Be a part of a rewards program that gives you great freedom when it comes to redeeming points for rewards.
Different Bank of Queensland (BOQ) credit cards come linked to the Q Rewards Program, a credit card rewards program that Citigroup offers. This rewards program gives eligible BOQ credit card users the ability to earn Q Rewards points as per their spending, and they can redeem their accumulated points for a variety of rewards.
How can I earn Q Rewards points?
Membership to Q Rewards Program is free, and when you get a BOQ credit card linked to this program you stand to earn reward points each time you use your card to make an eligible purchase. The number of points you earn, or the earn rate, depends on the card you use, as you can see below:
- When you use the BOQ Platinum Visa credit card to make eligible purchases, you earn 2 Q Reward Points for every dollar spent.
- Every dollar spent using a BOQ Blue Visa credit card earns 1 Q Reward point.
New Platinum cardholders can earn as many as 1,000 bonus Q points every month. To earn these bonus points, you, as a new cardholder, should spent $1,000 on retail purchase within the first 12 months of the card’s approval date.
What can I redeem my Q Reward Points for?
When it comes to redeeming your reward points, you get numerous options from which to choose, details of which are as follow:
- Merchandise. If you wish to redeem your Q Rewards points for merchandise, you can find items across categories like apparel, bags and luggage, beauty, bed and bath, books, electronics, kitchen, musical instruments, jewellery, sporting goods, toys and watches.
- Cash rewards. Cash rewards come in the form of cashback, charity donations and gift cards. Charities you can donate to include Fred Hollows Foundation, Australian Red Cross and Starlight Children's Foundation. In choosing from gift cards, some of the businesses on the list include David Jones, Bunnings, QT Hotel and Spa, BP, Coles, Harvey Norman and Target.
- Travel Centre. You can redeem your Q Rewards points through Travel Centre for flight tickets, accommodation, holiday packages, cruises and rental cars.
- Velocity. Q Rewards Program members have the option of transferring their Q Rewards points to their Velocity Frequent Flyer Program accounts. If you wish to do so, you have to transfer a minimum of 30,000 Q Rewards points, and you’ll earn one Velocity point for every three Q points.
Which Bank of Queensland credit cards earn rewards?
BOQ gives you the ability to choose from three different credit cards, two of which come linked to the Q Rewards Program. Details of these cards are as follow:
|Features||Platinum Visa||Blue Visa||Low Rate Visa|
|Rewards program||Q Rewards||Q Rewards||n/a|
|Annual fee||$0 p.a. annual fee for the first year ($129 p.a. thereafter)||$60 p.a.||$55 p.a.|
|Balance transfer||0% p.a. for 12 months||0% p.a. for 6 months||0% p.a. for 14 months|
|Interest-free period||Up to 55 interest-free days on purchases||Up to 44 interest-free days on purchases||Up to 55 interest-free days on purchases|
|Complimentary insurance||Complimentary travel and purchase insurance cover Access to a 24/7 concierge service||Complimentary purchase cover insurance||n/a|
What else should I keep in mind?
If you’re considering getting a BOQ Q Rewards credit card, pay attention to the following:
- Minimum income requirements. Getting a BOQ Q credit card requires that you meet the given card’s minimum income requirement. To apply for the Blue Visa card you should earn at least $25,000 each year, and to apply for the Platinum card you should earn a minimum of $35,000 p.a.
- Credit limits. A higher credit limit brings with it greater spending power and the ability to earn more reward points. While the maximum credit limit of the Blue Visa card is $10,000, this increases noticeably to $30,000 with the Platinum card. In assigning your card’s limit, remember that BOQ would consider your existing financial condition and your ability to repay.
Getting a BOQ credit card linked to the Q Rewards Program can be a good idea if you wish to earn rewards as per your spending, given that it gives you a plethora of options when it comes to redeeming your accumulated points for rewards. Don’t forget, though, that this is not the only credit card rewards program of its kind, so take some time to compare it with others.