Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Six car insurers could not cover the Mercedes-Benz G-Class. Here's how to get prestige car insurance.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The average yearly cost for Mercedes-Benz G-Class car insurance is likely to be quite substantial. This is in line with the value of the G-Class, which is a prestige luxury vehicle. You'll need to approach prestige car insurers to request a quote from a broker who specialises in covering high-value and performance vehicles.We used the following criteria to calculate average G-Class car insurance costs:
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
- 15,000 kilometres driven per year
- No accidents in the past 5 years
- Driver lives in Sydney
- Car parked in a garage at night, secure car park during day
- 40-year-old, rating one male driver
- White paint
- No modifications
- No insurance add-ons
- Standard excess offered
- Private or commuting use (5 days a week)
- No outstanding finance on the car
- Driver's only vehicle
- Driver is a homeowner
- Age-restricted to 40 or older
How do car insurers calculate the cost of Mercedes-Benz G-Class cover?
A Mercedes-Benz G-Class starts from $277,298.20 driveaway, for the G-Class G 63. The car is categorised as a luxury 4x4 SUV.
The amount you pay for your car insurance will vary depending on your driver rating and history, the location of your home and work, where you park your car, how many kilometres you drive yearly, plus the value of your Mercedes-Benz G-Class. Other variables also impact on the car insurance premium.
Car insurers are really like risk analysers. They scrutinise past historical claims data to predict the chance of you making a claim.
About the Mercedes-Benz G-Class
The Mercedes-Benz G-Class, or G Wagen, first launched in 1979. As with many other 4x4s like it, the G-Class, or Geländewagen as it was also known, existed first as a military vehicle. The rugged 4x4 vehicle is a result of an agreement between Daimler (the Mercedes-Benz parent company) and Austrian-based manufacturers, Steyr-Daimler-Puch.
The vehicle was rigorously tested in arduous conditions, from a punishing salt-lake in the Sahara Desert, to the freezing Arctic circle. Even Steyr's own test grounds are renowned for being extremely gruelling. At the time of launching, the G-Class was entirely hand-assembled.
Over the years, the model has transitioned from a military support vehicle to a commercial off-roader into a more luxury high-end 4x4 rivalling cars like the Range Rover. Later, Mercedes' performance division AMG began giving the G-Wagen its trademark upgrade treatments. A G-Class won the 1983 Paris-Dakar rally, with F1 driver Jacky Ickx at the wheel.
After decades of continuous production, Mercedes launched the second generation G-Class in 2018. This model kept the enduring and utilitarian looks of the G-Wagen, while featuring more modern equipment, construction and safety features. Just three components are shared with the first-generation G-Class, these are the headlight washers, door handles and spare wheel cover.
The latest AMG G 63 model on sale in Australia has an off-road information centre, 64-colour ambient lighting, power-adjustable front seats, power windows throughout, heated front and rear outer seats, three-zone climate control, a keyless starting function, Nappa leather upholstery, a 12.3-inch high-resolution infotainment display (plus a matching digital driver's readout), sat-nav, voice control, a digital TV tuner, an all-round camera, parking assist, metallic paint, AMG badging, a heap of driver assists, three locking diffs, low-range, AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension, AMG brakes and a sports exhaust system. Fundamentally, it's a luxury 4x4 that will take you almost anywhere you'd like to go, in absolute comfort.
You may find our comparison of SUVs useful if you're considering buying a premium or luxury 4x4 vehicle.
The Mercedes-AMG G-Class G 63
Other factors car insurers will consider that influence the costs of covering your Mercedes-Benz G-Class
- The G-Class' model year. The newer the G-Class, the more readily car parts are available with Mercedes dealer support.
- Trim level. Higher specification models have additional gadgets and tech, which add to the purchase price of the car. The more your vehicle is worth, generally the higher the cost to cover it will be.
- The paint finish and colour of the G-Class. Metallic and pearlescent finishes both add extra cost to the purchase price and complexity to the repairs after an accident.
- The type of cover. Comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, or third-party premiums all vary in price.
- Estimated annual driving distance. The more you drive, the higher the risk is that you'll need to make an insurance claim.
- Factory-equipped safety and security equipment. The G-Class has technologies like autonomous emergency braking, called Active Brake Assist, that can help to lessen the severity of incidents, even avoiding them altogether.
- Day/night parking location. A G-Class locked in a secure garage in a low-crime postcode should be cheaper, in theory, than one left on the roadside or parked in a higher crime rate region.
- The driver's age. Younger drivers generally pay more for car insurance. Some insurers were unable to insure the G-Class for under 25s, due to the high value.
- The driver's rating. Rating one drivers have a five-year history of no claims, which can help to allay risk in car insurer's eyes.
- Marital status. Car insurers may place married persons in a lower risk category.
- The driver's gender. Car insurance data indicates men have a higher probability of making claims for serious road injuries, in NSW at least.
- Car usage. Drive your Mercedes-Benz G-Class for work or business trips? Your insurance cover could be more costly as a result.
- Modifications. If your vehicle is modified in any way, for performance or comfort reasons, even with factory options, you'll face higher premiums.
- Market value or agreed value cover. If you insure your Mercedes G-Class for a pre-agreed value, you'll realistically pay more for the policy, than if you just covered it for the insurer-determined market value.
- Theft rates. If car insurers notice there's a pattern in claims, for example, if the G-Class becomes a favourite of car thieves, the cost to insure one will increase accordingly.
Insurance costs fluctuate depending on your location, your driving record and dozens of other variables. Make sure if you're requesting prestige car insurance quotes for the Mercedes-Benz G-Class to get several quotes. This way, you can compare the different policies and select the best policy for your G-Class. Don't forget to ask if you can qualify for any discounts as the G-Class has several active safety assists.
What is prestige car insurance?
We sought car insurance quotes for the Mercedes-Benz G-Class from six mainstream car insurer companies. However, they all determined the car was outside of their underwriting criteria.
However, prestige & enthusiast car insurance brokers deal solely in high-value, performance and classic models. Read our guide on choosing a prestige car insurer.
Random Mercedes-Benz facts
- The first Mercedes-Benz car came before the company ever existed. It was a three-wheeled, gas-engined vehicle with the number: DRP 37435. It is hailed as the origins of the modern car. It produced just 0.55kw at 400rpm!
- Mercedes motorsport teams are nicknamed "Silver Arrows", so-called for the automotive manufacturer's silver racing colours. Reportedly, back in the day, countries had standardised motorsport colour schemes. Silver was Germany's.
- Bertha Benz, the wife of Karl Benz, undertook the world's first long-distance car journey. She drove 104-106km, one-way, to visit her mother. She had to make several repairs along the route before telegramming Mr Benz to inform him of her arrival. Reportedly, she borrowed the vehicle from the factory without permission, refuelling at pharmacies on the way.
- The Mercedes brand was actually the name of one of the manufacturer's early car dealer's daughters, Mercédès. This first name has a Latin origin, which means "mercies".
- We think of hybrids as a recent development, but Mercedes developed a hybrid vehicle as far back as 1906. The Mixte had two wheel hub motors, plus a combustion engine. The technology was later integrated into buses and fire trucks.
How safe is the Mercedes-Benz G-Class?
In 2019, the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) scored the G 63 G-Class a 5-star safety rating. This rating applies to the G 63 model only.
The G-Class scored the following in each safety category:
- Adult occupant safety: 90%
- Child occupant safety: 85%
- Vulnerable road users: 78%
- Safety assist: 73%
Standard safety features include:
- Dual front airbags
- Side chest airbags – front and second row (outboard seats)
- Curtain airbags for front and second rows
- Driver and front passenger knee airbags
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB – with City, Interurban and Vulnerable Road User)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
More guides on Finder
Cyber Monday air fryer sales: Up to 85% off
Save up to 85% on select air fryers and multi-cookers during the Cyber Monday sale on Amazon, eBay, Catch and more.
The best Cyber Monday tech deals in Australia
Cyber Monday has landed, which means its time to get a deal on some fancy tech, from phones and headphones to laptops and cameras.
Cyber Monday TV sale: Up to $3,000 off smart TVs [Updated]
The best Cyber Monday 2021 discounts include over $1,000 off 75-inch and 85-inch smart TVs from Samsung and Hisense.
How to watch Chelsea vs Man United Premier League live and match preview
It has been a tumultuous week for Manchester United and now they face the Premier League leaders Chelsea.
Best weekend deals from eBay for Black Friday: Games, tech, more
Deal alert: Get up to 76% off at eBay Australia this Saturday with the latest and greatest Black Friday weekend deals.
Best weekend deals from Amazon for Black Friday: Games, tech, homewares
We've handpicked the 50 best Black Friday weekend deals available from Amazon, including games, home appliances, electronics and gadgets.
How to watch Teófimo López vs George Kambosos boxing world title fight live
The WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and The Ring lightweight titles go on the line this weekend. Can Australia's George Kambosos take them all?
How to watch Liverpool vs Southampton Premier League live and match preview
Southampton have produced a solid month, but they'll need to be at their best when they travel to Liverpool on Sunday.
How to watch Arsenal vs Newcastle Premier League live and match preview
The Premier League's only winless team is Newcastle and they travel to Arsenal in desperate need of points.
How to watch Sydney FC vs Macarthur FC A-League live and match preview
One of the youngest of the Sydney derbies will write another chapter this week when Sydney FC host Macarthur FC.
Ask an Expert