Visa Platinum benefits
From more rewards to exclusive offers when you travel, shop or dine, find out what perks you can get with a Visa Platinum card.
While classic Visa credit cards include features such as global acceptance, Zero Liability Policy and lost/stolen card reporting, Visa Platinum cards offer you even more premium perks and benefits. Depending on the provider, a Visa Platinum option could give you access to more points per $1 spent, pre-sale ticket offers or even hotel upgrades (among other things).
But platinum credit cards usually have higher annual fees than classic or basic cards, which means the costs can sometimes outweigh the potential benefits. So if you're wondering just what the difference is between a regular Visa card and a Visa Platinum card, here you'll find details of the premium perks that are available with platinum options – as well as what to think about when you're comparing different cards.
What benefits, rewards and privileges can I get with a Visa Platinum credit card?
Credit card providers choose which perks come with their platinum credit cards, typically selecting a range of benefits through their own networks and Visa. With that in mind, here are some of the exclusive Visa Platinum benefits you could enjoy:
- 24/7 concierge services. Access the Visa Platinum Concierge Service with a phone call or email at any time of day (or night) and they will take care of booking that restaurant, flight or concert ticket for you. A credit card concierge can also help with other requests, such as planning events, buying flowers for someone or sourcing other gifts and items on your must-have list.
- Visa Offers + Perks. Previously, Visa has listed different benefits under separate websites and names, but now lists all current offers on the Visa Offers + Perks page. The options vary depending on factors such as when you're looking, where you are and the type of Visa card you have, but typically include:
- Pre-sale tickets. Get access to exclusive ticket offers for music tours, festivals, live shows and more. To give you an idea of different options, Visa has a partnership with Ticketek Australia and also offered pre-sale options for Splendour in the Grass in both 2018 and 2019. (Note: These options used to be offered under the names Visa Front Line Access and Visa Entertainment, so you may still see references to those names).
- Visa Premium lifestyle offers. Visa Platinum cards provide you with access to a variety of exclusive global discounts and offers, ranging from luxury spa retreats to romantic seaside adventures.
- Visa Premium travel services. Access special offers and discounts for hotels and travel experiences worldwide.
- Global Customer Assistance. Whether you’re at home or out trotting the globe, Global Customer Assistance provides 24/7 support in case you lose your card and need a card replacement or emergency cash.
- Other Visa features. As with any Visa credit card, a platinum product will also include features such as worldwide acceptance, Zero Liability Policy in case of fraud and payWave for the ease of cashless payments.
Tip: Save time by asking the concierge for help
If you're looking for a particular type of offer or perk and don't have time to search for it on Visa's website, it's worth asking the concierge for help. Below are details of the relevant numbers to call:
- Visa concierge (Australia): 1800 639 607
- ANZ: 1300 580 765 (personal cards) or 1800 233 688 and Option 3 (business cards)
- NAB Platinum: 1300 730 213 and Option 3 (personal cards) or 1300 496 080 and Option 3 (commercial)
- NAB Signature: 1300 489 410 and Option 3 (personal cards) or1300 498 594 and Option 3 (commercial)
- Westpac: 1300 859 100
You can also visit the Visa website for a full list of concierge contact numbers in Australia and overseas.
Other platinum credit card perks
As well as perks available directly through Visa, credit card providers may offer you a mix of the following premium perks:
- More rewards potential. A platinum rewards or frequent flyer credit card will typically offer you either a higher rate of points per $1 spent or a higher points cap compared to standard cards. This could help you earn more rewards, particularly if you spend a lot on your credit card.
- Airport lounge access. Some platinum Visa credit cards offer complimentary airport lounge invitations or global lounge access through Qantas, Virgin Australia or a lounge partner such as Priority Pass or Véloce.
- Complimentary travel insurance. This can range from comprehensive cover for overseas trips to interstate flight or hotel cover, transit accident insurance and even car rental excess insurance.
- Complimentary purchase insurance. This could include purchase protection insurance against loss, theft or accidental damage, as well as extended warranty cover or a price guarantee on eligible purchases.
What else do I need to think about when looking at Visa Platinum credit cards?
The benefits, rewards and privileges you can get with a Visa Platinum card are only really worth it if they offer you more value than what you pay for the card. This makes it important to choose a card that will fit with your goals and spending patterns. So, the other features you'll need to compare include:
- Rewards. If you're looking at rewards cards, think about what type of points you'll earn and the ways you can redeem them to decide whether you'll get value out of the program.
- Interest rates. Platinum cards generally charge higher interest rates than regular cards. So, if you don't pay off your balance by the due date on each statement, these costs could quickly add up.
- Annual fee. This is also usually higher among premium cards, which means the perks will only be worth it if you think you will realistically use them every 12 months.
- Credit limit. Platinum cards may have offer higher minimum credit limits than standard cards. So ask yourself whether a higher limit would be useful, or whether it could tempt you to overspend.
- Eligibility criteria. A platinum credit card may require a higher minimum income than regular cards, although not all providers lists these details as part of the application requirements.
While Visa Platinum credit cards can offer a little extra luxury, it’s important to also consider the potential costs they can attract. As with all cards, make sure you thoroughly research and compare your options before deciding if a Visa Platinum card will fit with your goals.
Compare Visa Platinum credit cards
Image: ShutterstockBack to top
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.