Paperless online credit card statements
Why would you pay for your credit card statement? Go paperless with online statements in a few clicks.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Tired of paying the bank to send you your own credit card statement? Cut back on unnecessary waste and costs by opting to receive paperless credit card statements online for free.
This guide looks at the differences between online and paper statements so you can make an informed decision about how to manage your account.
What’s the difference between printed and paperless online credit card statements?
Paper and electronic statements look the same, the difference being online statements are sent to your email inbox not your postbox.
|Printed statements||Paperless online statements|
|Printed by the credit card provider and sent to you by post||Accessed via Internet banking. Some providers also email your statements via a secured email service|
|Provides you with a physical copy of your statement for review||Allows you to easily store statements electronically for quick recall and review|
|May attract a print statement fee of between $1 and $7 (especially for additional statements)||No cost involved|
|Can take several days to reach you||Can be accessed immediately|
How to access paperless online credit card statements
Many financial institutions provide electronic statements as a default service; you’ll have to opt-in to receiving online statements if this isn’t the case. You can do this by calling your credit card company or logging on to Internet banking. You can check to see whether you’re registered for paperless statements once you’ve linked your credit card to your online banking account.
Follow these four general steps to access your online statements:
1. Log in to your Internet banking account.
2. Select the credit card account you want to view statements for.
3. Select the “statements” option for that account.
4. Click on the statement period you want to view.
You’ll get an email notification when you get a new statement, which should help serve as a reminder to view your statement and make repayments. If you’ve verified your mobile number you can also opt for SMS notifications. Some financial institutions will even send you an SMS code as an extra layer of security before you can open the document. As well as current statements, you can also view past statements online too.
If you want to download your statements, you’ll need an application that can open the PDF file format (such as Adobe Acrobat). You can then save the PDF statement to view or print if you’d like a hard copy.
Other factors to consider
- Automatic notifications. Choose between email and SMS notifications when your statement is available to view online. This is a handy feature if you’ve missed your credit card repayments because of forgetfulness.
- Print statement fees. A clear incentive to go paperless is that paper statements can cost a couple of dollars – additional paper statements cost even more. Not to mention the trees. If you need a physical copy you can always print it at home.
- Financial management preferences. Choose the option that’s most convenient for you. Paperless online statements allow you to manage multiple accounts from your desktop or mobile device. If paper statements are your preference, log in to your online banking facility or contact a customer service representative to select a paper statement service. Remember you can also change when your credit card statement is issued to match when you’re paid.
- Searching for transactions. It’s much quicker to review and search online statements. Paper statements take up space and lack search functionality.
- Statement history. You can view all of your previous statements when you log in to your online banking account. Follow the prompts to navigate to the statement history section.
As well as view your transactions when you get your monthly statement, you can view your transactions for the last 30 days when you log in to your online banking account. Internet banking applications feature search functions that let you set custom ranges such as transaction date and size.
- Security. Thieves can steal your identity using the information on your credit card statement. Cutting the paper trail can prevent this. Online statements are secure if viewed and left on the credit card issuer’s online banking platform.
Paper and electronic statements serve the same function, but paperless versions will help save you money, the environment, paper build-up and time in the long run.
Images: Shutterstock.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 55% off Lay-Z Inflatable Spas, $899 Macbook Air laptops, 36% off Nespresso coffee machines.
Finder’s RBA Cash Rate Survey: 60% of experts blame BNPL for drop in credit cards
Credit cards are being used less and experts say Buy Now Pay Later services such as Afterpay and Zip are to blame, according to new research from Finder. In this month's Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey™, 39 experts and economists weighed in on future cash rate moves and other issues related to the state of the Australian economy.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
7-Eleven Fuel Pass
Save on fuel at 7-Eleven with this fuel card you can use across the WEX Motorpass network.
Response to the Inquiry into Future Directions for the Consumer Data Right
Finder's submission in response to the Inquiry into Future Directions for the Consumer Data Right.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Where to buy trading cards online in Australia
NBA, Pokemon, YuGiOh! Here's where you can get your hands on trading cards online.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Ask an Expert