Travel insurance underwriters
Find out who is behind Australian travel insurance policies.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for border closures
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
|Brand||Underwriter||Who handles general claims?||24/7 emergency assistance providers||Apply|
|ACE||American Express||ACE Assistance|
|Auto & General Insurance Company Ltd||Budget Direct||Budget Direct|
|Lloyd’s||Fullerton Health Corporate Services||Fullerton Health Corporate Services|
|Hollard||Fast Cover||Fast Cover Emergency Assistance|
|Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited||InsureandGo||MAPFRE ASSISTANCE||Get quote|
|Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited||Tick Travel Insurance||MAPFRE ASSISTANCE|
|Lloyd's||nib||nib International Assistance|
|Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company||Gallagher Bassett Services (Travel Insuranz Claims Dept)||Customer Assist|
|Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company||Gallagher Bassett Services (insure4less Claims Dept)||Customer Assist|
|Allianz||Allianz Global Assistance||Allianz Global Assistance|
|Allianz||Allianz Global Assistance||Allianz Global Assistance|
Who underwrites the policies compared on finder.com.au?
At finder.com.au, we aim to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed purchase decision. The table above will help you figure out who you are buying from and who you need to deal with if you have to make a claim circumstances or have an emergency.
- You purchase a policy. When you purchase a policy from an insurance provider or a travel insurance brand, you’ll need to pay a premium.
- Underwriter is paid. The premium goes to the underwriter of the policy.
- Provider takes a cut. The underwriter then pays a commission to the travel insurance provider or brand.
Joe shops online for travel insurance and decides 1Cover Comprehensive Travel Insurance is suitable for his trip to Italy. Joe buys the policy and the premium he pays goes to Lloyd's, the underwriter of 1Cover travel insurance. Lloyd's then pays a portion of that premium to 1Cover as a commission for selling the travel insurance policy to Joe.
If something goes wrong on your holiday and you need to make a claim, you need to know that your travel insurance policy is backed by a reliable underwriter with a simple and efficient claims handling process. A reputable underwriter can ensure you don’t end up out of pocket for unexpected travel disasters and will also offer a 24/7 emergency hotline.
You’ll need to consider the following factors when choosing your underwriter and the service being offered:
- Reputation. You can gauge a company’s standing in the industry through recommendations from industry experts, online reviews and financial comparison websites.
- Experience with the Australian market. Consider how long the underwriter been issuing policies to Australians and if it has a good grasp of the ins and outs of the Australian insurance industry.
- The claims process. Consider what you need to do when you make a claim, how long it takes for claims to be processed, and whether the company has a good reputation for paying out claims.
- The emergency response team. Check to see if the underwriter runs a 24/7 emergency hotline that you can contact from anywhere in the world. An emergency response team that can help you find a doctor, a police station or whatever help you may need in a foreign country can be handy.
- The benefits. The benefits and limitations of a policy can usually be associated with the underwriter.
- The exclusions. Check if the underwriter excludes certain activities and incidents from its policies, such as participation in sports and adventure activities while on holiday. Cross-check that with another underwriter.
You can save time if you compare underwriters instead of insurance policies first. Policies issued by the same underwriter will generally be similar to one another, whereas you’re likely to find bigger differences between a policy issued by underwriter A and underwriter B. You can then look at different policies from the same underwriter to further refine your choice.
Who handles your claim will vary depending on:
- Your policy
- The type of claim
Read your product disclosure statement (PDS) for instructions on who you need to contact in the event of a claim.
Different policy, different process
Columbus Direct Travel Insurance is underwritten by Lloyd’s, but you would need to make a claim for a stolen laptop with Columbus Direct. If you require medical treatment at a hospital overseas, you will need to contact its medical assistance provider, Specialty Group Ltd. On the other hand, if you have a 1Cover policy, you would direct any claim (regardless of its nature) to the underwriter, Allianz.
Ready to compare individual policies? Enter your trip details below
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or Select your destination(s)
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Bitcoin up 21%: Will El Salvador’s big news kick off a fresh bull run?
Bi-weekly gains of just under 9%.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert