Do you only want cover for the bare essentials? Travel insurance without medical? Compare travel insurance for luggage only
Travelling on a budget and only after minimal cover? While not all travel insurers offer policies that don't cover things like medical, there are providers out there. This guide is a quick look at those providers, the policies on offer and what to look for when buying luggage insurance.
Compare luggage only travel insurance
Providers that offer travel insurance for luggage
- FastCover Cancellation and Luggage. FastCover Cancellation and Luggage provides worldwide cover for the total value of your insured luggage and personal effects if they become lost, stolen or damaged. The total value of your belongings is shown on your luggage insurance policy and, as an added bonus, the policy also covers cancellation fees and lost deposits up to the total value of your insured holiday when unexpected circumstances (such as the death of a relative) force you to cancel your journey.
- Webjet Trip Cancellation and Luggage Protection. Webjet Trip Cancellation and Luggage Protection is underwritten by Allianz Australia and covers the nominated amount on your luggage insurance Certificate of Insurance. You can nominate from the following amounts: $500, $1,000. $1,500, $2,000, $2,500 and $3,000. Cover is also provided up to your insured amount for insured travel and accommodation expenses when you need to cancel your trip.
- Expedia Cancellation Only and Cancellation & Luggage. This luggage insurance policy is underwritten by Allianz and offers protection for international and domestic travellers. It offers travel insurance for luggage cover when your luggage and personal effects are stolen or accidentally damaged. Cover is available up to a $5,000 limit on a single policy and $10,000 on a family policy, while the same level of cover is also available for cancellation fees and lost deposits resulting from illnesses, strikes and natural disasters.
- STA Cancellation and Luggage Travel Insurance. Underwritten by Allianz Australia, this STA policy provides $5,000 of cover for stolen and damaged luggage and travel documents. A $250 delayed luggage allowance is also included, along with $50,000 of cover for amendment or cancellation costs incurred due to circumstances beyond your control. Keep in mind that the maximum age to apply is 80 years old.
- Jetstar Travel Insurance Ticket & Baggage Protection. Issued by AIG Insurance New Zealand Limited, this policy provides $5,000 cover for the accidental loss of, theft or damage to your checked baggage. This baggage insurance policy also offers cover for cancellation of your Jetstar tickets, additional accommodation and meals, resumption of trip, hijack and kidnap, and more.
How do the policies compare?
|Policy||What’s covered||Benefit limit|
|FastCover Cancellation and Luggage|
|Webjet Trip Cancellation and Luggage Protection|
|Expedia Cancellation & Luggage|
|STA Cancellation and Luggage Travel Insurance|
|Jetstar Travel Insurance Ticket & Baggage Protection|
The STA policy offers the highest level of cover when it comes to cancellation costs, while it shares the highest $5,000 benefit limit for baggage insurance with the Jetstar, Expedia and FastCover policies. The lowest benefit limits are offered by the Webjet policy.
What does luggage only cover?
Although the exact level of cover offered by luggage insurance varies between insurers, most travel insurance for luggage only policies will cover:
- Accidental damage to your luggage and personal belongings. Your policy should cover the cost of repairing or replacing your items.
- Theft of luggage. Theft of your luggage and personal belongings and the cost of repair or replacement will be covered.
- Lost by airline. Baggage and personal belongings that are lost by an airline or other travel provider. Once again, repair or replacement costs will be covered.
- Cancellation costs. Cancellation fees and lost deposits when unexpected events (for example losing your job or the illness of a relative) force you to cancel your trip.
- Emergency allowance. An allowance to buy emergency clothing and toiletry supplies when your baggage is delayed by a travel provider.
What should I look at in a policy?
- Limits. Each luggage insurance policy features a maximum benefit limit it will pay out for your lost, stolen or damaged luggage, for example $5,000.
- Sub-limits. Many policies will also feature per-item sub-limits that can catch many travellers out. For example, a policy may only pay a maximum of $500 per item, which may not be sufficient cover for high-value items such as laptops and cameras.
- Exclusions. Common exclusions that apply to baggage insurance include no cover if you leave your baggage unattended in a public place, no cover for items left unsupervised in a motor vehicle, and no cover if you fail to take all reasonable steps to prevent any loss or damage.
- When to take out cover. It’s vital that you take out cover before you begin your trip – after all, your baggage can get lost, stolen or damaged as soon as you start travelling.
Won’t the airline pay for it?
In some cases, you will be able to recover some of your losses from the airline responsible for losing or damaging your baggage. However, it should come as no surprise that an airline will always work to minimise its liability when it comes to mistakes involving your baggage, so you need to be aware of the relevant international convention that covers your flight and your rights.
As a general rule, your travel insurance policy will cover the losses that are not recoverable through other means – that is, through your airline. With this in mind, it’s important that you follow all the necessary procedures to seek compensation from your travel provider.
Compare policies and get cover for your luggage today
The level of cover provided varies between insurers and policies, but you’ll typically be able to receive cover when natural disasters and a ride range of other unexpected events have catastrophic consequences for your travel plans. Compare travel insurance for luggage and find the right insurance for you.
Want policies that offer more than just cover for luggage? Compare dozens of insurers
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination