Fiji travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Fiji from over 11+ brands
Why do I need travel insurance in Fiji?
- It can cover you for emergency medical treatment.
- It can cover medical expenses caused by injuries and accidents, unless it's from an excluded activity.
- It can pay for transport to hospital by helicopter or ambulance, as well as medical evacuations back to Australia.
- If you're renting a car in Fiji, make sure you have car rental excess cover.
- Theft can occur in Fiji. Travel insurance can cover you for lost or stolen valuables. This could include rings, necklaces, phones and watches.
- Terrorism is a risk in Fiji. A few insurers provide cover for medical and hospital expenses caused by an act of terrorism, including the cost of bringing you back home.
Fiji travel insurance: Common exclusions
Every travel insurance policy has things you won't be covered for. Common exclusions include:
- If you purchase cover after the incident has occurred. For example, if you take cover out after you've been injured and need medical attention.
- Pre-existing medical conditions. If you have any major medical conditions, make sure you let your insurer know before taking out a policy. Otherwise you won't be covered for claims related to that condition.
- You travel despite government travel advice. For example, if you travel to areas that have a warning from Smartraveller, travel insurance may not cover you.
- Incidents that occur while you're under the influence of drugs or alcohol. For example, if you go out drinking in Nadi, get injured and need medical attention, travel insurance won't cover you.
- Driving vehicles without a licence. Like Australia, you won't be covered for medical costs or personal liability expenses if you drive without a licence in Fiji.
What add-ons should I look for?
- Watersports like snorkelling, jet skiing and para-sailing are popular activities in Fiji. Make sure to add the right cover to your travel insurance.
- Cruising through Fiji is a popular way to explore the area. Add cover to protect your wallet from missed port departures and pre-paid activities.
Will I be covered for COVID-19?
Travel insurance can cover you for COVID-19 in Fiji. A policy can cover you for the following:
- Rearrangement costs if you catch the virus and need to change your plans. Lots of comprehensive travel insurance policies let you claim up to $5,000 towards these expenses.
- Medical costs due to COVID-19. This can include hospital expenses and RATs if you catch COVID-19 while overseas (but you won't be covered for mandatory PCRs).
- Expenses if you need to isolate. For example, if you catch COVID while you're overseas and need to push back your flight and stay in your accommodation longer.
How do I get cheap travel insurance for Fiji?
- Medical only or basic policies will generally be the cheaper policies on the market.
- Use exclusive deals or promo codes to get a discount.
- Opt for a higher excess. This will make your policy cheaper but more expensive if you have to claim.
- Compare across a handful of travel insurers – they're not all the same.
- Get the most value by buying your policy early. It means you're covered for longer while paying the same price.
What do I do in emergencies?
For emergencies: call 911 (police), 911 (ambulance) or 911 (fire).
In a medical emergency, call for help and then contact your insurer on their emergency assistance line.
Meet our travel expert Angus Kidman
Angus Kidman is the international editor-at-large at Finder. He's an award-winning journalist, avid travel enthusiast and passionate frequent flyer. Angus appears regularly on Sunrise, Today, The Project, Seven News and other TV and radio shows to share his expert tips.
Angus's top Fiji travel insurance tips
- Adventure tours are popular in Fiji, but activities such as quad biking and zip lines might not be covered - check first.
- Take out insurance as soon as you book your trip - that maximises the value of your cover.
- Make sure your cover includes medical evacuation - for more serious issues, you might end up in an Australian or New Zealand hospital anyway.
Why you can trust Finder's travel insurance experts
Our travel insurance engine is completely free to use. You pay the same as buying directly from the insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of travel insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped over one million people find travel insurance by explaining your options simply. We'll never ask for your number or email to see prices. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
FAQs about Fiji
More guides on Finder
Thailand travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Thailand from 11+
Colombia travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Colombia from 11+
Cuba travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Cuba from 11+
Traveling with medication and prescriptions
Learn the necessary steps for traveling with prescription medication.
The Dominican Republic travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for The Dominican Republic from 11+
Guatemala travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Guatemala from 11+
El Salvador travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for El Salvador from 11+
Ecuador travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for Ecuador from 11+
India travel insurance
Ready to get moving? See quotes and compare travel insurance policies for India from 11+
Ask an Expert