Woolworths and Coles Supermarket Gift Cards
Here's what you need to know about buying and using gift cards at the supermarket.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
However, gift cards are subject terms and conditions that you’ll need to pay attention to as both a gift-giver and receiver. Here, we explain the different gift cards available from Woolworths and Coles, how they work and what you should consider when looking at these two supermarket options.
Compare retail credit cards
What gift cards can I buy at the supermarket?
Coles and Woolworths provide a selection of gift cards you can buy both in the supermarket and online. These can be grouped into two main categories:
Supermarket gift cards. These cards are designed to be used for spending at Coles, Woolworths and other participating partner brands. If you get a Coles gift card, these brands could include Liquorland, Kmart and Target, while a Woolworths gift card could also be accepted at Big W and Caltex-Woolworths co-branded service stations. Note participating stores vary depending on the type of Coles or Woolworths gift card you choose, with the most flexible options being the Coles Group & Myer and Woolworths WISH gift cards respectively.
Store and experience gift cards. Coles and Woolworths supermarkets also stock a variety of gift cards for other retailers and brands, such as iTunes, Bunnings, JB Hi-Fi, Village Cinemas and Red Balloon.
While Coles and Woolworths set the terms and conditions for their branded gift cards, the features and requirements of retail and experience gift cards are set by individual retailers. As such, we've focused specifically on Coles and Woolworths supermarket gift cards for this guide.
How to compare Woolworths WISH Gift Cards and Coles Group & Myer Gift Cards
When choosing a supermarket gift card, it's important to consider not only how much money you'll load onto it, but where it can be used. Compare the key details of Woolworths WISH and Coles Group & Myer gift cards using this table so that you can decide which one is right for your needs.
|Key details||Woolworths WISH Gift Cards|
|Expiry||N/A||4 years from the date of issue|
|Min / Max Load||$10 / $500||$5 / $250|
Details correct for cards purchased in-store, based on terms and conditions cited on 4 May 2018
What other details should I consider when comparing Woolworths and Coles gift cards?
As well as where you can use these cards, the expiry date, load values and online shopping options, make sure you consider the following factors:
- Purchasing options. Both Woolworths and Coles gift cards can be purchased in-store or online, although the availability and terms and conditions may vary depending on the type of card you want to purchase. If you have a rewards credit card, you may also be able to redeem your reward points for gift cards from Coles or Woolworths, along with other retailers.
- Fees. While these cards can be purchased-in store at no extra cost (other than the value loaded onto the card), there may be other fees for purchasing physical cards online.
- Card theft or loss. These gift cards are treated as cash. This means that if they are lost or stolen, there is little chance of reclaiming the value of the card.
- Cash equivalent purchase. Woolworths and Coles gift cards are typically classified as "cash equivalent purchases", so if you use a credit card to buy them, the transaction will be treated as a cash advance. This means you'll have to pay a cash advance fee and the cash advance interest rate. The payment also won't be eligible to earn points through a credit card rewards program.
Pros and cons of using a supermarket gift card
- Choice. A gift card is more personal than giving cash but still allows the recipient to choose what they want to buy.
- Online facilities. It’s easy to manage your gift card and check your remaining balance. Simply visit the card issuer’s website to access the online tools.
- Customisable cards. Woolworths and Coles gift cards offer a range of design options to suit different occasions.
- Potential for expiry. A gift card may expire after a period of time and any remaining value on the card will be lost.
- Limited acceptance. A gift card can only be used at certain shops and merchants.
- Limited use. Most gift cards can only be loaded with money once, and used until that balance is cleared or the card expires (whichever happens first).
Woolworths and Coles gift cards are subject to a range of terms and conditions. So before buying one, make sure you compare the features and acceptance of these cards so that you can choose a gift that offers the greatest value to you and the person you're buying it for.
Frequently asked questions
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Why bottle shops are the new points battleground
Woolworths and Coles are holding back bonuses, but their liquor outlets aren't.
Best graphics cards in Australia
Whether you’re putting together a 4K beast, a VR-ready machine or just want to try out PC gaming cheaply, these are the best graphics cards you can buy.
Where to buy gift cards with Afterpay online in Australia
Stuck on gift ideas or short on cash? See our comprehensive list of which online retailers offer gift cards with Afterpay.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Diners Club Personal Card
Diners Club offers a competitive rewards program, travel and shopping perks and can be used at businesses including Coles, Woolworths and Target.
eHarmony | What’s the popular online dating site like?
Here’s everything you need to know about the global matchmaking site eHarmony and how to use it to find love.
Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here's how they compare.
Gift Card Store discount codes and coupons October 2020
Check out these discount codes and see how much you could save on the gift of choice at Gift Card Store.
Netflix frequent flyer wars: Coles and Woolworths points deals compared
Earn Qantas or Velocity points from streaming. Which deal is better?
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.