We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
Originally an association for motoring enthusiasts, the Royal Automotive Club (RAC) now provides a range of automotive services, courses and policies, including discounted travel insurance plans for its members.
Interested in other travel insurance discounts?
What policies are available from RAC Travel Insurance?
The most comprehensive policy available from RAC Travel insurance provides cover for benefits including unlimited overseas medical expenses, personal liability up to $10 million, luggage and personal effects, travel documents, delayed luggage, loss of income and more.
This policy provides the necessary cover for overseas travel with lower maximum payouts and personal liability. You are covered for unlimited overseas medical expenses, personal liability up to $10 million, luggage and personal effects and more.
This covers your medical expenses only while you're overseas, including dental, hospital cash, as well as legal liability.
This policy provides no cover for medical emergencies. All claims related to medical and dental expenses must be filed with your private health insurance.
Ideal for frequent travelling, this policy covers an unlimited number of journeys within the period of insurance. You will be asked to choose your area of travel for the insurance period and you'll get cover for all the essentials and more.
Pros and Cons of RAC Travel Insurance
- Varied policies for local, international and frequent travelling
- Online quotes
- Purchase policies online
- Single-benefit policy for rental vehicle excess
- 24/7 emergency support
- Trip on International plans can be resumed
- Policies can be extended
- Some pre-existing medical conditions not covered
- Not all sporting activities automatically covered
- No option to resume an interrupted journey on the Domestic plan
How do I make a claim with RAC Travel Insurance?
1. Give immediate notice. Get in touch with the insurer as soon as possible to report the incident and file a claim. You can download the claims form from the RAC website or submit your claim online on the Travel Insurance Partners website. Penalties may be levied against you if you wait too long and deliberately delay the process.
2. Supply all necessary documentation. Besides your Claims form and Certificate of Insurance, you will also need to produce police reports, medical reports, receipts and proof of ownership.
3. Duty of disclosure. Your travel insurance policy will be granted or refused based on the information you provide. It’s important to be as honest and complete as possible in answering questions. If your information is found to be false or incomplete, any claims will be rejected and your policy may be cancelled.
RAC Travel Insurance FAQ
More guides on Finder
How to buy SPDR S-and-P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $120 off Nintendo Switch on Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
The magic number: How much you need for financial freedom
Can you achieve financial freedom in the next 25 years?
Ask an Expert