Credit Card Concierge Services
A concierge service can help you with travel, shopping, dining, entertainment, gifts and life in general. Here's how to take full advantage.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Credit card concierge services are fairly standard on most platinum and black credit cards. They give you access to personalised service, in your language, at any time of the day or night anywhere in the world. They can help with fairly standard tasks like making a restaurant booking, all the way up to organising visas when you move countries. Here's how to make the most of this premium perk.
What you'll find in this guide
What is a credit card concierge service?
Generally, a concierge service is a complimentary benefit offered by your credit card provider to handle your requests. Usually they are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are available by phone.
How does a credit card concierge service work?
When you get your card, you'll be given a list of phone numbers you can contact to make your requests. The concierge will inform you of the costs (if any) and options you have before booking or making a purchase that you request. The concierge will not incur any costs on your card unless you’ve approved.
Some high-tier concierge services also come with an app, letting you put your requests in writing as you go. Your concierge will notify you about the details of request, such as the time it will take for your items to be delivered or the details of your restaurant reservation.
What are the types of credit card concierge services?
There are a few types of credit card concierge services dedicated to your particular credit card. Depending on what level your credit card is, the number of concierge services available to you could be different. For example, American Express has a rewards concierge available exclusively to eligible American Express credit cards.
Platinum concierge. This is the standard concierge service to cover all types of personal assistance including flight information, sourcing, purchasing and delivery of tickets for a show, concert or sporting event, providing details of events and shows in your city, hotel and travel information as well as reservations for restaurants. These services are on a referral or arrangement basis and any third party expenses will be the cardholder's responsibility.
Rewards concierge. A rewards concierge offers certain cardmembers a personal concierge service using their membership rewards points if applicable. Rewards concierges can organise your requests by spending your rewards points.
How to compare credit card concierge services
In most cases, the credit card holder will not be able to choose the type of concierge service that comes with their card. Here are some things that your concierge should be providing:
- Lifestyle services. This should cover all types of personal assistance and lifestyle requests not limited to but including; car rental, limousine and car service information, mail and fax packages, holiday house information, shopping location information, floral arrangements, party planning, arrangement for hairstylists, fitness trainers as well as stress relief massages.
- Charges. All concierge services should provide you with detailed information of any costs with your request. You are not charged for the research performed by a concierge. As the cardholder, you are responsible for the following; cost and delivery of the goods and services purchased, any deposits you’ve put down for the item, costs of cancellation, custom duties and any other costs incurred to fulfil your request.
Pros and cons of credit card concierge services
- Concierge services can help with travel, entertainment, gifts, reservations and more.
- Calling a credit card concierge service allows you to speak to a human straight away.
- Using a concierge service doesn't cost you anything extra.
- Most cards with a concierge service charge a relatively high annual fee.
- Credit cards with concierge services tend to charge high interest rates.
Things to avoid about credit card concierge services
- Ignoring your financial situation - A concierge service shouldn’t be the only factor in deciding which credit card is most suitable for you. While this feature is handy, you pay for it within your high annual fee. Concierge services are designed for those who don’t have enough time to do their requests themselves.
Frequently asked questions about credit card concierge services
What are the fees for using a credit card concierge service?
While there is no fee for using the concierge service, any other fees incurred is payable by you, such as the purchase and delivery of the item you’ve requested.
Where can I find credit cards with a concierge service?
Credit card concierge services are fairly standard on most premium and platinum credit cards. Please use the comparison below to help you in your search.
Compare Credit Cards with Concierge Services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top
Ask an Expert