CommBank credit cards that earn Qantas Points
You can choose to earn Qantas Points with a CBA Awards credit card – here’s how and what you need to know.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
CommBank Awards credit cards give you a way to earn either Awards Points or Qantas Points on your eligible spending. To earn Qantas Points, you just need to opt in to Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct for a $30 yearly rewards fee.
If you do this when you apply for a new card, you could even get bonus Qantas Points through an introductory offer. So, let's take a look at your options.
Which CBA credit cards can earn Qantas Points?
How many Qantas Points can you earn with a CommBank Awards credit card?
You'll get 1 Qantas Point for every 2.5 CommBank Awards points. As an example, you can earn 1 CommBank Awards point per $1 spent with the CBA Platinum Awards credit card. This means you'd earn 0.4 Qantas Points per $1 spent with this card.
How to opt in to earn Qantas Points
There are two main ways you can opt in to earn Qantas Points with an eligible Commonwealth Bank Awards credit cards:
- When you apply for a new card: Choose the Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct option and include your Qantas Frequent Flyer details as part of the application.
- When you already have a CommBank Awards credit card: Log in to your CommBank Awards account online and opt-in through the redeem travel page. Or, call the CommBank Awards team on 13 16 61.
Key details to keep in mind
- Qantas Frequent Flyer membership. You need to be a Qantas Frequent Flyer member and have to provide your membership number before you can earn Qantas Points with a CBA credit card. The name on your CommBank credit card and your Qantas Frequent Flyer account must also match. If you're not already a member, check out Finder's guide to joining the Qantas Frequent Flyer program for free to save on the $99.50 joining fee.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct fee. The $30 annual rewards fee for Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct adds to the card's costs. Remember to factor that in, along with the card's annual fee and other potential charges.
- Point transfers. Points will be transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account at the end of each statement period (basically once a month). You should see them in your account within 3 days of the transfer.
- Existing CommBank Awards Points. If you earned CommBank Awards points before opting in to Qantas Frequent Flyer Direct, they will automatically be converted to Qantas Points and transferred to your frequent flyer account at the end of the next statement period.
- Rewards program conditions. Once your CommBank Awards points have been exchanged for Qantas Points, the conditions of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program apply and you can't convert them back to CommBank Awards points.
Want to get more value from earning Qantas Points? Check out Finder's guide to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program for tips and insights on the best ways to redeem points. Or, compare other Qantas Frequent Flyer credit cards to choose one that's right for you.
Compare Qantas Frequent Flyer Credit Cards
More guides on Finder
CommBank Ultimate Awards Credit Card with Qantas Points
With 70,000 bonus Qantas Points on offer and up to 1.2 points per $1 spent, how do the features on this CommBank credit card stack up?
CommBank Neo Business Interest-Free Card
This no interest, flat-fee credit card gives you a way to manage your business spending with predictable costs.
CommBank Neo card
A new type of credit card to the Australian market, the CommBank Neo doesn’t charge any interest but has a monthly fee instead. Find out more in our comprehensive review.
CommBank Ultimate Awards credit card
The CommBank Ultimate Awards credit card offers up to 3 points per $1 spent, airport lounge access and international travel insurance.
CommBank Awards Program
CommBank Awards is one of the largest credit card rewards programs in Australia, so how much value can you get?
CommBank Essentials Credit Card
With low credit limit options and monthly account-keeping fees instead of an annual fee, the CommBank Essentials can help keep your credit card spending in check.
CommBank Business Platinum Awards Credit Card
Simplify your account management and reward your business spending with points.
CommBank Business Awards Credit Card
Enjoy Awards points for your spending, MYOB and Xero integration and the option of an additional cardholder with the CommBank Business Awards card.
CommBank Business Interest-Free Days credit card
The CommBank Business Interest-Free Days credit card gives you a way to manage cash flow and offers integration with MYOB and Xero accounting software.
CommBank Business Low Rate Credit Card
The Commonwealth Bank Business Low Rate card offers a competitive interest rate on purchases and no annual fee, plus no additional cardholder fee.
Ask an Expert