Want to apply for a credit card when you have a bad credit score? Here's what you need to know.
It's difficult to get a credit card in Australia when you have bad credit history. This is because most issuers will only approve your credit card application if you have a good credit history.
While a bad credit score can have a negative impact on your chances of getting a credit card in the short-term, it's possible to improve your credit rating (and increase your chances of credit card approval) over time. Use this guide to learn more about your credit score and how it affects credit card applications. You can also compare other credit options when you have bad credit and find tips to help improve your credit history.
What is my credit score?
Your credit score is based on the details recorded on your credit history file and helps determine your success when it comes to applying for credit. Currently, there is not a standardised way of calculating credit scores, so the credit rating bodies, banks and credit card companies use their own rating systems. Getting a copy of your credit score from one of these sources can help you figure out how likely or unlikely you are to be approved when you apply for a credit card or other loan product. Get Your Free Credit ScoreTo give you an idea of how credit ratings works, here are details of the ratings available when you get a free credit score through Equifax – one of the major credit reporting bodies in Australia's.
|726-832: Very Good|
|0-509: Below Average|
What financial products can I get with bad credit?
While you may be looking for a credit card, it is difficult to get approved when you already have bad credit. As bad credit rating credit cards and no credit check credit cards aren’t available in Australia, you might need to consider some of the following options:
- Prepaid Travel Cards. These travel cards allow you to load up your own funds and then earn rewards points on your spend.
- Debit cards. A good way to avoid debt is to steer away from credit and only spend what you have. Debit cards are debt-proof and widely accepted as payment. But note that using a debit card will have zero effect on your credit report and cannot help you rebuild your credit rating.
- Prepaid credit cards. Prepaid cards are similar to debit cards in the sense that you’re spending only what you have. Unlike a debit or credit card though, you load funds on the card before using it. These cards also don’t affect your credit rating and don’t charge interest, so they can be a good way to build up your budgeting skills. Most prepaid cards are either Visa or Mastercard, so you should be able to use them in the same places you’d use your credit or debit card.
- Bad credit payday loans. A cash or payday loan is a loan of up to $2,000 that has to be repaid between 16 and 365 days after it’s issued. Bad credit payday loans can be a quick answer to your short-term money woes and some lenders even skip the credit check as long as you’re employed. Repaying this loan on time can help with rebuilding your creditworthiness but there may be high interest rates and fees for choosing this option.
- Bad credit personal loans. Personal loans are traditionally used when borrowing larger amounts of money and typically have a stricter approval process than payday loans. But there are some bad credit personal loans on the market that cater especially for people with poor credit ratings. These loans usually come with a flat interest rate and, if you repay responsibly, can be used to rebuild your creditworthiness.
Credit card alternatives for borrowers with a bad credit rating
- Bad credit applicants considered
- Fast approval service
- Borrow up to $2,000
100% confidential application
Sunshine Short Term Offer
A short term loan with a fast and easy application available to those with good or bad credit. You can apply today and get approved for up to $2,000.
- Loan amount: $2,000
- Loan term: 9-15 weeks
- Turnaround time: 30 minutes (conditions apply)
- Fees: 20% of borrowed amount + 4% of borrowed amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick and easy Approval
- No Credit Checks
Short term loan comparisons
Ultimately, a bad credit rating can have a big impact on your financial options, making it difficult to getting a credit card, car loan, home loan or other forms of credit. But instead of looking for bad credit credit cards or no credit check options, you can improve your chances of approval by rebuilding your credit rating and managing money responsibly.Back to top