With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

Inbound travel insurance

Coming to Australia? Protect yourself with inbound travel cover from Australian insurers.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Are you coming to Australia on a holiday? Are you looking to buy travel insurance for friends or family coming from overseas? What ever the reason, you need to make sure you get the right cover.

While getting travel insurance for non-residents can be tricky it's not impossible. Keep reading to compare the options available to you from the travel insurance brands in the finder.com.au panel and get cover today.

Compare policies for inbound travellers

BrandPolicy NameAge limitMedical coverCancellation coverApply


Inbound Travel InsuaranceUnder 69$10,000,000Benefit limit chosenGet quote

How to apply

Easy Travel Insurance

Inbound PlanUnder 69$10,000,000Benefit limit chosen

How to apply

Aussietravelcover logo

Aussie Travel Cover

Top Non Residents / Basic Non ResidentsUnder 86Unlimited$10,000 / $3,000More info

How to apply

*When looking for cover, make sure to read any guidelines in the PDS to ensure you qualify for the policy. Most insurers have limitations when it comes to covering pre-existing medical conditions for visitors to Australia.

General conditions for applicants

General eligibility requirements for inbound travel insurance include:

  • You must be a non-resident of Australia travelling to Australia for a temporary period and then returning to your home country
  • You must be under 81 years of age at the time the policy is issued (age limits vary between insurers)
  • Your trip must include travel within Australia
  • You must have purchased cover less than 12 months prior to arriving in Australia

What does inbound travel insurance to Australia offer?

An inbound travel insurance policy provides visitors to Australia with protection from a range of potential risks – the kind that all travellers face wherever they go in the world. These typically include:

  • Medical, evacuation and repatriation expenses. This section of the policy protects you from the prohibitive costs of receiving medical treatment overseas. It also covers you if you need to be flown home due to medical complications.
  • Trip cancellation, delay or curtailment expenses and additional emergency expenses. If you're forced to cancel or rearrange your travel plans due to an unforeseen event, this benefit covers the additional expenses you incur.
  • Loss, theft or damage of luggage and personal effects. If your luggage is lost or stolen, this provision provides you with a benefit up to the limit listed in the policy document.
  • Replacement of passports and travel documents. If you lose your passport or your travel documents are stolen, this part of your policy covers you for the replacement costs you incur.
  • Rental vehicle insurance excess. Rental car excess provides cover for the gap or excess charged by a car rental company in the event your car is damaged or stolen.
  • Accidental death and funeral expenses. This cover provides your family with a benefit should you die while overseas and also provides cover for the costs of repatriation of your remains back to your home country.
  • Personal liability insurance. If while you're in Australia you become liable for damages to a third party, this benefit covers you up to the benefit limit for the costs your libel to pay.

Are my children covered as well?

Most inbound travel insurance policies include cover for a visitor’s children at no additional cost. Conditions include:

  • The child or children must be financial dependents of the insured (no independent source of income)
  • They must be under 25 years of age
  • They must be accompanying the insured to Australia
  • They must be named in the insurance policy

While age limits and numbers of children covered can vary between insurers, “kids travel free” is a common incentive included in most travel insurance policies, including inbound travel insurance.

Am I covered for medical expenses in Australia?

Inbound travel insurance can cover your medical and hospital expenses in the event that you suffer an illness or injury while you are visiting Australia. Conditions that typically apply include:

  • You must seek treatment from a registered medical practitioner
  • All expenses must be incurred within 12 months of the illness or injury
  • Your illness or injury must not be the result of a pre-existing medical condition, unless it has been approved by your insurer
  • You must be under the age limit (varies with insurer but usually no older than 80, and with benefit limits placed on those over 60)
  • If you purchase your policy more than a week after arriving in Australia, there is a waiting period before any medical-related claims can be made

Inbound travel insurance exclusions

Specific exclusions that apply to inbound travel insurance include:

  • No cover for pre-existing medical conditions unless approved
  • No cover for snow sports
  • No provision for suspension of the policy
  • No medical cover if you are entitled to Australian health benefits

There are also a range of general exclusions that apply to all travel insurance policies, including inbound travel insurance, where no cover is provided in the following circumstances:

  • Travelling against a doctor’s advice
  • Travelling to seek medical treatment
  • Any unapproved pre-existing medical condition
  • Child birth
  • Changing your mind about travelling
  • Self-inflicted injuries
  • Acting under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Mental illness
  • HIV or AIDS-related infection or illness
  • Riot, civil unrest, war or military coup
  • Malicious or criminal behaviour
  • Reckless or negligent behaviour
  • Racing, hunting or participating in unapproved extreme activities
  • Sailing in international waters
  • Professional sports
  • Scuba diving unless licensed or with a licenced instructor
  • Riding a motorcycle without an appropriate licence
  • Nuclear weapons or materials
  • Government intervention or prohibition
  • Failure to avoid further losses
  • Financial default of a travel provider

Inbound travel insurance FAQs

  • Question. Can I get cover for medical only?
  • Question. Am I able to get cover with the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA)?
    • Answer. Yes. As these policies are designed for travellers coming to Australia on a short term basis, they cover medical treatment. However, if you're from a member country, you will be able to receive medical treatment with the RHCA.
  • Question. I am a non-resident living in Australia, what cover can I get?
  • Question. Can I cancel my policy?
    • Answer. Yes. Most policies have a cooling off period of roughly two weeks.
  • Question. How much does inbound travel insurance cost?
    • Answer. The cost of inbound travel insurance depends on various factors including your age, whether you have any existing conditions and the duration of your trip.

Inbound travel insurance vs normal travel insurance

Travel insurance is an essential item for everyone who travels, regardless of whether or not you’re an Australian resident. It provides cover for medical emergencies when you aren’t eligible for local health cover, and it reimburses you for unavoidable trip cancellations and delays as well as lost, stolen or damaged luggage and personal items.

The main difference between regular travel insurance and an inbound policy is that regular insurance requires you to be a resident of the country in which you apply for cover. An inbound policy is designed for non-residents visiting Australia and provides the same comprehensive level of cover for those who would otherwise not qualify for Australian travel insurance.

Travel risks for inbound visitors to Australia

With a low crime rate and reasonably high standards of health care, Australia is a relatively safe place for visitors. But there are some risks for travellers who are unfamiliar with the landscape and Aussie way of life. Potential hazards include:

  • An environment that can be harsh and unforgiving, with extreme heat, bushfires, floods and cyclones occurring regularly
  • A variety of venomous snakes and spiders on land, and sharks, marine stingers and crocodiles in our waters
  • Surf beaches that can be potentially treacherous if swimming in unpatrolled areas
  • High UV ratings, especially in summer, requiring protection at all times
  • Vast regions of outback wilderness, where precautions need to be taken when travelling in remote areas

While all of these things can potentially pose a risk to inbound visitors, taking precautions and observing local advice and warnings will ensure that your visit to Australia is a safe and memorable experience.

Compare travel insurance policies today and get covered

Picture: Shutterstock

More guides on Finder

  • Travel insurance for 457 visa holders

    Is travel insurance really necessary when you’re coming here on a visa? The answer is "yes" and this guide looks at what you need and why you need it when travelling to Australia on a 457 visa.

  • Travel insurance for visitors to Australia

    Are you a non-resident living in Australia and wanting to travel overseas? Don't fret – you can still get travel insurance.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

5 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    ElenaFebruary 12, 2019

    A 17 year old relative of mine is coming to study in Australia for 10 months. Her father has asked if it is better to use the insurer recommended by the organisation for her health and travel insurance or to purchase an Australian policy? He is concerned the organisation’s recommended company is too expensive. What do you recommend?
    Thank you

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniFebruary 14, 2019Staff

      Hi Elena,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      You may refer to our list of visitor travel insurance. As per the said page, since she will be studying in Australia, she can benefit from having travel insurance in place, in addition to Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). Although OSHC is a visa requirement and provides essential cover for health care costs, it’s still recommended that your relative takes out travel insurance to offer financial protection against risks not covered by OSHC, if she’s indeed planning on travelling while on her student visa.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  2. Default Gravatar
    SammyNovember 3, 2016

    I am sponsoring a friend to Australia and i would like to ensure they have a travel insurance. Can i purchase a travel insurance on their behalf?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardNovember 4, 2016Staff

      Hi Sammy,

      Thanks for getting in touch. You should check whether private health insurance is a requirement for your friend’s visa, as the level of cover offered by travel insurance, along with the maximum cover periods, may not satisfy visa requirements.

      If health insurance is not a requirement, you would be able to buy the policy for your friend. If they need a higher level of cover, you may want to look into overseas visitors health cover.


    • Default Gravatar
      SammyNovember 4, 2016

      Thank you for your reply and i will follow your suggestion

Go to site