Credit cards for online shopping
Check-out securely and save on extra fees when using a credit card for online shopping.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Paying on plastic can be an easy way to shop online, but there are some cards that are better to use than others. You can use this guide to compare credit cards that will protect you from fraudulent transactions, doesn't charge extra fees for overseas purchases and can help you cut down on interest costs.
0% p.a. for 15 months on purchases
$150 Woolworths gift card
Offer ends 31 January 2021
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Bendigo Bank Credit Card Offer
Enjoy 0% p.a. interest on purchases for 15 months and a $150 Woolworths gift card when you meet the spend requirement.
- Purchase rate of 0% p.a. for 15 months (reverts to 11.99% p.a.)
- $150 Woolworths gift card when you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days
- Cash advance rate: 13.99% p.a. | Minimum credit limit: 500
Compare credit cards for online shopping
How to compare credit cards for online shopping
If you're looking for a credit card to use online, here are some of the card types and features that could benefit you:
- No currency conversion fees. If you often make purchases from online merchants that are based overseas, you should consider a credit card that doesn't charge foreign currency conversion fees. These fees are usually between 3% and 5% of the transaction fee and could easily add up. If the currency conversion fee was 3%, a USD$500 purchase could cost you USD$15 from the extra fee. If you shop online regularly, a card with 0% foreign transaction fees could help you save.
- Fraud protection. Most credit cards offer fraud protection guarantees (such as Visa and Mastercard's zero liability policies), which means you won't be liable for any unauthorised transactions made with your card. Terms and conditions usually apply (for example, you may need to report the fraudulent transaction within a specific number of days). Visa, Mastercard and American Express cards also have fraud monitoring systems in place, so you'll usually be notified as soon as a suspicious transaction (such as a purchase from overseas or a large transaction) is made.
- A store card. You could consider using a card that's linked with a specific retailer that you regularly shop with. If you often use your credit card to buy groceries online, you could consider a Coles or Woolworths credit card to earn Flybuys points and Everyday Rewards respectively. If you often shop at David Jones, the David Jones American Express and the David Jones American Express Platinum credit cards also offer rewards and exclusive perks to both online and in-store shoppers. The Kogan Money Black Card is another product that cardholders can use to earn points as they spend and redeem them for purchases at Kogan.com.
- Low or 0% interest fees. If you're planning to make some big-ticket purchases online or think you'll struggle to repay your balance in full each month, you could consider a card that charges a low ongoing interest rate or a promotional 0% on purchases. Currently, you can compare credit cards with 0% on purchases for up to 15 months and the rate revert to the much higher standard purchase rate when the offer ends. Otherwise, you could consider a card with a low ongoing rate between 9% and 15% for the life of the card.
- A rewards card. If you shop online and always pay your credit card balance in full, you could earn points as you spend with a rewards credit card. While most reward or frequent flyer credit cards award 1 point per $1 spent, some offer a higher earn rate on overseas purchases. This could come in handy if you're using your card to shop online with international merchants.
Alternatives to credit cards: Use a travel card to shop online
If you don't want to use a credit card but want a secure way to make purchases online that isn't tied to your savings account, consider a prepaid travel money card. You can load these cards with funds and use them to make purchases in several foreign currencies. Not only will this save you from currency conversion fees if you're making a purchase in a supported and loaded currency, but it can also help you shop within a budget. You can only spend the amount that's loaded on the card and will need to reload more funds if your balance runs low.
As these cards are usually Mastercard or Visa products, you can use them both online and in-store at millions of locations around the world.
Comparison of travel money cards
Frequently asked questions about using a credit card to shop online
Image: GettyBack to top
More guides on Finder
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Credit Card – Existing Customer Offer
Earn Altitude rewards with Westpac’s Altitude Platinum credit card, while enjoying the benefits and privileges of platinum status.
Tap-and-whoa: Aussies racked up $24 billion on credit cards in December
Funding Christmas festivities pushed Aussies $24.3 billion deeper into debt, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Moschino discount codes January 2021
Pick up some splurge-worthy pieces for a steal with these Moschino discount codes.
MoneyMe Freestyle Virtual Mastercard
Get $250 credit back when you meet the eligibility requirements and 55 days interest-free on purchases.
Where to buy Dal Rossi Chess sets online in Australia
Own one of the finest chess sets crafted by Dal Rossi with our helpful guide.
0% Balance Transfer Credit Card Offers
Pay no interest on your credit card debt and clear it faster with a 0% balance transfer credit card. Compare and apply here.
CommSec vs SelfWealth
We rate the fees and features of both online brokers.
Bicycles Online discount codes and coupons January 2021 | Pay later with ZIP
Cut costs on your cycling equipment, clothing and accessories at Bicycles Online with one of our discount codes.
How to start a mobile app business
Learn the key considerations when it comes to starting and growing your smartphone app company.
Ask an Expert