Woolworths and Coles Supermarket Gift Cards
Where to buy, how to spend and a list of third-party gift cards sold at Coles and Woolworths.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Both Coles and Woolworths offer gift cards that can be used in participating supermarkets and with a wide range of other retailers, like Bunnings, JB Hi-Fi and Village Cinema. These cards can be a convenient and thoughtful alternative to giving someone cash, while still offering a lot of flexibility.
Compare supermarket credit cards
What gift cards can I buy at the supermarket?
Coles and Woolworths provide a selection of gift cards you can buy both in the supermarket and online. These can be grouped into two main categories:
Supermarket gift cards. These cards are designed to be used for spending at Coles, Woolworths and other participating partner brands. If you get a Coles gift card, these brands could include Liquorland, Kmart and Target, while a Woolworths gift card could also be accepted at Big W and Caltex-Woolworths co-branded service stations. Note participating stores vary depending on the type of Coles or Woolworths gift card you choose, with the most flexible options being the Coles Group & Myer and Woolworths WISH gift cards respectively.
Store and experience gift cards. Coles and Woolworths supermarkets also stock a variety of gift cards for other retailers and brands, such as iTunes, Bunnings, JB Hi-Fi, Village Cinemas and Red Balloon.
While Coles and Woolworths set the terms and conditions for their branded gift cards, the features and requirements of retail and experience gift cards are set by individual retailers. As such, we've focused specifically on Coles and Woolworths supermarket gift cards for this guide.
How to compare Woolworths WISH Gift Cards and Coles Group & Myer Gift Cards
When choosing a supermarket gift card, it's important to consider not only how much money you'll load onto it, but where it can be used. Compare the key details of Woolworths WISH and Coles Group & Myer gift cards using this table so that you can decide which one is right for your needs.
|Key details||Woolworths WISH Gift Cards|
|Expiry||N/A||4 years from the date of issue|
|Min / Max Load||$10 / $500||$5 / $250|
Details correct for cards purchased in-store, based on terms and conditions cited on 4 May 2018
What other details should I consider when comparing Woolworths and Coles gift cards?
As well as where you can use these cards, the expiry date, load values and online shopping options, make sure you consider the following factors:
- Purchasing options. Both Woolworths and Coles gift cards can be purchased in-store or online, although the availability and terms and conditions may vary depending on the type of card you want to purchase. If you have a rewards credit card, you may also be able to redeem your reward points for gift cards from Coles or Woolworths, along with other retailers.
- Fees. While these cards can be purchased-in store at no extra cost (other than the value loaded onto the card), there may be other fees for purchasing physical cards online.
- Card theft or loss. These gift cards are treated as cash. This means that if they are lost or stolen, there is little chance of reclaiming the value of the card.
- Cash equivalent purchase. Woolworths and Coles gift cards are typically classified as "cash equivalent purchases", so if you use a credit card to buy them, the transaction will be treated as a cash advance. This means you'll have to pay a cash advance fee and the cash advance interest rate. The payment also won't be eligible to earn points through a credit card rewards program.
Pros and cons of using a supermarket gift card
- Choice. A gift card is more personal than giving cash but still allows the recipient to choose what they want to buy.
- Online facilities. It’s easy to manage your gift card and check your remaining balance. Simply visit the card issuer’s website to access the online tools.
- Customisable cards. Woolworths and Coles gift cards offer a range of design options to suit different occasions.
- Potential for expiry. A gift card may expire after a period of time and any remaining value on the card will be lost.
- Limited acceptance. A gift card can only be used at certain shops and merchants.
- Limited use. Most gift cards can only be loaded with money once, and used until that balance is cleared or the card expires (whichever happens first).
Woolworths and Coles gift cards are subject to a range of terms and conditions. So before buying one, make sure you compare the features and acceptance of these cards so that you can choose a gift that offers the greatest value to you and the person you're buying it for.
Frequently asked questions
What’s the difference between an egift card and a regular gift card?
An "egift card" is a digital or virtual gift card, rather than a physical card. While you swipe a regular gift card at the checkout, with an egift card you simply enter the details from the virtual card to make a purchase. Some egift cards are designed specifically for online purchases, while others are accepted in-store as well.
Why doesn’t my gift card work?
If your gift card doesn’t work, check to see whether the card is still valid. If you’re trying to use the product in-store and you get a bad read message, check to see whether or not the magnetic strip on the back or card is damaged. If it is damaged, you may need to arrange for a replacement. This can be organised by contacting the card issuer customer service.
What if I want to return goods purchased with the gift card?
You should be able to return goods you’ve purchased with your gift card. However, refund policies can vary depending on the store where the items were purchased. So instead of money being refunded onto the gift card, you may be refunded in cash or have the option of getting the funds reimbursed onto your debit or credit card. Contact the store directly to enquire about your refund options for any purchases made with a gift card.
How do I find out about the balance of my gift card?
Most gift card issuers allow you to check the balance of your gift card online. You will need to visit the gift card website and look for the option that lets you log in to your gift card account.
Will I get change from my gift card?
While most supermarket gift cards won't allow you to get cash if there is a balance remaining after your purchase, you can usually continue using the card until you have spent the full amount loaded onto it.
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top
More guides on Finder
Westpac Altitude Platinum Credit Card – Existing Customer Offer
Earn Altitude rewards with Westpac’s Altitude Platinum credit card, while enjoying the benefits and privileges of platinum status.
ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
The ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a competitive rewards program, $0 annual fee for the first year, a $500 gift card, a balance transfer offer and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
Woolworths Team Bank Visa Credit Card
Available to Woolworths Group employees and family, this low-cost card comes with simple features and mobile payment options.
Citi Rewards Card
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Why bottle shops are the new points battleground
Woolworths and Coles are holding back bonuses, but their liquor outlets aren't.
Where to buy gift cards with Afterpay online in Australia
Stuck on gift ideas or short on cash? See our comprehensive list of which online retailers offer gift cards with Afterpay.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Diners Club Personal Card
Diners Club offers a competitive rewards program, travel and shopping perks and can be used at businesses including Coles, Woolworths and Target.
Credit cards vs buy now pay later
Both buy now pay later plans and credit cards give you ways to pay off purchases over time – here's how they compare.
No interest monthly fee credit cards
New no interest monthly fee credit cards, like the NAB StraightUp and CommBank Neo, offer no interest charges, limits up to $3,000 and only charge a monthly fee when you use it. Read more to find out more about how they work in our comprehensive guide.
Ask an Expert