that could offset the benefits, rewards and privileges of the card, depending on your usage and spending habits.
Here we look at the perks that are available through Visa Platinum to help you weigh up the relevant costs and benefits before choosing a credit card.
What benefits, rewards and privileges can I get with a Visa Platinum credit card?
Credit card providers have the ability to choose the perks that come with their platinum credit cards, so the Visa Platinum benefits vary from card to card. Here are some of the exclusive benefits you could enjoy:
- 24/7 concierge services. Access the Visa Premium Concierge Service with a phone call or email at any time of day (or night) and they will take care of booking that yacht, restaurant, flight or concert ticket for you.
- Visa Front Line Access. This online service gives you priority access to pre-released tickets for live shows, concerts and other entertainment events.
- Visa Premium lifestyle offers. Visa Platinum cards provide you with access to a variety of exclusive global discounts and offers, ranging from luxury spa retreats to romantic seaside adventures.
- Visa Premium entertainment offers. Get the best seats at concerts, shows and sporting events.
- Visa Premium travel services. Access special offers and discounts for hotels and travel experiences worldwide.
- Global Customer Assistance. Whether you’re at home or out trotting the globe, Global Customer Assistance provides 24/7 support in case you lose your card and need a card replacement or emergency cash.
- Other Visa features. As with any Visa credit card, a platinum product will also include features such as worldwide acceptance, Zero Liability protection in case of fraud and payWave for the ease of cashless payments.
Additional platinum credit card perks
Some providers may also offer a range of perks on top of those already available through Visa Platinum. These could include the following:
- Complimentary travel insurance. This can include free coverage for international and interstate travel as well as for transit accident insurance and auto rental insurance.
- Complimentary purchase insurance. Purchase insurance can include purchase protection, price protection and extended warranty on your card purchases.
- Airport lounge access. Depending on your card provider, you could enjoy global airport lounge access at certain airline lounges.
- Rewards program. You could also earn and spend rewards points in a frequent flyer or other rewards program when using your Visa Platinum.
Other factors to consider when choosing a Visa Platinum credit card
As well as the benefits, rewards and privileges offered directly through Visa Platinum, it’s also important to consider these credit card features:
- Rewards. While your card’s rewards program isn’t technically a feature of Visa Platinum, most platinum cards let you earn more points per dollar spent when compared to regular cards.
- Interest rates. Platinum cards generally charge higher interest rates, which can be a concern if you tend to carry an outstanding monthly balance on your credit card.
- Annual fee. This is also usually higher among premium cards, so it’s important to consider whether the benefits you get will be worth the annual cost of any card you choose.
- Credit limit. Platinum cards also tend to offer higher credit limits than standard cards, so it’s important to consider whether a higher limit would be convenient, or whether it could tempt you to overspend.
- Eligibility criteria. The eligibility requirements for a platinum card are higher than for regular cards and usually include a higher minimum annual income and a stronger credit history.
While Visa Platinum credit cards can offer the prestige and luxury you desire, it’s important to also consider the potential costs they may involve. As with all cards, we recommend that you thoroughly research your available options and compare them before deciding if this type of product and card will suit your lifestyle and spending habits.
Compare Visa Platinum credit cards
Image: ShutterstockBack to top